The Holy Grail at MACNA

"More precise than manual testing methods". Yes, but more accurate????? I guess it doesn't matter, we really care about precision and stability of water quality for Alk, Ca, and Mg anyway. Neat-O! Looks pretty slick. I wonder how many times it'll need to be sent in for repair along with all the other Apex items that break every year :fool:

the kicker is the 30-day expiry of re-agents.  i bet they would last longer if you made a little fridge to put this unit in :)

the isaac pricepoint....  $350-400 for the unit.  reagent 3-packs: $30.   ooorrr.... $200-250 for the unit and $50-60 for reagent 3-pack.

lets see how they price this out and fleece us :( 

2 hours ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

"More precise than manual testing methods". Yes, but more accurate????? I guess it doesn't matter, we really care about precision and stability of water quality for Alk, Ca, and Mg anyway. Neat-O! Looks pretty slick. I wonder how many times it'll need to be sent in for repair along with all the other Apex items that break every year :fool:

I'm alwaayyyyys game for a good old test-off. 

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

the kicker is the 30-day expiry of re-agents.  i bet they would last longer if you made a little fridge to put this unit in :)

the isaac pricepoint....  $350-400 for the unit.  reagent 3-packs: $30.   ooorrr.... $200-250 for the unit and $50-60 for reagent 3-pack.

lets see how they price this out and fleece us :(

The thing about reagents is that they are just chemicals. Chemicals that can be identified and sourced independently. 

59 minutes ago, jolt said:

For those of us with a classic Apex, this device is a non-starter.  I stopped by and checked it out at the Neptune booth, and they told me it requires a new Apex.

Well jeez that's pretty lame! Who knows how many years it'll be until I upgrade to a new Apex. I still use my Reef Keeper from 2008 on my QT tank! Maybe by the time I'm due for a hardware upgrade all the kinks will be worked out and the price will have come down :thumbsup:

There's no way that's legit. I would bet dollars to doughnuts that if you popped those things open that even *if* there was a significant computation power difference between the Apex720 and the classic, that it would in no way impact it's ability to accept trident input. 

It would be nice if we had a EE around here knowledgeable in the subject who could hold their feet to the fire. If anything, I would respect the honesty about planned obsolescence vs a white lie. Just say you cant continue to have evolution of features and still support an ever growing product line. anything other than what they said. 

im willing to bet its just a firmware subroutine which checks your hardware revision.  i bet the base unit just receives numbers when the module is complete, not a steady stream of data to compute itself.

Yuuuup. Totally agree. It just recieves alk = x ca = y, mg = z twice per day. There would be no reason to offload *any* computation to the apex itself, and even if there was, the computation for something like a spectrophotometer, or additional pH probe, or stepper motors to disburse acid or whatever are minimal. 

the apex itself doesnt accept webapi input for "probes", only for changing the config or switch outlet status, but apex fusion does accept more stuff.   The main reason i went apex, was the LOCAL control of things.  I do not, and will not ever, rely on remote, cloud based, management of items.  yes, even for my z-wave and stuff, i hacked my wink to use local access if required. (if the hacks hadnt been out in the wild, i would have chosen something other than wink).  Imagine you invest thousands or dollars in a product which depends on a cloud solution, and the company goes bellyup... that investment is now dead.  call me paranoid, but eff that action.

• mFrame changed the title to The Holy Grail at MACNA
  • 7 months later...

Archived