Dragon's Breath Not Looking Too Good

Wade

Thanks Sasha.  I trimmed back the yellowing pieces and backed the light off a bit.  I also noticed the the timer had been switched to outlet on instead of timer on.  It's probably been that way since my last water change about two weeks ago so I'm betting it was too much light like you mentioned.  It'll probably look better in a few days.  Thanks again!

Good idea cutting the dead parts back. Check back in about a week and see if it's recovering.

Red and green macroalgae are pretty accommodating when it comes to lighting requirements. I think 3,000K to 6,500K fluorescent is the best, but some people have had success with LED's. Plants grow the best under yellow light, which is optimal for photosynthesis. I use the bulb listed here, about midway down the page. The wattage used will depend on the photo period. I like 8 hours at 40W equivalent or 12 hours at 25W if you're using reverse lighting. 

I like the twist CFL bulbs, but some people use the LED's. Most of them are just trying to be fancy, but some are trying to limit equipment heat. CFL and incandescent bulbs run hotter than LED's and add some heat to the water. The heat can help stabilize water temperature when running on a reverse cycle, but might be a problem if you run the display and refugium at the same time. Heat probably isn't an issue for tanks above 100 gallons unless you're running VHO or MH lighting. Otherwise changing the bulb probably won't yield better results. 

Archived