Paula's 75 Gallon build

Paula

Hi All,

I'm Paula. I've been keeping various FW tanks since I was a kid. Recently I had to move my office and decided it was time to take the long desired plunge and start a reef tank (if I put it in my office it becomes a business expense!) 

My plan is to go slow. I don't want to rush anything. I am currently working on plumbing options. The tank has three holes with 1 inch bulkheads in the back wall, one in the center and one at either end. My plan is to do a Bean Animal overflow with a Calfo overflow box using the three bulkheads. Does anyone here have recommendations  for a local source for the glass for the Calfo? Also, any recommendations about dimensions? I'm thinking two pieces of glass, making an overflow perhaps 4 inches wide and about 5 inches deep. Any thought on what thickness glass to use? What about acrylic? I know it doesn't bond as well to glass but there's an awful lot of it being used out there including things like CPR Overflow boxes. Thoughts?

I built a stand to accommodate a 20 gallon sump which will have a skimmer, a small fuge with some chaeto, and a return chamber. I will also have a 5 gallon ATO reservoir under the stand. I have two Chinese 165w LED banks for lighting. Each has a blue channel and a white channel. I have a used Reef Angel controller which I will be using until such time as I have the spare money to put on an Apex.

I have 100 lbs of dry rock from Reef Cleaners and 80 lbs of Carib Sea aragonite. I'll seed with 5-10 lbs live rock. 

My plan is (once the tank is fully cycled with the live rock) to stock lightly with reef friendly fish with the idea that once the live rock is established, I'll start adding some soft corals and eventually some stony corals.  

So that's my introduction, I'll post pictures soon.

Cheers,

Paula

• 1 month later...

So I decided it was time to move this thread here. I had started it back in August and then dropped it as I was busy actually getting moved into the new office.I realized how much things have changed since I started. I'm just copying this from the welcome forum for continuity

My setup is a 75 gallon DT with a 29 gallon sump. I'm using an Apex Classic to control, a Bean Animal overflow and DIY ATO. Lighting is supplied by two black box Chinese LEDs. I have a 100 lbs of dry rock that I am seeding with about 5 lbs of live rock. The rock has been seeding since mid August.

I finally filled the tank three weeks ago using the water that had been cycled with the rock. My parameters have all been steady after initial cycling with the exception of DkH. I have since started daily dosing off NaHCO3 to bring it up.

On the 26th of September, I added the first inhabitants, two mithrax crabs and three hermits. I also added a fistful of Chaeto to the refugium. On Wednesday, I added 5 additional hermits.

I'm hoping to be able to add my first zoanthid frags next week.

So several updates and continued discussions from other threads... I replaced the single 5000K Cree LED Home Depot bulb in the refugium with 2 100w equivalent 6500K CFLs. The chaeto is starting to really take off and has doubled in size.

The diatom bloom is not getting any worse and seems to be actually subsiding. I'm changing filter socks either every day or every other day depending upon how dirty they're getting. The last couple were really brown from the diatoms.

I seem to be starting to get a good population of copepods. I'll try at some point to get a photo. I have a binocular dissecting microscope that I've had for a few years. It's tricky but I can sometimes manage to get a photo using my phone held to the eye piece.

I'm going to Colorado with my wifey for a long weekend. Spending Friday in Denver and hoping to get to the Aquarium and then up to Estes Park for a couple of days. Once I get back I'll look for a couple of nice zoanthid frags to introduce.

I've also set up my quarantine tank. I'll start thinking about what fish to be the first.

