SChrisEv’s 375g reef

SChrisEV

This morning one of the smaller rainbows had moved onto a rock that I could move but did not have time.  If he'd still attached to it this morning I plan to move it to my holding tank to see how it respond to that system.

Picture lighting is not great because of how low the tank lights are, but here is what one of them look like, most are similar, this is a rainbow:

WP_20170621_20_39_22_Pro.jpg

This is not the same one, but this is what is used to look like (the one on the picture is in my holding tank right now):

WP_20170604_18_11_23_Rich.jpg

Maybe the new system just not stable enough for the nems. I always heard wait 6 months before adding a nem don't know the reason for sure but I have always stuck to this rule and has worked for me. Is the mouth gaping open from the picture it looks like it might be trying to expell its guts

Well, maybe I've been lucky, or some other magic, but for any BTA that I've had, they have been hardier than most anything else, and I've had some form of a BTA for... > 7 years now.  And I'm not trying to be critical of your comment, but the holding tank is the exact same source water and is actually younger than the display by at least two weeks, and only a 40g breeder. ;)  All that said, I have something going on that they are not liking.  I just don't know what.  

The mouth is open, but I have not seen anything some out of any of their months, but that is not saying a lot, I don't work at home much these days.

Okay, a momentary subject change had anyone had any experience keeping  an Atlantic Blue Tang:
FTAAT500AT.jpg.f0d6f92450ee749c0d23771183e29df1.jpg
What can you tell me about them?

Hmmm, never tried one. I know Juiceman plans to have one, maybe chat with him.

• 1 year later...

I often tell myself that "this week" I'm going to get more active on ARC again.... and this week passes on to the next.  So I figured an update is better than nothing.  The aquarium has been up and running for about 1 and a half years, but it does not look like it.  I've had a crazy busy year with work and other stuff so the aquarium has definitely taken a back seat.  Because of my lack of attention I've had ALL sorts of issues, ALK swings from 9 dkh all the way down to 6.33 dkh, NItrates went through the roof, really unmeasurable and all the fun that goes with all of that, algae etc. My remote fuge cracked on an inlet, it's been offline for a large number of months now, my external pump died... twice, but lasted long enough to provide some micro cracks on around the bulkhead I had to deal with, now I run an internal DC pump.  Yeah, it's been fun, so as you can see the time I have had to spend on the tank has been more unplanned "Oh sh1t" time rather than getting it all tuned in, but I did not lose hope!

Over the past few months I've made the time (yes made the time, for a low price, $$,$$$,$$$,$$$, I'll sell ya the receipt) and I have seen some very positive results.  I still have improvements to make, but I feel like I am finally on the right path.  I'll post a few pics, for the most part, the fish have all survived, even with the super high Nitrates, but only a few corals made it through. Zoa's did great, thrived actually, the leather also did great, most of the rest you see in the pics are newer adds to the system.  I had a TON of aiptasia that a coral banded butterfly finally took to and totally wiped out, but then would not take to any other prepared foods and eventually died, now I have a good but of aiptasia back again.

Some pics (taken from my phone, sorry they are not great)...

20181107_173318.jpg20181107_173354.jpg20181107_173423.jpg20181107_173437.jpg20181107_173510.jpg20181107_173550.jpg20181107_173611.jpg20181107_173709.jpg20181107_173725.jpg20181107_175009.jpg20181107_175057.jpg20181107_175103.jpg20181107_175105.jpg20181107_175117 1.jpg

Edited by SChrisEV
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimbo662 said:

Hey look who it is!  :cheer:

Did you get the new lights one???

Yes sir, the tank is very well lit now with 4 Radion Pro G4s, and a total of 28 feet of T5s with a few different color spectrums.  One of these days I need to have you back out to see what Par I am achieving now.  

11 minutes ago, SChrisEV said:

Yes sir, the tank is very well lit now with 4 Radion Pro G4s, and a total of 28 feet of T5s with a few different color spectrums.  One of these days I need to have you back out to see what Par I am achieving now.  

Ok, just let me know...anytime other than next weekend.  It's time for my yearly move!  😉

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello @KimP good to hear from you.  I, unfortunately, don't have too much to add from my last post, work has just kept me busy.  I'm still not keeping SPS well, couple pieces are doing well, but overall still haven't dialed that in.  LPS and softies are doing well, have a nice golden torch that I added right after the pics above, it has grown a good bit.  I have just finally (this weekend) got my 75g mixing station done with plumbing (removable) between my 100g freshwater reservoir and the aquarium so I'll be able to do water changes with no buckets!  I hope to tacket the remote refugium in the next weekend or two to get it back into service. 

I also made some progress on the stand (shell), need front trim and doors, build the canopy and stain it.  Again I hope to knock it out over the next few weeks as time permits.

20181215_181321.jpg

How is your tank coming along Kim? 

Hello @Kkiel02, not the best FTS, but as you know an 8-foot tank is hard to get a good pic of.  I have a room the tank is in, I wish the back wall was a few feet further back. :)

Edited by SChrisEV
  • Like 4

That water change set up sounds amazing! I'm still pushing around brute cans and dealing with tubing 😂  My tank is doing great these days. I'm getting it back in to shape. I still have one of your Tonga branch rocks in my sump!

Everything is looking really good! I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the stand finished and what you do with the canopy. What do you use the space underneath for, if anything?

Storage!  I have my light transformers, and Energy Bar, few Apex modules, and the gyre controller all mounted on the back wall so I have all the other space for just storage... and I love it. I have ideas for a couple of things to do under there, but so far I just have an extra 29g empty tank, 5g buckets, drip acclimation stuff etc. 

Feel free to do what you want with the tonga branch, use it, give it, whatever you like, :)  I mean it was your originally after all if memory serves.  Are you still raising nudibranch?  My aiptasia issue is gone again due to a great copper banded butterfly. And this one east frozen mysis so I hope to keep him for a long time.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

It's been so long since I've posted any updates.  Over the last couple years, I've really had a hard time keeping my tank parameters in a good place (as in other things have been the priority) to really keep many coral.  This I've had a large fish tank.  That isn't a horrible thing as I still find the aquarium very relaxing and I have some great fish.... but still not what my intention was when starting this system up.  So over the past several months I've been working to "automate" even more, to help keep everything in balance.  I've been doing an automatic water change, 5 gal/day, for a while now, have been good about not over feeding, etc. and with the help of a trident have a very good understanding of my dkh & Ca from day to day.  A few months ago I added a few "simpler" SPS, and they have been doing well.  

I have an issue with what I've just learned is "clove polyp", thank you @victoly, so now time to try and deal with that.  I'll work on getting some pictures added in the near future.

Edited by SChrisEV
  • Like 4