Paula's 75 Gallon build

Paula

Wow, it's been awhile since I update my tank blog. Things are going well.

I've added new stock slowly. I have a couple of Chalice, a Caulastrea, a Ricordea digitata (thanks to Ty), a Palythoa (thanks to Gig'em), some urchins (thanks to Jen), a RBTA (also thanks to Jen), a Lobophyllia, an Acan, a GSP (thanks to Christyef) and couple of zoas. They are all doing well except the zoas. I'm wondering if my water is just a little too clean. I did start dosing some Iodine today so we'll see if they perk up.

The R. digitata is putting out new growth as is the Caulastrea. I may be close to trying another sps. since the digitata is doing well. I'll probs wait until after the holidays since I'll be out of town hiking in Big Bend.

For fish we have a One Spot Foxface and a pair of ocellaris. They are all happy. Between the Foxface and the urchins, there is very little algae in the DT. The chaeto is doing well along with GHA in the refugium.

All my parameters are good. I'm using Kalkwasser in my ATO, 

Alk 8.2

Ca 430

Mg 1320

Salinity 1.025

PO4 <.03

Here are some pictures. The only thing I'm not too fond of right now is the proliferation of Spirorbid polychaetes growing on the back wall of the tank.

Montipora with urchin.jpg

Lobophyllia sp.jpg

Ricordea digitata.jpg

RBTA.jpg

• 1 month later...

So about time for an update. The big tank crash of 2017 (yeah, it was just a month ago!) was a blessing in disguise. I was able to install the new tank and clean up the plumbing that had been at best jury rigged to accommodate the old used tank. I installed much cleaner overflows increasing light to the back of the tank, clean up the return line plumbing making for a neater appearing tank and making it easier to add screen top to the tank paving the way for adding a wrasse.

My current inventory includes (mostly small or frags)

Cnidarians

Palythoa

Green Star Polyps

Meteor Shower Cyphastrea

Montipora digitata

Lobophyllia

Acan

Caulastrea furcata (Candy Cane)

Unidentified plating montipora

Unidentified Chalice corals (x2)

Pocillipora

Neon green nephthea

Three assorted unidentified mushrooms

RBTA

Fish

One Spot Foxface

Ocellaris (x2)

Urchins

2 Pincushion urchins (wouldn't mind letting these move on to a new home!)

2 Royal urchins

Snails

2 Turbo 

Crabs

about 6 red and blue legged hermits

I have another digitata and a small additional nem awaiting pickup this weekend at the swap.

My parameters are all looking good and stable. My pH fluctuates the most from about 7.92 to 8.1 on a daily basis. I'm currently running my fuge light 24/7 and am thinking of moving it to a reverse cycle. My current other parameters are Ca 445, Mg 1485, Alk 8.8. My phosphates and nitrates I'm a little more uncertain regarding. I'm using an API test for the nitrates and it's showing 0. It may not be accurate at lower levels. The Phosphate test I am using is Salifert and it also reads zero but when I received it the dry component was a bit clumpy as though it was moist and so I'm not 100% confident of its accuracy either.

So other than my pH fluctuating a little more than I'd like and thinking that my nitrates may actually be too low, I'm pretty happy with my parameters. I'm getting a good colony of amphipods and copepods and also a cryptic sponge in the shadows.

I'm considering additional stocking. I know I want a fairy wrasse and also something with a little character on the bottom; a suitable goby perhaps.

I look forward to seeing everyone on Saturday.

-Paula

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well it's been a bazillion years since I updated my build. Things have been well and I've mostly been making some tweaks. I added a GFO reactor and a carbon reactor. I added a wavemaker to increase circulation; bought a backup return pump for safety My corals and fish are all well though the acros are not growing as fast as I'd like. My lighting is currently two Chinese black box LEDs, I just ordered a retro kit from BRS that will add two T5s. I'm hoping that will improve growth. I'm also going to start dosing some Koralle VM to see if that encourages additional growth.

Mostly I'm really happy that all my sps have done as well as they have. I was sure I'd have killed them all by this point!

I'm about to leave town for the next week or so but will try to post some pics soon.

Cheers,

Paula

• Like 1

Well it's been a bazillion years since I updated my build. Things have been well and I've mostly been making some tweaks. I added a GFO reactor and a carbon reactor. I added a wavemaker to increase circulation; bought a backup return pump for safety My corals and fish are all well though the acros are not growing as fast as I'd like. My lighting is currently two Chinese black box LEDs, I just ordered a retro kit from BRS that will add two T5s. I'm hoping that will improve growth. I'm also going to start dosing some Koralle VM to see if that encourages additional growth.
Mostly I'm really happy that all my sps have done as well as they have. I was sure I'd have killed them all by this point!
I'm about to leave town for the next week or so but will try to post some pics soon.
Cheers,
Paula
Best update Paula! In gkad everything is going well. You did miss one important point... Where's the picture? [emoji4]

4 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Best update Paula! In gkad everything is going well. You did miss one important point... Where's the picture? emoji4.png

I'll try to get some tomorrow. I'm leaving town for a week on Friday so, tomorrow is a pretty busy day at work and it's possible I won't get pics until I return..

