There and back again, a REEF tank tale, by Jnaylor

Jnaylor

40 minutes ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

How am I always your scapegoat for when things go wrong? I QUIT!

HAHAH! Sorry sorry, if it breaks it is my fault but I will still need your help to fix it!

Holy cow, I am in love with my new flow restrictor on the RO unit... This thing hauls ***!

Its going so quickly that I cant leave it going overnight or it will most likely be overflowing by the time I get up for work! 

15 hours ago, Isaac said:

magnetic float, strip of abs sheetrock corner molding (mount the float to), 24v power brick, sprinkler valve....  $15 for peace of mind.

BAM! Sounds like a plan to me ;)

Is there a build thread for that? 

Sand is in. Salt is mixing. Temp is increasing... slowly. 

Picked up up a stainless steel rod to put my two Maxspect Razors together. Going to figure out a mounting solution tomorrow during work and pick up the material at lunch. Hoping to start to move rock over tomorrow night. Have to get the parameters right first. 

IMG_0662.JPG

Edited by Jnaylor
  • Like 1

That was a fun read!! Thank goodness you were rescued from Cleveland and moved back to Texas, lol.  I was a Texan transplant in Chicago and then central Michigan for WAAAY too many years and had very similar experiences as you did when I moved my systems cross country, too funny! We used Penske and the exhaust filter kept clogging, causing us to have to stop and run a cleaning process, ended up losing corals due to those delays, what a headache!! (never again, lol) . I worked quite a bit in Cleveland a few years back as well!

I almost pulled the trigger on that SCA tank. I had a quote from Steve and was about to get it and decided to wait on the 150g and found a Planet Aquarium for sale in Dallas which was 82g rimless, decided to stay a tad smaller for the next year or so until we purchase a house, silly 2-year lease! I'm looking forward to seeing how you like the SCA and maybe I can come see it before I'm ready to jump to 150g!

Great start on the new system!! I need to stop being lazy and start my build thread here as I am currently buying plumbing, misc. stuff and having a stand made. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's been a long few weeks! A weekend trip to a lake house, and then 6 days traveling for work. I have put many hours into the tank but progress has been slow until this weekend. I finally got the tank mostly cycled and was able to move the fish over and aquascape!

big thanks to @Gig 'em @ NDstructible  For helping me design and execute the aquascape. He is a pro. It turned out really awesome and this time I was finally able to use a rock the way I wanted to when it has caused me such troubles over the years! Nothing like using a whole tube of epoxy to make my dream come true ?.

I was also able to get the lights hung since the fish and coral (singular) were moved over. Got the sump and components all tuned up and got the thing humming. Literally humming, that's the only noise this bad boy makes!!! The bean animal is amazing, so glad I went with the Shadow overflow, thank you @Synergy reef for making such a great product. 

Eveything seems to be doing well except my massive amount of nems are trying to locate the light source ;). I will be buying a pro membership tomorrow and will begin selling off some of my nems and the old tank etc so keep an eye out. 

Here are the update pics!! More to come as things settle in and I stock the fish a bit more. In a few weeks (2 months or so) I will be ready for new frags!! 

Also, don't tell my wife. I ordered another Maxspect after today, couldn't resist the 20% off from @BulkReefSupply!

IMG_0675.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0762.JPG

IMG_0768.JPG

IMG_0773.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

IMG_0799.JPG

IMG_0836.JPG

IMG_0846.JPG

IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_0862.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tank is running smoothly, will post pictures tonight. New fish, a file and flame angel.

Names:

File Fish - Jr Accountant

Flame Angel - Mrs Doubtfire

And for the rest of the fish:

Yellow Tangs: Jesse Pinkman and Heisenburg

Purple Tang: Thanos (marvel, gold and purple armor)

Blue Hippo Tang: Oski (Cal Berkeley Mascot blue and yellow)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Picked up a couple of new tank mates for the rimless today. 

Meet David Copperfield!

Mr Miyagi (harlequin shrimp)

Patrick (Sandsifting starfish)

Vincent Van G-OMG (Talbot Damsel)

75FA3279-5D18-41BB-A3E6-2A0BC8CE5877.jpeg

DFCC1E9C-8567-496F-9BDC-53B39C64E26C.jpeg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Reefpuck said:

Mr Miyagi and Patrick are gonna get along real well! 

Hahah well there is plenty of astarina for Mr Miyagi. Plus the star is completely covered by the sandbed most of the time 

• Haha 1

Picked up a Maxima and a birds nest today.  Moved the maxima up on the rock but it closed up. I’ll get a nice photo tomorrow when he is opened up. 

Name of the Clam? Drum roll...

James Clameron 

154E7B3B-19F8-4A88-BF3E-E705E3914F93.jpeg

040A5645-367A-4F44-BE04-5C5EB95729C5.jpeg

• Like 1