APEX Salinity probe issue

air, copepods, mineral buildup.  whenever i clean mine, it can take a few times of me getting it in the water, swishing it around and mounting it to see if it doesnt bounce like that.  this sensor uses electrical signals to measure the conductivity of the water, anything gets in that path, it acts up.  I ended up putting mine in the refugium instead of the sump to avoid most issues.... except pods.

this sensor should not be used as an "accurate" reading, but more of a check/balance.  like to watch for large swings or drops (ie ATO got stuck on).. but if its in a small range w small swings, its good.  just use a refractometer for accuracy.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this will help with the Apex probe but the DA porbe has to be in a high flow area. I have mine inline with a reactor and use a 1/2" John Guest tubing fitting in a pvc tee for the probe. Seems to be stable, but I still would not use it for control. It can be used with a alarm and shut down ATO and auto water change if the readings get out of bounds.

• 8 months later...

Im not exactly following on your post here but i too had a hell of a time getting mine to work. tried calibrating 3 times. With that having to wait a day for it to dry out. Finally while talking with Neptune about another issue :( they gave me some advice about calibrating it. They suggested i do it manually in the advanced tab. My issue was during the auto way it would time-out since it never reached a good reading on the 2nd part "wet" calibration.

None of the number seems right during the calibration. Afterwards i just let it sit in my tank. after a while i started getting numbers that looked better. 

The pic posted is a little over 24 hours. still a little high from my refract reading but its way better the the basically 0 reading i was getting before. Also seems super slow to update.

Im going to let it sit more and see if it evens out. Ive read a lot of people have issues with this probe. They suggest just using it as a ball park reading. if anything goes super wack then inspect. 

Hope this helps some if your trying to calibrate it.

salt.jpg

Archived