To top or not to top.

Beaux

My first nano reef tank and I was wondering. What do most of you all prefer? I know some of the pro's and con's to having an all glass top. Is there that much difference? I know it helps keep the evap low, but does the glass filter out some of the benefits from the lighting? The other question would be about the contamination. With 2 parrots, 4 dogs and 3 humans, that is a lot of dander plus the household dust. If no top is better would a skimmer help with everything that would land in my tank? Or should I just keep a lid on it?

On a tank as small as a nano it can certainly help with evap, which is important if you travel a lot. Otherwise your salinity will be constantly changing which has more impact when there's only a small volume of water.  The main issue is that the cover will trap heat, but that usually isn't an issue on a nano since you'll run smaller lights.

Small tanks are much easier to control quality with regular water changes.  I wouldn't worry about pets, I had 2 dogs and 2 cats with my tanks and it was never a problem.  I've run skimmers on small tanks and found that it's just not worth it, but I'm sure there are other opposite opinions regarding them.

Archived