Tank - Sump Build 500 gal +

Dogfish

13 hours ago, Dogfish said:

Playing with gopro trying to figure out stuff . 2 pic FTS fisheye problem

Tank1-2019-4.jpg

Tank1-2019-7.jpg

Odd that you are dealing with red cyano on the sand on one side and green on the other.  Why do you think that is?  (No judging here, by the way.  I'm dealing with green outbreaks myself from my PO4 shooting up with extra feeding for the anthias)

49 minutes ago, Sierra Bravo said:

Odd that you are dealing with red cyano on the sand on one side and green on the other.  Why do you think that is?  (No judging here, by the way.  I'm dealing with green outbreaks myself from my PO4 shooting up with extra feeding for the anthias)

Dealing with it ???? Funny.

I just see it as normal. I have been lazy and it needs a vac job. I went into this knowing  I am not the spotless tank person like those stick guys. (you all now who you are). One polyp does not open and they know it. Algae and stuff does not bother me. If it was a bit smaller it might be a little cleaner. Maybe time for a few more snails to replace the pods my wrasses keep eating.

I dont think the green is cyano. Green side gets blasted with flow and that green stuff likes it. Some sort of film algae. It is on the back walls and my lawnmower eats it everyday.

The other side has a flow problem another mp60 would fix. In about a year I will be on the dole.  Uncle Sam will be paying me, maybe I can get one. I have cut my Po4 in half and the red is not spreading any more. I think 2 vac jobs and it should be almost gone. It was almost gone until I messed with increasing my nitrates and phosphates. It has taken a about 2 months to calm back down.

Or maybe its stuck in Christmas mode

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have conchs and sand sifting stars that keep my sand turned over and pretty clean. I have a lot of dead spots bc of those ginormous rocks I got from you, so I had to get something to help with the corners. The conchs help a lot! I didn’t see a nem. Haven’t decided on one yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Algae update; It has remained constant. I have not bothered it by vac or blowing it off. Today on the red side I added another MP60 for flow down that side of the tank. Lets see if that makes a difference. If this does not work I will get the conchs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

Is that a torch or a nem behind it?

Its a torch. Its pretty big now. Still only has 2 heads. Went from marble size to almost hardball size in 2 months. I got it to see if they would do ok before I got a fancy colored one. I dont have a nem yet. Maybe someday Ill get lucky.

Its a torch. Its pretty big now. Still only has 2 heads. Went from marble size to almost hardball size in 2 months. I got it to see if they would do ok before I got a fancy colored one. I dont have a nem yet. Maybe someday Ill get lucky.

I’ve been looking for magnificas, I was even looking for some in LA this week and could only find a boring one at a LFS. Definitely been a shortage lately...
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Update

Besides the 2 great leathers i got from bobcat. (they are not happy with cut feet) I did get a Nem today. 6 hours out of the box in QT and it is inflated now and standing tall. The mouth is open a bit. Not sure on a scale of 1 to 10 how far open it is.

IMG_1676.JPG

IMG_1677.JPG

• Like 2

I got some of the green leather from bobcat also. [emoji175]. I’m no expert, but the nem looks fine. Sometimes they will open and expel all the old to bring in the new. Will completely deflate before they puff back up. Hell, you probable know that. Lol. What kind of nem is it?

Its a

1 hour ago, Christyef said:

I got some of the green leather from bobcat also. emoji175.png. I’m no expert, but the nem looks fine. Sometimes they will open and expel all the old to bring in the new. Will completely deflate before they puff back up. Hell, you probable know that. Lol. What kind of nem is it?

Its a heteractis magnifica (ritteri) Looking pretty good after 48 hours. Didnt like being out of the water for the min or 2 it took to do a water change (its on meds) . But inflated right back. Its on the move now. It is half on the bowl and half on the tank bottom. I think it like being sideways because to the way the water flows over it.

Trying to get those leathers to attach to rocks is not easy. I have them tied down with string. Both are still not happy. I cant do too much flow because they are not attached.

• 2 weeks later...

Anemone is now in the tank. Short video of its first day. 1 cycle of the sea swirl blowing over the top of it. If it does not move by tomorrow I will take it off the glass bowl and leave it there on the rock.

• Like 4

Anemone is now in the tank. Short video of its first day. 1 cycle of the sea swirl blowing over the top of it. If it does not move by tomorrow I will take it off the glass bowl and leave it there on the rock.

I have a feeling the mag will want to move somewhere with more flow over time. It’ll also probably climb up the rock work when it starts looking for more flow.

On 4/15/2019 at 9:35 PM, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

I have a feeling the mag will want to move somewhere with more flow over time. It’ll also probably climb up the rock work when it starts looking for more flow.

So the mag moved last night. Went the wrong way. Was a bit higher but away from the flow. So today with the light on it went the other way.  It is now on the rock about even with where it was on the glass bowl. Hoping tomorrow it climbs a bit higher. Closer to the light and more flow. In plain sight from both sides of the tank.

• Like 2

Trying to get those leathers to attach to rocks is not easy. I have them tied down with string. Both are still not happy. I cant do too much flow because they are not attached.

Lol. Yeah, I just rubberbanded it to a rock and tossed it in the sump. I will eventually attach. And possibly become 2! [emoji1]

51 minutes ago, Christyef said:

Lol. Yeah, I just rubberbanded it to a rock and tossed it in the sump. I will eventually attach. And possibly become 2! emoji1.png

Yep

They are laying on the bottom between some smaller rocks in the back . No flow. I tried tying them down. They just shrink up and the string comes loose. I dont really want to sew them on.

Maybe some day i can turn that back lower mp60 back on

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2019 at 9:42 AM, Christyef said:

How’s the leather looking? Open yet?

It is open somewhat . Needs to get used to flow and light.

As you can see I need to clean the sides.

New_Softy-Green.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...