The Return 20 gal Peninsula

LarryD

received_10203537596157681.jpeg9

I just do not think it is big enough. Good news is it is really quite and I am not getting the micro bubbles i was getting with the old one. I just need to figure out how to tune a skimmer with both flow and air control.

Got the skimmer up and running it looks like it will be great. It is nice and quite but I still have some microbubbles. Trying to decide on some good trail corals since it has been suggest that I wait on the anemone, so coral first.

I need to extend the intake on the skimmer, it is just below the usual level of the sump and I have lost siphon a couple of times because of a slight change in the water level. At this time it is skimming pretty wet but I will leave that be for a while before I try and tune it for a darker skimmate. 

I am cutting back on the amount I feed because I am starting to get some algae growth, The fish are not pleased with this choice. I am having some trouble getting the new skimmer tuned which is not being helped by the short intake so I for sure need to extend that.

I think it is time for some coral and I have a buddy from college that owns an custom aquarium and maintenance business in east texas that is doing some coral propogation that says he will ship me some tester coral.

I need to get some better nutrient export established because the sump on this im tank takes forever for the level to stabilize and that makes it hard to get the skimmer back up and running.  I also need to find out how to tune the skimmer, any suggestions?

4 hours ago, LarryD said:

I need to get some better nutrient export established because the sump on this im tank takes forever for the level to stabilize and that makes it hard to get the skimmer back up and running.  I also need to find out how to tune the skimmer, any suggestions?

depends on your skimmer and the water level.  got picts of it in action?

14 hours ago, Isaac said:

depends on your skimmer and the water level.  got picts of it in action?

It is a reef octopus classic 90, I moved it to the other side of the tank yesterday so that i could remove the variable of the water level in the return chamber from the picture and it seems much more stable there. I do not have any pictures of it in that location but there is a picture of the skimmer a couple of posts back. In the new location it appeared to be skimming, it was not a constant rate but it would build up a bit then bubble up the neck and into the cup then back down the bubble level goes to just at the start of the neck and a while later it would biuld up and go. This skimmer is overkill for my tank, I have to fish in 20 gallons of tank.

the more you lift it out of the water, the more precise you can get it in conjunction w/ the airflow you allow sucked in.  normally, you want the water/tinybubble level to be equal to the start of the curve.  for a wetter skim, you adjust up the curve.  the goal is to have the tiny bubble combine into larger bubbles around the base of the neck (the removable/cleanable part) and have them pop about 1/4 to 3/4 up the neck.  this allows for some variance of 1/4 up or down.

I am having trouble getting the skimmer to skim dry, it either skims wet or so dry the foam does not make it out of the neck.

I have a nice florida ric, and a couple of polyps of Red Hallucination zoas getting delivered on friday as some tester corals. I am getting them shipped to me by a college buddy who runs a aquarium maintenance and coral propogation business up in east texas. You can see some of his corals at https://www.trueaquatics.net

ah, even better (i have external).  can you lower the return (drain) line a little bit?  on external skimmers, the lowest part of the return line is your base level.  so if it comes out of your skimmer and goes up a little bit, try lower that.  if it comes out of the skimmer and goes down.. you need to limit the pumps input feeding the skimmer.    with the air stopped... what is the water level at? (before you start moving stuff)

21 hours ago, Isaac said:

ah, even better (i have external).  can you lower the return (drain) line a little bit?  on external skimmers, the lowest part of the return line is your base level.  so if it comes out of your skimmer and goes up a little bit, try lower that.  if it comes out of the skimmer and goes down.. you need to limit the pumps input feeding the skimmer.    with the air stopped... what is the water level at? (before you start moving stuff)

I do not think it works but the return line is fixed and flows into a bubble trap, so I could move the bubble trap some but it would not really move the return down.  Are you asking for air stopped full open water level?

so if you have an external skimmer, more than likely its a recirculating one correct?  whats the water level when the supply pump is on, byt the recirc (thus air) pump is off?

11 hours ago, Isaac said:

so if you have an external skimmer, more than likely its a recirculating one correct?  whats the water level when the supply pump is on, byt the recirc (thus air) pump is off?

Nope mine is a Reef Octopus classic 90 HOB not a recirculating skimmer.

10 hours ago, Isaac said:

hmmm, only thing you can really do w/ HOB's are adjust the air input.  is there a valve on your air line?

Yep I have a valve on the air and outlet. Moving the bubble trap down actually did quite a bit.

Archived