Sad, Sad day :(

Timfish

I had to decide to euthanize one of my fish today.  :(  She was a white band Marroon Clown bought as a female of a pair of wild collected in 1997.  She had stopped eating over a week ago and then couldn't maintain her balance or float.  I would like to say she left behind her mate but she had killed several over the years.   :hmm:

tmp_20117-20170608_192942879894135.jpg

Thank you all!  It was really sad to see her just lying next to a big brown finger Sinularia sp. she's been hosting the last four years.  I counted it up and she's lived through 8 moves and two crashes.  4 of the moves were for redecorating the room she was in, 2 were change of residence and 2 were when her acrylic tank started leaking and she and her tankmates were in a holding tank for a couple weeks while it was repaired.  The first crash was in 2002  when a UV failed during an ick outbreak (I say crash as we lost most of the fish but the corals were fine).  The second crash was 4 years ago when a house sitter somehow accidentally set the heat in the house at 90, only survivors were her, a yellow tang, a green brittle star and some hermit crabs.  How she and the tang made it in an 80 gallon tank when all the leathers, euphilia, zoas and mushrooms and half a dozen other fish were just blobs of goo is beyond me but she was clearly a survivor.

Life expectancy in the wild is around 28 years.  I'm pretty sure she wasn't more than a year or two old when I got her and her mate.  They were in a tank together in Partner's when it was still owned by Tim Weaver and were displaying typical paired behaviour but she was only about 3 1/2" or 4" long or about 2/3rds adult female size.  She really was a black widow though.  Her first mate was found dead a few months after the first move in 2000 and every introduction after wards never survived more than a few weeks even when I tried 3 at one time.  :(

54 minutes ago, mFrame said:

Sorry for your loss Tim.

Wow, she was huge!  20 yrs for a captive fish is an incredible success. 

dont tell PETA that.  havnt you heard, we are torturers 

thats sucks tim, im sorry.  good job though!

48 minutes ago, Timfish said:

Thank you all!  It was really sad to see her just lying next to a big brown finger Sinularia sp. she's been hosting the last four years.  I counted it up and she's lived through 8 moves and two crashes.  4 of the moves were for redecorating the room she was in, 2 were change of residence and 2 were when her acrylic tank started leaking and she and her tankmates were in a holding tank for a couple weeks while it was repaired.  The first crash was in 2002  when a UV failed during an ick outbreak (I say crash as we lost most of the fish but the corals were fine).  The second crash was 4 years ago when a house sitter somehow accidentally set the heat in the house at 90, only survivors were her, a yellow tang, a green brittle star and some hermit crabs.  How she and the tang made it in an 80 gallon tank when all the leathers, euphilia, zoas and mushrooms and half a dozen other fish were just blobs of goo is beyond me but she was clearly a survivor.

Life expectancy in the wild is around 28 years.  I'm pretty sure she wasn't more than a year or two old when I got her and her mate.  They were in a tank together in Partner's when it was still owned by Tim Weaver and were displaying typical paired behaviour but she was only about 3 1/2" or 4" long or about 2/3rds adult female size.  She really was a black widow though.  Her first mate was found dead a few months after the first move in 2000 and every introduction after wards never survived more than a few weeks even when I tried 3 at one time.  :(

Wow that's amazing.

Sorry for your loss.

• 3 months later...

:)   When I started looking for how long fish live it surprised me they have such long lives, in some species much, much longer than our pet cats or dogs.  Isn't your reef older than her also?  And what opened my eyes to how long our systems should live was when I had systems I'd been maintaining for over a decade inherited by family members when my clients died. 

Thank you!  And like many other animals kept in captivity they will live longer than their wild counterparts.  I've had several dwarf angels now live longer than their documented life expectancy (1-10 years).  I know Caribbean  Bluehead wrasse supermales live many times longer than they do in the wild and I would not be surprised if that holds true for other species that have supermales as part of their reproductive process.  Some of our other animals live very long times also like this hermit crab.   When the green brittle star in my skimmerless thread  was added 20 years ago it was roughly half the size if is now (I'm going by diameter of the body, not the length of the legs) and judging from the growth rate I've seen with small specimens I'm pretty comfortable it was already 10 years old or older giving it an estimated age of 30+.  I have a long spine Diadem urchin over 15  years and it initlually had a 2" diameter body so it could easily be over 20 years.   We do get attached to them even if they are spineless and brainless you miss them and you can't help but wonder if there might have been something you could have done better.  :(

Archived