coral genomics at UT Austin: getting in touch

Mikhail Matz

Hi folks - my joining this group is long overdue! But better late than never. I am a professor at UT Austin (Department of Integrative Biology) studying genomics of coral adaptation. More info (and links to papers) here: http://matzlab.weebly.com/ 

Please feel free to contact me if you have difficult questions about coral biology, and especially if you observe something unusual about your corals.

cheers

Misha Matz

• Like 2

Hi folks - my joining this group is long overdue! But better late than never. I am a professor at UT Austin (Department of Integrative Biology) studying genomics of coral adaptation. More info (and links to papers) here: http://matzlab.weebly.com/ 
Please feel free to contact me if you have difficult questions about coral biology, and especially if you observe something unusual about your corals.
cheers
Misha Matz
Hi Dr. Matz,

Happy to see you on here!

-Ty Ta

5 hours ago, Mikhail Matz said:

cheers

Misha Matz

Welcome!  We're glad you found the time to drop by.  I saw your request for mille's, please don't be shy if there is anything the club can do to help you and your team out with their research!

Mike 

Welcome to the club!  Dr. Wright's presentation last summer at C4 on the different responses of genotypes to stressors was fascinating as well as your paper on holobiont immune resopnse of A. millipora!  Can't wait to see what your research with captive grown specimens might show!  (Your tank size is a little vague though, is it 10" x 10" or 10' x 10'? :D  )

Haha, I have 10 tanks 10 gallons each. Our philosophy of coral keeping is quite different from typical hobbyist: the more it is like a simple bucket, the better, and there should be many small separate ones rather than one big one. Tanks are entirely independent, water quality is maintained by regular changes (we go through Instant Ocean pretty fast). Advantage - there is practically nothing in this that can break or get out of control, and we have independent replicates for good statistics. Disadvantage - it does not look too pretty. Corals can live there for years (we hand-feed them Coral Frenzy, too).

Yes, we collaborated with Rowan Martindale! She is a paleontologist, though, her interest is mostly old dead coral. Which is quite opposite from mine, as an evolutionary biologist  - Im interested in where and how the future coral will be.

Rachel Wright was a brilliant student, yes! At Harvard now.

• Like 4

yeah exactly

what means of circulation do you provide for your corals? and lighting?

Most of his research in done in the field so they keep very little coral stock at the lab. The ones that are kept at the lab are in primitive setups as their main function is purely for survival of the frags for research and not aesthetics as a hobbyist would focus on. They are mostly in small 10 gallon tanks with a HOB filter and get daily water changes.