Removing Coralline Algae from glass?

tennisjad3

So my tank has coralline completely covering all 3 sides except the front. I just moved this weekend and while the water was drained (about 15 from the 29 gal tank), I took a razor and ripped off half the coralline on each side. That being said, it's pretty funky looking having a straight line across all 3 walls where the pure coat of pure/pink just stops. 

Is it safe to remove this stuff with a razor with the tank full? Not sure if scraping a ton off directly in the water will mess up my water (ph, nitrates, ammonia, etc). Plus I like the clear glass look A LOT better!

Please let me know!

Yeah  I wouldn't worry about it too much ... just  pick up larger, unsightly pieces or
just crumble them with your fingers  They  naturally decompose releasing more  nutrients into the
water than anything that will spike harmful trates or phates   The Calcium residue will eventualy crumble into fine sand particles.

2 minutes ago, Timfish said:

+1  A lot of it can continue to grow where it lands if it's getting the right amount of light.

So if I scrape it off the walls and it lands on the rock, it'll grow there? I'm cool with purple rocks. Just a heavyduty coat of this on my walls is getting gross looking to me 

On a side note  Over the last couple of years I have noticed reefers talking about something I have noticed myself with my tanks.  LED tanks do not grow Coralline algae  on glass as much as the florescent lights and the Metal Halides   LEDs seem to keep it on the rocks.  I believe this is because of the optics on LEDs and the light is less diffused to the glass.  I was wondering what type of light you have? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think it would largely depend on how focused the led optics are and how many panels you have,  Bulbs tend to scatter the light more which means more will strike the glass.  Scrape away, you wont hurt anything by removing it off the glass.  You're not killing it just moving it honestly.

Archived