More soon,

Paula

So several updates and continued discussions from other threads... I replaced the single 5000K Cree LED Home Depot bulb in the refugium with 2 100w equivalent 6500K CFLs. The chaeto is starting to really take off and has doubled in size.
The diatom bloom is not getting any worse and seems to be actually subsiding. I'm changing filter socks either every day or every other day depending upon how dirty they're getting. The last couple were really brown from the diatoms.
I seem to be starting to get a good population of copepods. I'll try at some point to get a photo. I have a binocular dissecting microscope that I've had for a few years. It's tricky but I can sometimes manage to get a photo using my phone held to the eye piece.
I'm going to Colorado with my wifey for a long weekend. Spending Friday in Denver and hoping to get to the Aquarium and then up to Estes Park for a couple of days. Once I get back I'll look for a couple of nice zoanthid frags to introduce.
I've also set up my quarantine tank. I'll start thinking about what fish to be the first.
More soon,
Paula
Are you planning on hitting up any local fish stores while there?

47 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:
1 hour ago, Paula said:

Are you planning on hitting up any local fish stores while there?

Do you have any recommendations? I hadn't really planned to as I didn't think I'd be able to buy anything. I'd love to go look though as long as I can talk the spousal unit into tagging along. :D

Do you have any recommendations? I hadn't really planned to as I didn't think I'd be able to buy anything. I'd love to go look though as long as I can talk the spousal unit into tagging along. [emoji3]
One of my joys when I used to travel for work was finding LFS in the area and perusing their stock.

The only one I got a chance to visit was Elite Reefs. They recently moved to a new location, hopefully to expand in size since the old shop was on the small side.

So now I am considering fish. I have several that I'd ultimately like. A one spot foxface would work in this size tank, also a lawnmower blenny, a pair of ocellaris, not sure what else, probably a more peaceful wrasse. My understanding is I should start with least aggressive/territorial and move up. I also want to wait on anything that may need more live rock available. So my thinking right now is to start with one or two colorful, hardy, peaceful fish. I'm thinking of getting two royal gramma to start. Once they're through quarantine, I can think about next inhabitants. Does this seem a reasonable plan? Plus I'll be adding a couple of zoanthid frags next week.
Cheers,
Paula

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hi Paula,

The clownfish would actually be a great first fish. They are super hardy and will add great watchable activity in your tank as you slowly build up your population. The lawnmower Blenny I'm hesitant to ever recommend as they generally die out with the lack of filamentous and film algae in most systems. Unless you're adapts to prepared foods, it will slowly die. The foxface is a great addition. They will the best algae eaters in my opinion and will eat things most tangs would snub. Be wary that they do have poisonous spines so careful with your hand in the tank at times. I've heard its like a bee sting but I haven't found out personally myself yet. They do tend to grow large too and quick so expect a 2" one to be 5-6" in about 1-2 years.

Wrasses are perfect for that size tank and having a couple different types is also very eye catching in a tank. They come in a variety of gorgeous colors too so that's also nice. Just make sure to screen your tank or have a top on them as its not a chance, but a certainty they will one day jump and if you don't have screens or covers, you'll come home to a crispy fish on the ground.

Well rats! I just had a nice long post that got interrupted by an incoming call and when I returned, it had disappeared. I'll be more succinct this time and hopefully get it all in.

I had been concerned the ocellaris was a bit aggressive for initial fish. If not, I'd just as soon get them going in quarantine.

The lawnmower blenny was on my more marginal list. I'd be open to suggestions for something that might fill a similar niche.

Also thinking about adding a tuxedo urchin to my CUC. All in proper time of course.

Defs don't want any crispy fish! I purchased some appropriate netting but am still mulling over designs. Needs to be able to accommodate and hopefully help conceal the PVC return pipes. I also want it to come down close to my Coast to Coast overflow to reduce critters taking the plunge into the sump. I think I just about have it planned. I'll work on that while the first fish are in quarantine.

Any thoughts about LFSs? I don't want to open a can of worms or engage in any disparaging discussion. I just want to know who gets glowing endorsements. I bought my liverock from River City Aquatics (also my chaeto). I've been happy with both. I'd love to support shops that emphasize sustainable practices etc. I also was reading on another forum about people preferring buying coral from shops that don't keep fish in the same tanks as the coral thus supposedly reducing the possibility of some problems such as ich. I don't want to rely on that and feel it's my responsibility what ends up going into my tank. But, just a thought. Austin Aqua Farms seems to be pretty highly thought of by BRS.

