• Announcements

• JamesL

Can't Create A Post? Please Read.   01/18/2017

Finding that you can't create a post in a specific forum? Please see the membership changes that took effect in early 2012. You must be a Premium Member to post items in certain forums.
BobcatReefer

ALK dump - can't get back down to normal levels

+BobcatReefer    416

In trying to dial in my new doser, I botched the timer adjustment and emptied a pint of Alk solution into my tank the other day.  Tested 300+ (was blinking, so I assume 300 is the Hanna limit) Weds morning, and I've since done 4 water changes - 20g, 20g, 15g, 15g, but I'm still at 175 (90g total volume).  Anything I can do but wait it out?

Isaac    345

water changes until it gets to the lower 20's, then raise calcium and magnesium and let it come down naturally?

+FarmerTy    3,381

That's why units are important.  :D

At 9.7 dKh, I'd turn off the alk doser and let it come back down naturally over a week or two.  If it was like 13 dKh, I'd add muriatic acid to bring it down ASAP but I don't feel like that is needed in your situation.

Isaac    345

doh, assumed dkh (and I have a Hanna too lol)

+BobcatReefer    416

Well, the doser has definitely been off since the dump.  First plug pulled.  

Thanks - I figured I was kind of stuck with the waiting game, since the numbers weren't improving w/ each H2O change.

I feel like I should just buy a dang dKH checker, since that's how everyone seems to reference Alk.

Isaac    345

api's alk test kit is pretty accurate for the price. i have api, red sea and hanna.... i use the api for ease.