Proper lighting

Beaux

I have done some research on lighting. I understand how the correct lighting will help my tank and corals. When I read online I get many mixed reviews, and going into my lfs only proves they would like me to purchase the most expensive set ups they carry. I want my tanks to thrive so is that high dollar phone controlled set up worth the $250? And what about timers? The set up I have now has the on, off, and moonlight settings so a timer won't work with that. I am pretty consistent with the amount of lighting it gets everyday. Would the upgrade be worth it?

Hello FarmerTy,

Thanks for the response.I am not sure about what I have currently, had it for a while.The ones they use at the lfs show the vibrant colors of the corals, but my lighting does not. The lfs set up would be $500, $250 for two. I can not afford that. I can only hope that there is some type of lighting that brings out the colors and help them thrive?

Also from your experience does placement matter much? IE. I have a glass top and the bar sits directly above it, vs one that might be mounted higher up?

Hi Beaux,

I'm using 2 of these on my 75 Gallon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UMXAR5S

They're not controllable with the Apex but they do have their own timer. They have two channels so you can adust blue and white. 165 watts each. I'm still pretty new too. I should be adding my first corals next week.

Cheers,

Paula

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply Paula. This tank is only a nano, 20 L. They look good but would only one be enough for that size? I think 2 would be overkill for my small tank. I just got a 45, those might be perfect for when I start setting it up.

Yes, you could keep some softies with that light and maybe some lower light corals. If you wanted to upgrade, I've had great success with Ocean Revive T247 lights. I think the fine folks at River City Aquatics can order them for you.

They are pretty cheap and pack a great punch that you can keep any corals under them, including the high light corals.

Archived