Anything else?

Cheers,

Paula

I've had good luck with both RCA and Aquadome as far as LFS go.
Ditto!

And yes, oscellaris can be territorial if it establishes its home before others are added to the tank. Good point. I forget that sometimes because the clowns are the smallest fish in my tank so it doesn't matter that they get territorial because the big fish just don't care.

I'm a huge fan of tuxedo urchins. About 5 patrol my rocks at all times and the only snails I bother with are conchs to clean the sand.

15 hours ago, jolt said:

Yep these are both great choices for LFS. As for Austin Aqua Farms they are great as well, but they are only open on Saturdays for a few hours to browse their selection.  They definitely have a great selection of corals and Matt is a really great guy.  I would highly recommend checking them out as well. 

The tank is looking great Paula! Totally agree with Ty on wrasse being jumpers, gotta have a lid for those guys.  The great thing about them is that there are so many great looking wrasse and they are a great choice for your size tank.  I would definitely recommend checking out some of Hunter Hammonds (Evolved is his screen name on other forums) articles on wrasse, lots of great info. 

I would definitely recommend checking out some of Hunter Hammonds (Evolved is his screen name on other forums) articles on wrasse, lots of great info. 

Thanks Rob! Yeah, I defs need to get the lid ironed down before the wrasses start! It'll be a while as I only have one quarantine tank. It'll be at least 4 weeks between fish additions. I've already started reading Evolved's articles on other forums. I'm a little uncertain whether I'll be in a position to do feedings 3 times a day as he recommends. My tank is in my office and I don't really see myself coming to the office that often on weekends. I have some more education and time before I need to make that decision.

Cheers,

Paula

• Like 1

I'm a huge fan of tuxedo urchins. About 5 patrol my rocks at all times and the only snails I bother with are conchs to clean the sand.

So is an urchin something to look at now or wait until I have a little more background algae?

Again, thanks for all the help and support.

Cheers,

Paula

PS, I'm going to try to get by Elite in Denver. It really depends on what else is happening. This is really just a long weekend trip as a present for Phaedra's birthday. Some of this will really depends on what she wants to do.

Definitely going to the Denver Aquarium though before we head up to Estes Park for the weekend.

3 minutes ago, Paula said:

Thanks Rob! Yeah, I defs need to get the lid ironed down before the wrasses start! It'll be a while as I only have one quarantine tank. It'll be at least 4 weeks between fish additions. I've already started reading Evolved's articles on other forums. I'm a little uncertain whether I'll be in a position to do feedings 3 times a day as he recommends. My tank is in my office and I don't really see myself coming to the office that often on weekends. I have some more education and time before I need to make that decision.

Cheers,

Paula

Feeding that often is something that I think we all have trouble with.  I'm not sure how many times a day others feed their fish, but I have been fine feeding my Wrasses once a day. You could always look into getting a eheim auto feeder for the weekends, they aren't too expensive and they work well with the new life spectrum pellets. 

20 minutes ago, RobR said:

Feeding that often is something that I think we all have trouble with.  I'm not sure how many times a day others feed their fish, but I have been fine feeding my Wrasses once a day. You could always look into getting a eheim auto feeder for the weekends, they aren't too expensive and they work well with the new life spectrum pellets. 

Good to know there are options. I was beginning to feel wrasses might be off the list.

18 hours ago, jolt said:

Thanks! I noticed no one has mentioned Aquatek and that they aren't a sponsor. I've been buying my RO there just because I haven't set up an RO/DI yet. 

Maybe wait another month or so for the urchin.

Aquatek crew is nice and helpful. They aren't the biggest fans of the reef club, probably because it may eat into their business but again, nice store and has a great selection of dry goods.

47 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Maybe wait another month or so for the urchin.

Aquatek crew is nice and helpful. They aren't the biggest fans of the reef club, probably because it may eat into their business but again, nice store and has a great selection of dry goods.

