Tank - Sump Build 500 gal +

Dogfish

Drove down to the truck terminal and got my pallet of Marco Rock. Looks good. Large pieces about 16" to 18" long. Really no rubble but what came off while it was in transit. A bit heavier than Pukani but not by much. Tons of holes. Will be great for aquascaping.

O_Marco_rock1.jpg

O_Marco_rock2.jpg

• Like 3

Me too. This is killing me,  having to wait and wait and wait. Now the bloody rock has to cure. I will have the tank inside next year for sure. Got the heaters cranked out in the garage. The overflow box welded to the tank should be cured soon. Going to set up my QT tanks out in the garage. Once that rock is in I'm going to be more than ready to have something that moves in that tank. Might go out and pressure wash the rock even if it is freezing.

Power washed some rock. Its cold outside when wet. Put 1 piece in a bucket of RODI water. Tested after 4 hours. No phosphate yet.  Anyone know who would stock Dr Tims or some other bacteria in S. Austin. Petco?  Since its live i'm sure a freeze in transit would not do it good.

I need some feedback ideas for rock work. I took it out of the barrels to pressure wash and decided to stack a few pieces up. Sort of how I want it to look. Here are 3 views.  The tall section is going near the back corner. 3 power heads will move water thru openings in the rock work. Any suggestions? 

O_Marco_rock5.jpg

O_Marco_rock6.jpg

O_Marco_rock7.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dogfish said:

I need some feedback ideas for rock work. I took it out of the barrels to pressure wash and decided to stack a few pieces up. Sort of how I want it to look. Here are 3 views.  The tall section is going near the back corner. 3 power heads will move water thru openings in the rock work. Any suggestions? 

O_Marco_rock5.jpg

O_Marco_rock6.jpg

O_Marco_rock7.jpg

Looks nice. If you have a drill and time, Id recommend drilling a few holes and using some pvc/rods/tons of superglue to connect some of the stacked pieces. It can save you a big avalanche headache down the line.

Rock:     I will build some stuff out of pvc to hold the rock off the bottom of the tank, and drill some holes for pvc pipe to hold pieces together. I will also hollow out the back and bottom of some  the rock to make it lighter. (my back is killing me, or I'm killing it). I want to make some straight holes thru some of the rock for looks.(tube worm like).

Tank:     With the help of a few buddies and a few breakfast taco's we got the thing in the wall. Hard to see the tank without something covering the back sides. That the wife's project. Will have to get the MP60's in place first so she knows where to cut the holes. I need to work on the trim border while the rock is soaking. I will make sure it covers the sand depth.  I never thought the green and brown sand was attractive against the glass. I plan on making it re-moveable for cleaning with a magnet.

P_Tank_in2.jpg

P_Tank_in1.jpg

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, BobcatReefer said:

Also, my suggestion on the scape would be to go higher on at least one of the front 2 islands, and/or add some bridges and overhangs.  

That's a great suggestion......... I re-worked the scape a bit. Added height to both front pieces. Too dark outside to really get the feel of it.

Looking good!  (post the pictures from your Kessil thread, it's easier to see how it will look.)  +1 on more arches/bridges and I would have one tower, either one of the islands or the main structure go all the way to the surface.   It looks great just the way you have it but fish feel more secure having places with overhead protection so the more I can work in without getting to "busy" I'll do.  They still have the fear of predators attacking from the top and when spooke I see a lot of fish scoot under overhangs but they are still curious and will start looking around so they're not out of sight or fighting for a few hiding spots.  Looking at my tanks with a tower going all the way to the surface seems to accentuate how tall a tank is better than a rock wall, kinda the same way a channel going all the way to the back accentuates the depth/width of a tank.

I spent today drilling holes for the pvc supports connecting any unstable rock. That 1/2 inch drill didn't break my wrist this time. Most of those 30lb pieces are not going anywhere even when underwater. Got all the jigsaw pieces in the tubs. Will start soaking them tomorrow. I had one problem. The overhang supported by the pvc in the picture (white arrow) is not very secure after removing the support. With a piece of pvc between the rocks its still sketchy. I had to put another rock bridge on top of it (other white arrow)to be sure it wont fall. How good is that reef putty stuff? Will it cement both pieces together if i put a big glob between them or does it have to be spread by hand? I also moved the 2 pieces apart (pink arrow) and made a longer bridge between them.

Overhang_Issue.jpg

If you need the bond to help hold/suspend that overhang, it needs to be superglue, not epoxy.  If the need is just to stabilize, epoxy will be fine.  As far as a glob vs hand spreading, a bit of both.  Squish up a bigger ball than you think is appropriate and put it where you think the contact point is, place the top rock on and then spread as desired.

Diggin' the scape v.2!

58 minutes ago, BobcatReefer said:

If you need the bond to help hold/suspend that overhang, it needs to be superglue, not epoxy.  If the need is just to stabilize, epoxy will be fine.  As far as a glob vs hand spreading, a bit of both.  Squish up a bigger ball than you think is appropriate and put it where you think the contact point is, place the top rock on and then spread as desired.

Diggin' the scape v.2!

The rock ledge is fairly stable. The contact area between the 2 pieces is about 8 x 6. I need some piece of mind. The rock going to be cycled before going in the tank. Its big and heavy and I can only fit 1 piece at a time thru the top holes. So what would you recommend to use on wet rock?  How long to let it dry before adding water? Hours maybe?

Thanks in advance

Either should work on wet rock.  Both work/cure underwater, so you shouldn't have to wait at all.  The big difference is the final bond - if you use epoxy you'll be able to tear it apart later, but superglue is about as permanent as it gets.  

You don't really have a 6x8 contact point, you have multiple contact points w/i that 6x8 area.  Find the actual 3 or 4 spots where the rock is going to meet and put the balls of epoxy there, then just do your best to get it on target and smoothed in and out of sight.  I'll say again to use more than you think you should - it just doesn't go very far, and so much gets smooshed back into the rock.  You can always scrape off excess.

Next issue... I did not think this one out to the end. So I need to fill my tank with salt water. At least 300 gallons for starters. I am cycling the rock now. I cant use the 2ea 100 gallon tubs I borrowed to mix and store the water because my rock is in them. How do I do this?  Besides buying a bunch of 55 gallon trash cans to mix and store it, are there other solutions? I was thinking of putting maybe 200 gallons of RO/DI water in the tank and then mixing the salt in the tank. Will I end up with a bunch of undissolved solids that are bad in the tank?  I could then add the rock work. Maybe baste the rock to keep it wet while the rest is being made. Then add the sand thru a piece of pvc pipe. Any flaws in my old used brain's logic?

While the rock is out of the water and not cured, I’d drill a bunch of holes in it for frag plugs for corals. A lot easier to move corals around to different rocks, light, flow if you have spots already pre-drilled.

But looking awesome none the less. That overflow is huge. Bigger than some peoples displays :)

The rock has been soaking for a little over a week now.  No PO4 , that I like. The cycle has started. I used bacteria, a jumbo raw shrimp and some ammonia. Starting to show some nitrate and nitrite. Here is a picture of when i was starting it off.

O_Marco_rock8.jpg

• Like 3