Momma Clownfish problems

tennisjad3

Hi All,

In my 29 gallon tank I have a true clown, one lone pajama cardinal and a coral banded shrimp. I decided today to go buy my clownfish a husband and wanted to see if this pairing behavior is normal. I bought a slightly smaller true clown and dropped him in.

The old clown (she's been alone about 1-2 years in the tank) is making the new clowns life miserable. She's chasing him nonstop, batting her tail at him and swimming sideways next to him. The part I haven't seen before is my old clown is physically latching onto the new clown and tossing him around like a rag doll. I've never seen 2 clowns actually chomp into each other before, so wanted to see if this is a normal part of pairing or if the new guys getting a ride back to the AquaDome.

Also my coral banded shrimp was having a field day chasing him around too, but I think that's it just being territorial, not actually trying to catch and kill the new clown.

Please let me know if the biting is normal or not?

Not normal in pairing, She is guarding her territory.  I'd take her out of the tank and put her in a holding tank for a few days.  Let the new guy recover, and maybe reset the females territorial feelings.

When I added a small clown into an existing bonded pair the female was relentless, and that was in a 185g with plenty of swim & hide space.  In a 29g there is not much room.  I took my female out, put her in my sump for a week.  When I put her back in the display she took the lead role back but no longer tormented the new guy.  Now the three are fine together even sharing multiple nems.

In normal bonding you will see the smaller (male) clown shake & shimmer at the female, showing his submission to her.  Actually, I've seen smaller males also do that to larger males to show submission.

28 minutes ago, SChrisEV said:

Not normal in pairing, She is guarding her territory.  I'd take her out of the tank and put her in a holding tank for a few days.  Let the new guy recover, and maybe reset the females territorial feelings.

When I added a small clown into an existing bonded pair the female was relentless, and that was in a 185g with plenty of swim & hide space.  In a 29g there is not much room.  I took my female out, put her in my sump for a week.  When I put her back in the display she took the lead role back but no longer tormented the new guy.  Now the three are fine together even sharing multiple nems.

In normal bonding you will see the smaller (male) clown shake & shimmer at the female, showing his submission to her.  Actually, I've seen smaller males also do that to larger males to show submission.

I only have one tank sadly, any advice on a makeshift way to reset the territorial feelings? The biting has stopped the last 2 hours and she seems to be giving the new guy some more space now. They are on opposite sides of the tank now though, so I don't believe that to be too mate-like

If the new guy can rest, and heal maybe it will work out.  The bonding process will take time even if she was not being so territorial.  So I would not be too concerned on opposite sides of the tank, but I would also be surprised if the tormenting is over, but you never know.

14 minutes ago, SChrisEV said:

If the new guy can rest, and heal maybe it will work out.  The bonding process will take time even if she was not being so territorial.  So I would not be too concerned on opposite sides of the tank, but I would also be surprised if the tormenting is over, but you never know.

It seems to have shifted to her just poking on over and reminding him that she's the head honcho/watching him rather than the chasing/biting now. I'll just ride this out if it continues to be non-violent I guess.

Fish are weird.

Update for anyone who can help: had to isolate the old clown in a tupperware and she's floating around the tank in that now. I'm hoping this will reduce her aggression by resetting her territory, but my one concern is she can see the space still. Do I need to move her out of a clear container or would her being isolated still work?

rather than tupperware, perhaps a colander.  You've hit on the key, which is to keep them where they can see each other but separated until they learn to accept each other.

8 hours ago, mFrame said:

rather than tupperware, perhaps a colander.  You've hit on the key, which is to keep them where they can see each other but separated until they learn to accept each other.

Hmm, even if she can still see her territory? I can flip the tupperware over so it's clear side down. The new one swims up to sides and the old one doesn't try to attack her through the clear plastic.

4 hours ago, Robb in Austin said:

Whats the size difference? If they are too similarily sized, she may never accept him.

Good luck.

It's noticeable, the new one is a really small baby (I assume) and about 60-70% of the old one's size. Not gaping, but maybe like 1 inch compared to 1.5 inches?

Yes, the main issue is to protect the new fish so they get used to seeing each other.  Once they start paying attention to each other, hanging out, etc. without seeming to attack the container you can try letting them be together again.

Archived