That's about what I was figuring on both counts. I have read that you can feed the urchin nori if there's not enough food endemic to the tank but I'd prefer to work toward a nicely balanced aquarium where that was not necessary.

I'm glad to hear about Aquatek. They had seemed friendly and I was wondering if there was some dark evil lurking under the surface of which I was not aware. What you're saying makes perfect sense.

Leaving for Denver in a couple hours. Ready to get out of Texas pollen. Current pollen count in Estes Park is pretty much pollen free!!!

That's about what I was figuring on both counts. I have read that you can feed the urchin nori if there's not enough food endemic to the tank but I'd prefer to work toward a nicely balanced aquarium where that was not necessary.
I'm glad to hear about Aquatek. They had seemed friendly and I was wondering if there was some dark evil lurking under the surface of which I was not aware. What you're saying makes perfect sense.
Leaving for Denver in a couple hours. Ready to get out of Texas pollen. Current pollen count in Estes Park is pretty much pollen free!!!
So the aquarium is starting to make some actual headway. A huge shout out to Gig'em for donating a great palythoa to help me get started! At the time I left my office this evening (where my tank lives) it was already staring to open back up.

There was also a cute little brittle star hitchhiker. Bonus!

I also purchased two frags to add to the tank; both LPS, a candy cane and a chalice. They are very small and inexpensive. I think my tank and I are ready for them.

Maintenance wise, I switched from dosing NaHCO3 to Kalkwasser.

I'm hoping to add some ocellaris soon. RCA is currently out of stock. They should be getting some in the next week or so.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a little while since I had an update on the tank. There's been some ups and downs.

I had a cheap webcam at work that I wasn't using. I worked on setting it up through my Apex and was never successful in getting it to stream through the feed. I did have it where I could view it through a separate feed on my smartphone.

Unfortunately, somehow, I created a conflict in my router and my Apex disconnected.

The worst part was that somehow in disconnecting, the Apex lost all programming and my heaters, return pump, skimmer etc, all when off line. By the time I got to my office, the tank temp had dropped to about 73 degrees.

No matter what I tried I was unable to reconnect. Ultimately, I had to re-link the Apex. I lost all my old logs etc. I was able to get the heaters and return pumps plugged in directly to start bringing the tank back up to proper temp. My alkalinity was also thrown off by my ATO not working. Luckily, I was able to get everything back on line. I did lose my Royal Urchin. It made me sad and I blame myself. I know they can be a bit sensitive to alkalinity swings and it was still new to the tank. The only other casualty was my Chalice frag is bleached on the edges. The center still looks good so I'm hoping it bounces back.

The conflict in my router was trickier and two hours later, the same thing happened and the Apex disconnected again. Luckily, I was monitoring the system closely and didn't have the whole thing crash. This happened three more times over the course of the weekend. Lots of trips back and forth to work trying to figure out where the conflict was that was disconnecting the Apex.

Ultimately, I totally reset the router and able to establish a stable connection with the Apex not disconnecting every two hours. I also ditched the webcam. I'm not sure what the conflict was that I introduced into the router but am fine not having the webcam up. I may try that again in the future but right now getting and keeping the tank stable is my main concern.

It's great to have a hobby that is relaxing and reduces stress!!!! [emoji41]

• Like 1

Here's an updated pic. The little frags aren't really visible but I now have a candy cane, a chalice (a little nervous about whether it's going to pull through following the tank dramas of the last weekend) three assorted zoa frags including a tiny scrambled eggs) a lovely paly donated by Gig'em, apx 9 assorted blue and red legged hermits, two mithrax crabs (though only one seems to be visible at a time) and two turbo snails. 

Hopefully a couple of ocellaris soon.

Everything seems to be being stable parameter wise. I switched over to Kalk in my ATO. At 1tsp/gallon of ATO my alk and Ca slowly increasing (currently 7.9 and 395)

Looking forward to the club meeting.

Tank.jpg

• Like 2