Tank - Sump Build 500 gal +

Dogfish

The mesoflakes and reefflakes are pretty close in size, so it would be pretty uniform if that's what you are looking for.  I went with a 2:1 mixture of reefflakes:miniflakes over the entire tank and really like it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jolt said:

The mesoflakes and reefflakes are pretty close in size, so it would be pretty uniform if that's what you are looking for.  I went with a 2:1 mixture of reefflakes:miniflakes over the entire tank and really like it.

Ok that what i did. Mini and regular. Half and Half. 7 bags each. My UPS guy is gonna kill me.

• Like 1

Went up and got the last bit of acrylic to finish the build. Stopped by and saw Jake at River City. Good guy. Got a few staples but nothing living. He will order me some fish in a few weeks. Got home and was putting the buckets together for the rotifers. Fed Ex  rang the bell and 2 boxes of "This End Up" "Perishable" . Wooo Hooo  Got the roti's and pods. I also got 1 of the fancy kits for growing roti. Gonna try it out. See if that works better than just an air stone and bucket. Here is the Roti set up. The pods will just go in the 55 observation tank. Anyone have a source for clean cheeto's? oops I mean chaeto. Also cleaned up the brine shrimp hatch cone. Need to get some eggs soon.

S_Pods_roti1.jpg

S_Pods_roti2.jpg

Went up and got the last bit of acrylic to finish the build. Stopped by and saw Jake at River City. Good guy. Got a few staples but nothing living. He will order me some fish in a few weeks. Got home and was putting the buckets together for the rotifers. Fed Ex  rang the bell and 2 boxes of "This End Up" "Perishable" . Wooo Hooo  Got the roti's and pods. I also got 1 of the fancy kits for growing roti. Gonna try it out. See if that works better than just an air stone and bucket. Here is the Roti set up. The pods will just go in the 55 observation tank. Anyone have a source for clean cheeto's? oops I mean chaeto. Also cleaned up the brine shrimp hatch cone. Need to get some eggs soon.
S_Pods_roti1.jpg.83687d46038860c1b94ee21e1a2a1c5b.jpg
S_Pods_roti2.jpg.b22c03879d6c172c3dd6063dd02554ff.jpg

Looking good. I’m ready to harvest my cheato. I normally end up with a 12x12x2” mat of it. You are welcome to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, olaggie01 said:

Looking good. I’m ready to harvest my cheato. I normally end up with a 12x12x2” mat of it. You are welcome to it.

I do need some. What sort of critters do you have, or have had in the past? Im trying to avoid what I consider pests, aiptasia, bristle worms, flat worms, pyramid snails, and the larger brittle stars, ect...

Also any disease things you treated for in the past few months?

No diseases. I do have aiptasia but I’ve never seen any in the cheato. There are red flatworms as well. You could always take a small amount and rinse it well in fresh water. There are good pods in the cheato though

54 minutes ago, jolt said:

I think it looks great.  But I feel like the pictures don't really give a sense of how large that tank is.  Can we get a coke can for reference :P

Thanks .I will place something for reference, come day light, when I add another 50 gallons of water. Note in a rum bottle perhaps.  My fingers are raw. I can hardly move my hands. Lifting and maneuvering 30lb pieces of coral rock thru 16" openings in the top was not such a good idea. The stuff is sharp. Acrylic is soft. No room for error, like letting a piece fall when my arms say they can hold it no longer. Next time bigger holes in top so I can climb in.

12 hours ago, Vernon Saunders said:

The biggest amount I could make at once is 55 gal due to container size.... However I don't have the amount of salt needed to make that much on hand... but I could bring Freshwater if you got salt.

No worries  Just getting antsy  My R2 unit is making about 100 gallons a day so it will just take time.

Water has reached the sump. Spent most of the day fixing leaks. Knowing my luck, I should have siliconed all the bulkhead gaskets. Tomorrow I should have enough water to turn on the pumps. The cheap power head is pointed at the surface to break up the scum. I don't like the sea swirl black pipes in the tank. I will have to shorten the pipes and make some clear 45's. I think that will help. Orange in left corner is magnet cleaner with cloth covering it.

R_water1.jpg

R_water2.jpg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

Wooo! Looking real good. Is there salt in there, or is it just fresh RO/DI water?

Thanks,  It is salt water. It started out fresh for 1 day. I have been mixing it heavy before adding. Should be up to 1.025 now Will have to check in the AM before mixing my next batch.