SChrisEv’s 375g reef

SChrisEV

7 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Did you say coral? Come get some testers sir! I owe you a ton of frags.

That's a nice rack!

I've joked around a good bit about "owing" frags, and my official stance is you owe me nothing.... that said, I'd love some frags to "test" with :)  Not sure if you are available today, but I'll be out running some errands (all tank related) if you have any available.  If not no real rush.

I've joked around a good bit about "owing" frags, and my official stance is you owe me nothing.... that said, I'd love some frags to "test" with [emoji4]  Not sure if you are available today, but I'll be out running some errands (all tank related) if you have any available.  If not no real rush.

My official stance is I owe you and I'm pushy and stubborn so we'll run with that. [emoji23]

I'll text you bud to coordinate.

Just now, FarmerTy said:

My official stance is I owe you and I'm pushy and stubborn so we'll run with that. emoji23.png

I'll text you bud to coordinate.

LOL, much rather you feel you owe me than the other way around then ;)

On 5/20/2017 at 1:06 PM, Reeflogic said:

lol!!  Well, if that's the case, I think a new FTS is required!! :D

Unfortunately, I had to take her out, the purple tang kept bullying her.  I think he was trying to mate, I had to draw the line.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a par meter that I can borrow, or better yet bring over and help me test my lights?  I'm using a combination of lights, all LED, some I've had for quite some time, and I just want to know if I'm good to continue using them, or if its' time to look at other options. 

12 minutes ago, SChrisEV said:

Does anyone have a par meter that I can borrow, or better yet bring over and help me test my lights?  I'm using a combination of lights, all LED, some I've had for quite some time, and I just want to know if I'm good to continue using them, or if its' time to look at other options. 

Me...just got mine yesterday.  I'm pretty tied up on Saturday but should be available most of the day Sunday.

2 minutes ago, Jimbo662 said:

Me...just got mine yesterday.  I'm pretty tied up on Saturday but should be available most of the day Sunday.

That would be great, tell me when works best for you Sunday.  Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Jimbo662 said:

HA...did I say I have a par meter?

Just now, FarmerTy said:

I would have accepted... We're friends?... As an appropriate response as well. emoji23.png

Ha, that's what I was going to ask.  Ty, friends?  I mean sure you feel sorry for the guy once in a while, but friends? :devil:

2 minutes ago, SChrisEV said:

Ha, that's what I was going to ask.  Ty, friends?  I mean sure you feel sorry for the guy once in a while, but friends? :devil:

I will definitely call Ty a friend especially after coming to my rescue last year to help with the fish I had in QT when I was laid up and on crutches!

Ha, that's what I was going to ask.  Ty, friends?  I mean sure you feel sorry for the guy once in a while, but friends? [emoji317]

I've made a pretty good life for myself riding the whole feel sorry for me business. You got suckered twice already! [emoji41]

39 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

I've made a pretty good life for myself riding the whole feel sorry for me business. You got suckered twice already! emoji41.png

Oh... I have nothing to say to that, other than, yep.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jimbo662 said:

I will definitely call Ty a friend especially after coming to my rescue last year to help with the fish I had in QT when I was laid up and on crutches!

I'm kidding.  I'd call Ty a friend, even if I have to pay him to call me a friend in return! <_<

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Little update; I've had a few corals in the system now for a few weeks, and they are doing well.  I have not tested my Ca or Alk (I know, bad reefer) but with the large water volume I have and the very small amount of coral, in there I am doing visual "testing" right now. :)  I plan to change that this weekend and start actual testing.

I am having an issue that I need to resolve, well two.  They might be related, but one is concerning me the other is not as much.  The anemones I have in my display tank are not doing really well.  The tentacles are very short (sorry I don't have a picture).  The bodies are fine, in a couple cases very large, but the tentacles are just not expanding like they were before.  I still have a couple rainbow nems in my holding tank (not the same water volume) that are doing absolutely great, great color, great extension etc. so I have some issues with my water chemistry in the display I assume, but again the coral in there are looking good.  That leads me to my next issue.  My water will get clear, then it will get pretty cloudy.  Day or so later is clears up again, just to get cloudy in the next day or so.  This cycle has been going on for a while (couple weeks).  I still do NOT have all my reactors in place, right now only the skimmer, and carbon are online.  No GFO, no bio pellets, no CaRX.  Maybe an algae bloom?  For all intent and purposes, I don't have any real nutrient export other than the skimmer.  I do have a small bit of chetomorpha, but if it is growing at all it's SUPER slow, so wouldn't that indicate low nutrients?  It's lit with a grow light for 12 hours.

All the fish in the system are doing well, show no signs of stress.  Any ideas?

I've finally put my design together for my remote refugium and frag system.  It will be plumbed into the larger system.

Refugium_FragDesign.png

Water would flow from left to right.  Enter on the top side via 1/2" line with two drains (main and emergency)

Please comment and let me know if you see things that are wrong, or suggestions to make it better.

It sounds like you may be having bacterial blooms in your tank. That would explain the cloudiness that comes and goes at random.

When you say your anemones tentacles are getting smaller, do you mean they look like they're physically shrinking and becoming dwarfed, or are they becoming deflated and look like empty balloon animal balloons?

33 minutes ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

It sounds like you may be having bacterial blooms in your tank. That would explain the cloudiness that comes and goes at random.

When you say your anemones tentacles are getting smaller, do you mean they look like they're physically shrinking and becoming dwarfed, or are they becoming deflated and look like empty balloon animal balloons?

It's got little baby tentacles, like 1/4-1/2 long.  Normally inches long.  Not deflated.  I'll try and get a pic tonight if the light are on when I get home

20 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Perhaps the cloudiness is from the anemones expelling their guts in response to not ideal water conditions? Seems odd to have bacterial blooms with a large skimmer on the system and very low bioload.

Yeah, I know there are a number of different factors in "ideal water conditions" but the leather, mushrooms,  handful of zoas, torch, hammer, and few chalice I have are all looking good.  Unfortunately, I'm at the office much of the day, but I have not seen anything expel from the nems.

How cloudy are we talking here? A slight haze or full on milky water? The anemones could be spewing gametes into the water as a stress response. Brittle stars could also be doing this occasionally. I have seen BTAs essentially shrink from a full anemone into a tiny resemblance of what they once were. It's almost like catabolysis when the organism starts consuming itself for self preservation. I don't know exactly what causes this, it could be stress, water quality, or an infection. Might be worth some research.