There and back again, a REEF tank tale, by Jnaylor

Jnaylor

Synergy Ghost overflow arrived!!! 

This is the 20", so its huge, and heavy, and beautiful... Also huge... 

I was also off on the size of the bulkheads and now need to order 1.5" plumbing. Now that almost everything is here, I will be putting this thing together finally!! Cant wait. Few last minute things I need to order but we should be up and running by end of next week. 

Fish are happy, but there is a red slime algae breakout that is pretty gnarly. Cant treat while in the trough because it will reduce the oxygen content of the water drastically and I dont want to over-stress my fish. I'll treat first thing in the new tank once I have the sump running and mixing the water well.

IMG_0280.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Very nice!  Reduce the drains to 1", much easier to work with and still plenty of flow.  My 215 gallon barely has enough return flow through my Shadow overflow to even have 1 full siphon, let alone 2.  

Ok sweet, that sounds like a much better option than keeping it 1.5 all the way to the sump. So you are running 1" returns as well? Or did you reduce to 3/4"? Thanks Ty!

@Gig 'em @ NDstructible , maybe we dont need to swap out the PVC! lol

On 7/25/2017 at 4:25 PM, jolt said:

1" is working great on my 180 too

14 hours ago, Isaac said:

1" on mine as well.   dont tee them together, run 2 lines.

Ok perfect, looking forward to getting this thing up and running! Last batch of fittings and valves are on their way! To this point, my thread may have been a little boring, but I promise tank shots and progress will be made soon!! Stick with it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sooooo..... plan is to move the tank onto the stand tomorrow morning!! So excited.

new plumbing, new overflow, new tank. It's everything a man could wish for. 

Edited by Jnaylor
  • Like 1

Aaaaaaannd BAAAM!

Tank up on the stand. Overflow installed. Sump installed. 

Tonight i I will cut/glue pvc. Tomorrow, make the bean! (Get supplies first). 

Long way still to go but it's progress. Love the new tank. 

IMG_0393.JPG

IMG_0394.JPG

IMG_0395.JPG

image.jpg

Spent a few hours last night measuring, laying out the design, and cutting standard pvc. Now that my measurements are all set I am installing the purple schedule 80. Looking awesome so far. 

White pvc for the top section until I make sure I have left overs to replace with purple. 

IMG_0408.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG

image.jpg

IMG_0407.JPG

And voila!!!

Tomorrow I'll grab the pieces to make the bean and get the final approval from @Gig 'em @ NDstructible  on the build.Then it's time for gluing!!  Let that dry a day, then water test. Then we are off to the races!!!

I have Ts for 3 reactors, I will valve those off for now and add reactors in a few months after my wallet recoups ?

IMG_0426.JPG

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0428.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

Also, I have to say I am pretty proud of myself. Everything came out super level and squared off. Not easy, and I had to make several additional tiny cuts to make it all work. Glad it's time for bed and I am finished! Lol

hopefully its not too late..... when making manifolds, don't end w/ an elbow... use a tee and extra pvc and a cap.  this allows you to add onto it later if you ever need to.   looks awesome :)

Got the drains all glued in, the are uniformed almost all the way through, but at the end they were slightly off... 2 of 3 look perfect. Last one is a little wonky but its fine.

Returns will be glued tonight, along with the BEAN animal setup. I should be able to start filling the tank tomorrow! Sand will go in as well along with some of the live rock. Let that cycle through the weekend and then acclimate and move over next week.

I'll post some more pictures tonight as well. 

Glued the rest of the plumbing last night. My least favorite part of plumbing is that it always seems to change slightly when you glue.. My return ended up being so off that I had to put egg crate under the return pump because the plumbing was lifting it off the bottom of my sump!

All glued up though so I am happy. Tonight I will fill er up!!

IMG_0457.JPGIMG_0456 2.JPG

On 8/7/2017 at 11:26 AM, Isaac said:

hopefully its not too late..... when making manifolds, don't end w/ an elbow... use a tee and extra pvc and a cap.  this allows you to add onto it later if you ever need to.   looks awesome :)

Great suggestions @Isaac, though I did end up ending with an elbow because I didn't have an extra T. Worst case I cut the corner out rebuild it with a T down the road. For now I have 3 valves for reactors. Im just glad to be going to the next step!

IMG_0455 2.JPG

Sand will be going in next and filling up. I have probably 40 lbs of sand that I just need to rinse heavily. Ill buy some live sand on Thursday and then let the tank run with sand and a few rocks through the weekend.

3 hours ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

Looking good bud! Can't wait to see this tank full and running, it's going to be so clean and quiet. I might just come over to bask in the silence of it all :lol:

Haha I hope so!! If its gurgling I will yell at you for a poor plumbing design! lol