There and back again, a REEF tank tale, by Jnaylor

Jnaylor

Sounds good. Ill pick some up tomorrow and get started on the interior of the sump... Tank should arrive on Wednesday! Im hoping it gets in on the 4th, then I'll have all day to get it set up!

Ordering the Shadow Overflow tonight, then Ill be getting some plumbing.  @Gig 'em @ NDstructible  has been designing the whole situation while traveling for work. Nothing better to do when stuck in a hotel room i guess! Just keep my budget in mind before you show me another $200 shopping cart for PVC! lol.

Plumbing is ordered, tank should deliver today! 

Next up is to sand/paint the stand. We had guests in town over this weekend so I wasnt able to get anything done on the stand. Fish are happy in the trough so i have some time :)

4 hours ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

What do you plan to do with the back of the aquarium? Are you going to leave it clear, or will you paint the back or put a background on it? Those ghost overflow pipes may not be the most attractive backdrop, even though they're a pretty purple color :lol:

The tank comes with a black back pane :) Now I just have to see how hard it is to keep clean ;)

Nice. Good thing you have an extension scraper! Are you going to run 1/4" lines from your RO reservoir to your tank? It would sure make refilling your ATO easy. We'll just run a line through the wall from the outside to the back of the tank and have a float switch on your ATO reservoir. No more spilled water from refilling the ATO :P

On 7/5/2017 at 3:12 PM, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

Nice. Good thing you have an extension scraper! Are you going to run 1/4" lines from your RO reservoir to your tank? It would sure make refilling your ATO easy. We'll just run a line through the wall from the outside to the back of the tank and have a float switch on your ATO reservoir. No more spilled water from refilling the ATO :P

That sounds like a great plan! Is it ok to have the RO reserve tank in the backyard though in the heat and cold winter?

Edited by Jnaylor

2 minutes ago, Jnaylor said:

That sounds like a great plan! Is it ok to have the RO reserve tank in the backyard though in the heat and cold winter?

Probably not.... I don't think it gets cold enough for it to freeze, but your 1/4 tubes can and that can be bad. And I generally don't like heat and plastic. It may not melt, but heat releases chemicals from plastics and I don't trust any type of plastic.

put a chiller on it? *lol*  winter part is easy... insulate it, drop in a heater.  how far away from the garage is it? 1/4 line is easy to get through walls/attics, crawlspaces, etc.  I;m paranoid, i run it inside a larger tube, just in case it bursts.  (i have an ro line from garage to coffee maker in upstairs office).

1 minute ago, Isaac said:

put a chiller on it? *lol*  winter part is easy... insulate it, drop in a heater.  how far away from the garage is it? 1/4 line is easy to get through walls/attics, crawlspaces, etc.  I;m paranoid, i run it inside a larger tube, just in case it bursts.  (i have an ro line from garage to coffee maker in upstairs office).

Ill probably put mine in the garage as well.. The plan is to at some point move the laundry room into the garage and wall it off. Could stick it in there and make it a fish room as well. Wouldn't be hard to add the AC to the room.

9 minutes ago, Jnaylor said:

Ill probably put mine in the garage as well.. The plan is to at some point move the laundry room into the garage and wall it off. Could stick it in there and make it a fish room as well. Wouldn't be hard to add the AC to the room.

The garage is on the other side of the house from your tank! :blink:

Can definitely run it from there, it'll just be a little more complicated. Still, it beats lugging buckets across the house every week. Too bad there isn't a room on the other side of the wall your tank is on, that would almost be too easy.

2 minutes ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

The garage is on the other side of the house from your tank! :blink:

Can definitely run it from there, it'll just be a little more complicated. Still, it beats lugging buckets across the house every week. Too bad there isn't a room on the other side of the wall your tank is on, that would almost be too easy.

Hahaha. Well I could run a line to my neighbors sink and not tell them... Would be a shorter distance!

Paint is almost done, just need to do a better job on the doors.. I also need to order a new piece for the stand, one of the 1x3 pieces between the doors split right at the end.. The wood was WAY too thin due to the hole being drilled at too much of an angle. I will need to hit up the manufacturer for a replacement.

IMG_0128.JPG

IMG_0130.JPG

Plumbing arrived yesterday! Still no word from Synergy Reef on the 20" Shadow build... Hoping that they ship it out early next week but at this rate no idea... For now my fish are just chillin in the trough.

Stand will get moved into the living room this weekend courtesy of my muscle @Gig 'em @ NDstructible . Tank will go on top and then we wait for the overflow to do the plumbing. We will probably use the time to make a plan/install the components below. Thinking about building a box for the electronics or getting a water proof one... maybe some cool cable management as well... assuming budget permits! Its already getting tight lol. I think I have volunteered my birthday and christmas already :lol: 

I assume you want to rebuild the sump too and re-design it to the new overlfow? This may require ordering a new pane of glass or two. I ordered my baffles from Alamo Glass and they were pretty cheap. I used some sand paper to smooth out the rough edges since it's cheaper that way than having them do it. I think it takes them a couple days to get your glass cut to size and ready to pick up.

47 minutes ago, Isaac said:

my OCD says things i cannot repeat.  almost there tho :)

Hahaha yes. I will still need to do some cleaning up on the paint job... I need to pick up some paint thinner and clean up some edges too.. I promise it will be neatly done!

44 minutes ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

I assume you want to rebuild the sump too and re-design it to the new overlfow? This may require ordering a new pane of glass or two. I ordered my baffles from Alamo Glass and they were pretty cheap. I used some sand paper to smooth out the rough edges since it's cheaper that way than having them do it. I think it takes them a couple days to get your glass cut to size and ready to pick up.

i mean we can do whatever. I figure we have some time to design it. Maybe we can put it on paper this weekend and I can order the glass. I purchased some panels last time from Binswanger, they seem to be pretty cool.

Just got confirmation that my Synergy Overflow will ship out on Friday! So exciting...

In other news, I have a center brace that broke while painting and removing doors etc, so I have a replacement being made right now to put on the stand. Waiting for that to get done before I install it and then put the stand/tank up in the living room. Plumbing has arrived as well.

@Gig 'em @ NDstructible  and I will then design the sump situation once its all delivered. Excited to see what we can come up with.

Edited by Jnaylor
  • Like 1