Vacation Evaporation

MrZ2u

I am leaving town Sunday and wont be back till Saturday.  My wife will be back Thursday evening though but she knows nothing about this tanks operation beyond feeding the fish.

I have an ATO but I dont think I trust it over that long a period.  I may be just paranoid because it screwed me not long ago but I think that was mostly my fault for bumping the float switch.  Still, if it decided to it could dump three gallons in a 19 gallon (25 but it only has 19 after rock and sand) and probably two gallons or so would end up on my floors upstairs.  

If I leave it off though, I would lose about 1 gallon give or take to evap over the week.  I could cover it during this time to stave off some of that?
If I leave it off and have my wife turn it back on Thursday evening would it swing the salinity badly?
Should I leave the lights off to reduce evap?  I dont think they contribute to it all that much.
Should I just chance it all and have faith in a switch thats probably fine and maybe just leave 1.5 gallons in the jug to split the difference ?  Actually just writing all this out made me think of that limited reservoir and I dunno...that seems solid!

Thoughts?

yeah, that seems reasonable too...I might try to see if I can teach her to use the refractometer.  Her and my two youngest are going to the beach while me and the oldest go out for summer camp in the Olympic NF...its my oldest that knows how to monitor the parameters and such.  Probably good to have her up to speed a little. 

I wouldn't bother with the refractometer.  Put a piece of painters tape at the water line when the tank is topped off.  When she gets back, have her add RO from a jug until the water line rises to the tape line.  Even the kids could do it. Done.

Also, make sure you keep your A/C running at normal levels when you're gone, if you increase the temp since you won't be home you could increase evap.

Archived