Raising Alkalinity

Wade

I'm getting ready to set up 2-part dosing on my new frag tank set up (12 gallons).  The alkalinity is very low (4.8) so I'll need to raise it up to where i want it before i start regular dosing.  How much can i safely raise the alkalinity and calcium at one time and can I do that several times through out the day?

I've always looked at the BRS guidelines for 2 part and gone with half that (i.e. 0.7 dKH/day max).  But then I'm conservative that way ...

"Do not increase alkalinity levels more than 0.5meq/lt or 1.4 dKH per day. If necessary spread the suggested dose out and test between doses"

19 hours ago, jolt said:

I've always looked at the BRS guidelines for 2 part and gone with half that (i.e. 0.7 dKH/day max).  But then I'm conservative that way ...

"Do not increase alkalinity levels more than 0.5meq/lt or 1.4 dKH per day. If necessary spread the suggested dose out and test between doses"

I'll do 1 dKh/day for alk and 100 ppm/day for Ca usually for corrections if needed with no issues.

Are your corals happy?  If so I wouldn't try raising alkalinity or calcium fast.  This should not be misconstrued as advocating low alkalinity but biological processes in your tank are playing with alkalinity so even though your tests may show it's low your corals may be getting enough to be healthy and grow.  If you are tracking it closely you should also not be surprised if the numbers do not track what a dosing guideline dictates.

• 2 weeks later...

got a little STN going on, but otherwise they look like they're just getting used to the new light.  I've got the alk up to about 7.5 or so.  I'm just going to watch it for a while and try to figure out this new AI Prime HD I bought for it.  Just not sure what the right spectrum settings should be, especially since you can adjust each color independently.  Trying to research it but there seems not to be a "norm" and I can't find anyone who's got it over a frag tank.  I've got it on the goose neck stretched as high as it will go so it's about 16" above the water.  Here's my current settings.  Maybe I need to turn down a bit more. 

image1.PNG

I have the original AI prime, the app gives you a reasonable approximation of spectrum but the only way to really determine what power you need is to use a par meter but to give you an idea i have mine set at 35 uv, 90 violet, 90 deep blue, 45 blue, 10 green, 0 red, and 60 cool white. That gives me about 260 par directly below the light on my 20 gal pennisula, down to about 80 at the far end. I am probably going to drop that power down some since I am not planning to run sps really so I do not need that high of par.

Thanks Larry.  Is there a reasonably accurate par meter that works with LEDs that's also reasonably priced?  I know there's always discussion about that and the accuracy when used to read the par of LEDs.  I'm guessing there's been some advances with the meters over the past few years considering hoe prevalent LEDs are in the market.

On 8/2/2017 at 8:20 PM, Wade said:

Thanks Larry.  Is there a reasonably accurate par meter that works with LEDs that's also reasonably priced?  I know there's always discussion about that and the accuracy when used to read the par of LEDs.  I'm guessing there's been some advances with the meters over the past few years considering hoe prevalent LEDs are in the market.

I actually picked up a seneye just because it was one of the cheapest ways to get a decent par meter plus it has all the other sensors. Which reminds me I need to soak the new slide.

Well the frag tank started to turn cloudy over the past few days and since yesterday several of the Stylo's that were doing the best RTN'd out to pure white.  Not sure what happened.  I checked Nitrate and Ammonia and both are reading zero.  I did a 20% water change and will do one a day until I can get the water cleared up.  I ordered some carbon from BRS but it probably won't be here until mid week.  I replaced the Penguin filter and added a piece of felt I cut from a filter sick behind the filter to try and catch some of the smaller particulates until the carbon gets here.  I've not checked the phosphate yet so that may be elevated.  I guess I'll need to pull the dead frags out although I don't guess they're going to cause any more trouble now. 

• 2 weeks later...

The carbon and skimmer has cleared the water and it's looking good again.  Can't say the same for the frags.  Still holding out hope they'll bounce back.  I've not got this white slimy tendrils floating around the tank and on the return spout.  See attached video.  Thoughts?

File Aug 16, 6 10 29 PM.mov

Archived