Tank - Sump Build 500 gal +

Dogfish

• 1 month later...

Tank update. Grass is now being mowed every evening now. If he misses some the urchin can see in the dark so not a problem. I do have some red slime with bubbles growing on top of some rocks that are near the surface and very well lit. I wish it was coraline instead.  I turned on the uv. Will do 12 hours on 12 off. Blowing it off while the uv is on. After 1 day seems to be less. The calcium reactor is full of media. Waiting for the neo mag stuff to come tomorrow. Got the C02 tank filled. My low pressure gauge is not working. Waiting for a new set to come. I also ordered some mag and cal additives to bring my levels up to snuff. Baked baking soda water got my alk up to a target level. A 10% water change a week is not keeping up with demand.

C02 tank is up and running. A gorilla must have put those fitting on the old gauges. Running 1 bubble a second with a fast steady drip. I have 1 question. My solenoid seems to be really hot. Not burn to the touch but very hot. Is this normal?  That Zeomag sure raises the ph.

Cyanobacteria and bryopsis.  I want to get rid of the cyano and "not" the bryopsis. The lawn mower keeps the bryopsis in check and I dont want him to starve. I have started to vac and blow off the cyano. Reduced my lighting intensity.  It grows best in good light. The po4 is dropping, went from .06 to .04 in a month. Nitrate is a constant "1".  Mag has risen to 1500 with the addition of zeo-mag in the reactor. I have a basket in my overflow with red and green algae and a grow light on this. Any suggestions?

Cyanobacteria and bryopsis.  I want to get rid of the cyano and "not" the bryopsis. The lawn mower keeps the bryopsis in check and I dont want him to starve. I have started to vac and blow off the cyano. Reduced my lighting intensity.  It grows best in good light. The po4 is dropping, went from .06 to .04 in a month. Nitrate is a constant "1".  Mag has risen to 1500 with the addition of zeo-mag in the reactor. I have a basket in my overflow with red and green algae and a grow light on this. Any suggestions?
Im still going through a green film algae phase, it started a month ago when it replaced my cyano.

All I can offer is "wait" and itll go away eventually. But since I was impatient also, continue blowing off your rocks and letting your filter socks catch it daily. I replaced my socks sometimes after 48 hrs.

• 4 weeks later...

Update with some pictures. Not good ones but then how good can a iphone 5 be. The reactor is now set at 7.2 and I have achieved a some what steady cal (425 to 450)  alk (9.3) . Still got the cyano but it does not bug me much anymore. Just another task to do. I think its slowly going away. One thing that has me baffled is the low nitrate and phos. No pink in the test for nitrate. Phos .05. I am feeding more but that just makes the phos go up a little. 14 smaller fish plus the clowns, sand sifter  and lawnmower, I do have some green spots appearing on the sides of the tank. Coraline maybe. Also a lot of green starting to appear on the rocks. I do have some macro algae growing. But its not really a lot and its not really growing. Wife says all corals are growing. Some really fast.

Clowns.jpg

Green_corals.jpg

Yellow_fish.jpg

• Like 4

Update. Still have cyano. Last week I added some macro algae. 2 sample packs from GCE. Red and Halimeda. The sand sifter keeps uprooting the shaving brushes. One has put on the beginings of a new head. I think its a new head??? The poor plant has been sideways more that upright so the growth is at 90º to the first head. Also a shout out to subsea for turning me on to a few macros he had growing. Where I placed them, they block light on the sand bed so the cyano is not growing as fast. Will order some more. Plus and the green hair stuff is growing. New tanks will do that I hear. Red and green , looks like Xmas. I ordered some snails and some tuxes. Not sure if this is a good move. If they eat too much, then more nutrients for the cyano. More guess work. Been feeding a little heavy. Nitrate test is now light pink where before it was clear, no color at all. PO4 is .14ppm. Not too bad. Will cut back a little on the pellets . Not a big fan of them, they were freebies. Got some sticks to go on the rocks from Mr Jolt. After 2 days they still have color. "Its Alive"..

stick1.jpg

stick2.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Stage coach just arrived from Abilene. Tyree starter sponge rocks. Cryptic so, no light, no pictures, no air. Packaged for the scientist.

sponge1.jpg.ed41df901d4b780af95536e1aa126697.jpg
Oh man, if I'd had known, I would have ordered with you too! Nice pack!

On 6/26/2018 at 5:13 PM, Dogfish said:

Stage coach just arrived from Abilene. Tyree starter sponge rocks. Cryptic so, no light, no pictures, no air. Packaged for the scientist.

sponge1.jpg

Dang. Where'd you get them?

I'm also trying to enhance my biodiversity in my 180g and have to dose to keep n03 detectable. 

We are both going through the uglies for sure

• 6 months later...

The crypic sponges are growing at a snails pace.  The filter socks might taking out a lot of nutrients before they reach the sponges. Last Sunday I took out the filter socks before feeding the corals. We shall see what effect that has. Maybe they are starving. One plus of having those sponge seed rocks is I now has a lot of tube/fan type worms and  some non cryptic sponge growth in the DT.