Reactor in the overflow

Mlaw

I have a 60 gallon cube with a center overflow. It has the standard two pipes for sending water down to the sump and return.

This space has always bothered me. I can't stand wasted space and the display tank is premium real estate. I considered filling the whole thing with live rock rubble but that's a bad idea for a lot of reasons. Then it hit me. Why not park a small carbon reactor in there? There is a roughly 3 inch by 3 inch space between the pipes. Not huge but there are some reactors on the market that would fit that.

I realize that we aren't talking  about a big reactor but every little bet counts. Especially if the  goal is water clarity and you are running carbon. Also the pumping should create some water movement at the bottom of the overflow potentially reducing the need to clean up settled debris. 

Am I missing something? Is the cost/benefit not in line or is there some other reason not to do it?

might be a pain to do maint on it there.  have you thought about using it as a sort of fuge?  stock it w/ macroalgae and stuff.

i think the rubble idea was a good path.. just not loose rubble, maybe make some sort of acrylic column that fits in there w/ vented sides, etc?

I wouldn't necessarily consider it wasted space.  There's going to be stuff living in there that wouldn't live in your tank with the brighter lights and/or competition with what's in your DT.   As far as using a small reactor for a 60 gallon system something that only holds a cup or so would be more than sufficient.  There's lots of ways to make one (here's a thread form a few years ago, I have a simple DIY in post #10)and there are small internal filters like this Aqueon that might work.

Archived