Rob’s 150 wrasse haven reboot

RobR

58 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Great update Rob! That tank is going to look fantastic and purr like a kitten!

I didn't catch what lights you're planning on running?

Thanks Ty!! Cant wait ti start adding some corals and more wrasse. After the fish get moved over I'll prolly let everyone settle in before any new fish additions. The we'll see how stabilty goes and then corals...

As for lighting got my BML super actinic for Dawn dusk and sticking with my 250 radiums on m80 magnetic ballasts. Love the look of the 250 radiums, maybe someday Ill switch to all LED but for now Its the good ole MH setup...

• Like 1

Thanks Ty!! Cant wait ti start adding some corals and more wrasse. After the fish get moved over I'll prolly let everyone settle in before any new fish additions. The we'll see how stabilty goes and then corals...
As for lighting got my BML super actinic for Dawn dusk and sticking with my 250 radiums on m80 magnetic ballasts. Love the look of the 250 radiums, maybe someday Ill switch to all LED but for now Its the good ole MH setup...

That's a killer lighting combo. No need to change anything Rob.

I forgot! Wrasse city! Got any idea of stocklist?
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

That's a killer lighting combo. No need to change anything Rob.

I forgot! Wrasse city! Got any idea of stocklist?

Good question Ty. So right now Theres my clownfish pair, an eight line flasher wrasse and a two spot bristle tooth tang. So not a whole lot of fish at the moment. Here are some of the fish I plan on getting in no particular order:

golden rhomboid wrasse

lineatus wrasse

vroliks wrasse

hawaiian flame (if I can find one)

pintail wrasse

mccoskers flasher 

some sort of leopard (would love a Choati but they’re so finicky, I had one for about six months then he just stopped eating and wasted away😥)

of course there’s plans for plenty of sps, hopefully a nem soon, and a clam.

got everyone moved over last night and they are all doing well, will post some pics later 

• Like 2

Pics, fish all seem happy and are enjoying the space. Corals the few LPS that I had from the only tank seem a little peeved, guess there’s not enough nutrients in the water yet. Hopefully at some point this week I’ll add a nem for the clownfish. They seem to be lost without one. 

CAD8065F-0550-4A38-AF65-655CFA42336A.jpeg

425DD88E-6AC7-4106-BC2B-48B815FF470E.jpeg

74E1946F-5022-4F71-9D05-9ABD8585202E.jpeg

A1F605E7-5DF1-445B-8C68-4926AEDFD749.jpeg

• Like 3

Good question Ty. So right now Theres my clownfish pair, an eight line flasher wrasse and a two spot bristle tooth tang. So not a whole lot of fish at the moment. Here are some of the fish I plan on getting in no particular order:
golden rhomboid wrasse
lineatus wrasse
vroliks wrasse
hawaiian flame (if I can find one)
pintail wrasse
mccoskers flasher 
some sort of leopard (would love a Choati but they’re so finicky, I had one for about six months then he just stopped eating and wasted away[emoji26])
of course there’s plans for plenty of sps, hopefully a nem soon, and a clam.

got everyone moved over last night and they are all doing well, will post some pics later 

I knew with your fish list there would be at least one I'd have to look up. Nice!

Quick update. My scoly is doing pretty well, but my Acans seem to be melting away, I think the tank is too clean right now being new. The skimmer stopped foaming as well so I turned it off and will leave it off for a few days to a week to let a little junk build up. Bio load is pretty light right now 4 fish a scoly, two acan colonies and a torch ( which is also not happy). Then I added a new nem which the clowns haven’t found yet but big thanks to Jake and RCA for this beauty. 

Also did some water tests today just to see where everything is at... 

sg 1.025

alk 8.32

cal 470

mg 1425

So nothing to crazy there. Will just keep on track and things should start to settle in.

EFF0C18D-F038-43DB-9E58-73587F4871E7.jpeg

• Like 1

I've never really had success with acans. They don't appreciate the higher flow, higher lights, and lower nutrients in my tank. Any of those other conditions you think caused their demise other than your lower nutrients?

On 6/22/2018 at 8:41 AM, FarmerTy said:

I've never really had success with acans. They don't appreciate the higher flow, higher lights, and lower nutrients in my tank. Any of those other conditions you think caused their demise other than your lower nutrients?

One of the colonies has completely melted away the other is ok but not happy. Really don’t know what else it could be parameters look ok. Same ro/di, salt, and lights they were under before. Really the only thing that changed was the bigger tank, cleaner water, and the super actinic bml strip. Don’t think the actinic lights would do it, but I could be wrong. There could be something I’m missing but can’t test for, we’ll see how things do over the next few days. A triton test may be in order, and will certainly get one done prior to adding any SPS

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well quick update, not too much going on in the tank right now. It is still going through the somewhat ugly phase as the diatoms have gone away but now Im dealing with a cyano outbreak.  Did a big water change the other day and sucked out a lot of red slime, it seems to be on the decline.  All of my acans melted away completely so i I;m down to my scoly, and torch which lost a few heads and my nem.  Every thing seems to be settling in now and I had to add a small fan to the sump because my temps were reaching almost 84 degrees the fan is keeping it a much more reasonable 81 while the halides are on. Just waiting on the cyano to die off then, I'll start looking at adding some more fish and then corals. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2018 at 12:28 PM, mhart032 said:

Iodine dip or luglos, for the acans, did they turn brown and slimmy? Could be brown jelly. I saved a colony before with the iodine treatment, and hand feeding it rods. Might be worth a try. 

Thanks for the info I'll keep that in mind, no unfortunately they just melted away over a few days and they all are gone. Not sure if the tank was just too new and not enough nutrients for them. My torch was ticked too and I lost a couple of heads fortunately it has recovered some and looks a little better now. The scoly never had any issues whatsoever.