Rainbow acan echinata large piece

phamily

On 7/6/2017 at 11:11 PM, phamily said:

This piece is about 5" with multi colors $100. Will hold with paypal0abcb871706c9e130591e2e8cda5fb90.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This does not look multi color.  It has a virus, infection.

54 minutes ago, BMJ said:

This does not look multi color.  It has a virus, infection.

Curious where you see an infection? I've had the same echinata for a few years and it looks identical to Pham's larger colony, this species has orange, purple, teal and spots of bright green. I'm no echinata disease expert, but I've seen this colony and it looks extremely healthy.  

I'm curious also to see specifics on identifying this coloration pattern/combination as a viral infection.  I know fluorescing and chromo proteins along with melanin are important components of a corals immune system and there can be localized coloration or even colony wide changes without changes in lighting or water parameters.  We still don't know much about how corals react to viruses.  (The Tulip Breaking Virus though is a fascinating  botanical example a virus causing permanent changes in color.  Due to it's contagiousness it's illegal to own and propagate although the Dutch maintain some demonstration examples.) 

Some coral species/genotypes have the DNA to code for a lot more colors than are expressed at any one time so having a colony with multiple colors certainly doesn't have to be caused by a pathogen/injury/parasite.  Maintaining the right environment so a particular colony that is able to make a range of fluorescing and chromo proteins keeps a prefered combination of colors can be a bit of a challenge.

Sorry i dont have any frags, it looks so cool as a big piece. I'm not sure if it get the mutlicolor beacuse of a virus or an infection. I'm just a hobbyist and thought it looked plum and kool[emoji16][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have seen many multicolor echinatas. The nice expensive ones have this type of coloration. Definitely not infection. Looks like a very healthy piece to me. The green coloration around the edge is really cool.

Archived