Toxic in my tank

touristsis

On 5/17/2017 at 2:18 PM, Neon Reefer said:

I wonder how this all turned out nearly two days later...let us know

And I'm chiming in pretty late so for next time you think possible chemical toxicity go immediately to a chlorine/ammonia  blocker and locker like Prime and shock the system pretty good IE 2-3 times the regular dosage.  Then do a large water change up to 50% if needed.  Tim is right if you can get some good cycled water from another tank then do it , if not go for the newly made water.  And run lots of carbon.  Then expect to watch the corals and if some are not making it then remove them so the decaying materiel does not accelerate a crash.  Same as fish.  Speaking of fish they will  react as well to ammonia / chlorine levels so the Prime is the first step.  Always keep a bottle on hand  just in case.  I hope it was a false call and all is well.  .   

Hi Neon Reefer,

Thanks for the advise,  quick question.

Im familiar with prime and typically use it in new system to detoxify ammonia and nitrite.  Does prime work on other toxic too, similiar to acrivated carbon?  You have any experience with this?

Right off the Prime site. 

Only time I think it is not best is when cycling a tank,  You wouldn't want to remove the ammonia that will jump start the cycle.  But with a living reef yes, if you feel you may have a contaminant or find a larger than reef can handle dead occupant that is spiking ammonia.  It can help stop the cycle of a crash.  Just remember after using Prime many ammonia testing devices will show an ammonia level present.  But the ammonia is converted to a non lethal form. 

• Remove chlorine, chloramines and ammonia
  • Convert ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter
  • Detoxify nitrite and nitrates, allowing biofilter to more efficiently remove them
  • Detoxify any heavy metals found in the tap water at typical concentration levels
  • Promote production and regeneration of the natural slime coat

Hi Everyone,

So I think I found out what the real cause here was.  About a year ago, I've added a pink bubble tip anemone to this tank.  It was beautiful.  I use to be able to spot feed him.  However as I added more corals, he keeps on moving to hard to reach places.  I've stop spot feeding him.  A few days ago, it showed up, it was in pretty bad shape, it was pretty torn up and fell apart.  Anyone had an anemone do this to their tank?

Archived