Blue Ribbon Eel

julespinkyd

A few years ago I had purchased a Blue Ribbon Eel here on the reef club. I had it for quite a while until it jumped out one day and my dog ate it. Does anyone know where I can get one here local?

I saw ribbon eels every week when I was stationed in Hawaii, but I've never seen a local hobbyist with a well adapted eel. I've seen two people in Austin that got specimens to eat, but they both died within a year. I hope you find one and be sure to share a picture when you do!

Back when Bark-N-Purr sold SW fish and I was in the 1st 6mos or so of owning my tank, they sold me a BRE (for like $90) and told me it was easy to keep, no problem, just needed to feed it ghost shrimp (or something else live, can't recall exactly, that was 18yrs ago...).  Went to Rivers & Reefs (back when it was on S Congress) and the guy there was like "uh, no. hard to keep/feed/etc".  Within 24hrs the eel was super stressed out, looked like it was having a hell of a time "breathing" and wasn't going to do well, so I took it back to BNP.  While they did take it back, they also banned me from ever shopping there again.

5 minutes ago, BobcatReefer said:

Back when Bark-N-Purr sold SW fish and I was in the 1st 6mos or so of owning my tank, they sold me a BRE (for like $90) and told me it was easy to keep, no problem, just needed to feed it ghost shrimp (or something else live, can't recall exactly, that was 18yrs ago...).  Went to Rivers & Reefs (back when it was on S Congress) and the guy there was like "uh, no. hard to keep/feed/etc".  Within 24hrs the eel was super stressed out, looked like it was having a hell of a time "breathing" and wasn't going to do well, so I took it back to BNP.  While they did take it back, they also banned me from ever shopping there again.

Ouch! Priority to 2005 or so was a hard time for hobbyists. I think we all have a story like this. Mine was $200 worth of hermit crabs and snails. The detritus was so thick from lack of flow that they didn't even make a dent! The people that I've seen be successful with ribbon eels have put them into mature reefs with live food already seeded. They're fish eaters and it helps to have Mollies or damselfish established beforehand. LA says that White Ribbon Eels are easier to keep than Black or Blue Ribbon Eels. The people that I mentioned in my last post having success all had white eels. I don't know if that makes a difference. 

5 hours ago, BobcatReefer said:

Gorgeous creatures but tough to keep.  What kind of setup did you have the last one in, jules?

I used to have it in a 90g with a bit of Rock. Now I have a 150g

Archived