Brian.Srock's 215 Gallon SPS Build

brian.srock

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hoping to make it epic. Got the green light to use our media wall. We took a trip to the room store over the weekend and my part of the tank size compromise was that we downsized our current couch sectional for a couch and 2 recliners. I see that as a definite upgrade but I had to hold my glee while I made it sound like it was my wife's decision. 

The tv will be relocated in front of our backyard windows onto an entertainment shelf and the wall will be repainted to a light blue to match the rest of the house.

20170710_104443.jpg

• Like 2

All the new stuff and tank builds are the best part of the hobby. Thanks for following along. 

Opened up my rock box. Some nice rocks both pukani and reef saver but looks like I'll need some more pieces if I want to try the vision I had in mind.

20170711_103438.jpg

I agree the pukani is great for frag plugs. I also use a power drill, chisel, and hammer to make lots of caves. the fish love it.

Just be sure to clean or cook the rock, it always has a lot of gunk inside those holes.

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Can I get a finger check?  You still have 10? :lol:

Looks good bud! 

My first thought when the video started playing was "do I want to watch this?????"

That's going to be a very cool stand.

• Like 1

Wow no faith. I even built a guard which I had my hand on. It was so much sawdust though! 
I'm hoping to have the stand in the house by the end of the week but it'll still be missing the concrete counter top which I'll be building for it. 
Next I have to router the hinges, finish up the stain on the side doors, install the automatic led lighting, and drill for the cabinet handles. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Build is slowly chugging along. Working on the stand side doors at the moment. 

Space for the tank has been made after selling our super big couch set and moving our tv off the wall.

I'll need to patch and paint the wall then hopefully by next week I can move the stand inside.

Living room is currently a mess but we just got the new couch and dual recliners. I have a side project of making a tv stand for the tv then I can move the tank in.

20170709_134709.jpg

20170819_091646.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Stand is now painted, stained, and poly coated. Still need to install door lights and handles which I may tackle tonight. 

Scheduling a day with my brother to give me a hand with a custom concrete counter top for it. 

Tank location was vetoed due to the wife not liking the glare in it's current location so the tv went back on the wall. Tank will now live in the current tank's location which is where I wanted it originally anyway but it would of been so much easier to have 2 tanks running at the same time. Now I have to figure out how to move the current tank out of the way without fully draining it. I think I still want to buy another 55 gallon tank and make another sump so I don't have to worry about timing. 

I'll also need to work on the canopy next. I'm thinking of continuing the slat wood mix stain look. I just need to figure out a way to make the canopy hinged and open top. Any ideas?

22219088_1840763509286523_1232065612_o.jpg

22217752_1840771835952357_702551208_o.jpg

22219217_1840771902619017_84254130_o.jpg

• Like 3