The only new stuff in the aquarium in a while has been a Rainer's Goby and a Purple Headed Firefish. I also added a couple of Rock anemones. Mostly the tank is being very stable and now that I have improved circulation and especially once I get the new T5s in, I'll maybe start looking at some more expensive corals. You know I was eyeing that beautiful fungia that was in your frag tank at the last meeting. 

• Like 1

I'll try to get some tomorrow. I'm leaving town for a week on Friday so, tomorrow is a pretty busy day at work and it's possible I won't get pics until I return..
The only new stuff in the aquarium in a while has been a Rainer's Goby and a Purple Headed Firefish. I also added a couple of Rock anemones. Mostly the tank is being very stable and now that I have improved circulation and especially once I get the new T5s in, I'll maybe start looking at some more expensive corals. You know I was eyeing that beautiful fungia that was in your frag tank at the last meeting. 
Jimbo already stole that one away from me. I do have his baby brother still though. [emoji6]

8 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

Jimbo already stole that one away from me. I do have his baby brother still though. emoji6.png

Who me????? 😎

Paula, if you want some more rock nems PM me. I've got 9 that I'm needing to rehome. I'll make a real good deal on them! 🙂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jolt said:

As Ty said: we need pix

OK. Here's a question. How do I set this thread so that the pic displayed when someone replies to it is the most recent one and not the first one in the build. Do I have to go back to that original picture and replace it with a more recent one????

1 hour ago, Jimbo662 said:

Who me????? 😎

Paula, if you want some more rock nems PM me. I've got 9 that I'm needing to rehome. I'll make a real good deal on them! 🙂

Defs interested. I'm leaving in the morning and will be gone (and AFK) for about 10 days so won't be able to do anything until then.

1 minute ago, Paula said:

Defs interested. I'm leaving in the morning and will be gone (and AFK) for about 10 days so won't be able to do anything until then.

Ok, let me know when you're back.

OK. Here's a question. How do I set this thread so that the pic displayed when someone replies to it is the most recent one and not the first one in the build. Do I have to go back to that original picture and replace it with a more recent one????
I'm not sure what you mean Paula. People can reply directly in the thread or quote something you said with the reply. If they quote something you said with a picture in it then that picture would show up. Otherwise no picture would show.

Are you using Tapatalk? Are you talking about the picture that it displays with your thread? If so, I usually find it's the last picture that was posted in my thread that is on the front page.

59 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

I'm not sure what you mean Paula. People can reply directly in the thread or quote something you said with the reply. If they quote something you said with a picture in it then that picture would show up. Otherwise no picture would show.

Are you using Tapatalk? Are you talking about the picture that it displays with your thread? If so, I usually find it's the last picture that was posted in my thread that is on the front page.

It depends upon which computer (or my phone) I'm using. On Tapatalk on my phone, it's displaying the first picture on the thread when you reply. So for instance on my phone, even this post from you has attached the first photo in this thread appended to it. That doesn't show up on my work computer (a PC) or my home computer (a Mac).

• Like 1

It depends upon which computer (or my phone) I'm using. On Tapatalk on my phone, it's displaying the first picture on the thread when you reply. So for instance on my phone, even this post from you has attached the first photo in this thread appended to it. That doesn't show up on my work computer (a PC) or my home computer (a Mac).
Can you do a screenshot of what you see?

So I guess it's a Tapatalk thing. I find it annoying. Had I known that particular photo would endure unto the end of time, I would have taken a very different photo. 

• Like 2

So I guess it's a Tapatalk thing. I find it annoying. Had I known that particular photo would endure unto the end of time, I would have taken a very different photo. 
It'll update usually with the latest picture I believe. Even more reason for you to give us an updated picture. [emoji13]

It'll update usually with the latest picture I believe. Even more reason for you to give us an updated picture. [emoji13]
I think it's just whack. If what you're saying is correct then it should have just shown me a pic of the screenshot I sent earlier. Now on your post it's showing a shot from about 4 months ago.

[emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]🤯

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

OK. Here's some photos. I don't seem to be any good at getting the shots without any of the little pods and stuff catching all the highlights (even with the flash off).

My Lobophylia

IMG_20180607_132625.jpg

• Like 1