SChrisEv’s 375g reef

SChrisEV

With a lot of help, in three phases the new tank is in the new house!  It’s  375g 96” long, 36” deep, and 25” tall.  The glass is 3/4”, @Jimbo662 calculated it is over 890lbs, it’s a beast.  It’s sitting on three metal stands that are 37” tall

FTS:

FullTankShot.jpg

When looking for a new house I had a fish/sump room in mind.  The floor plan we went with was close to perfect.  I added some walls, move a closet and ended up with a small, but functional room on the wall behind the aquarium room! 

AquirumArea.png

Like I said it is small, but I’m not complaining!!  I have a sump room!  Looking forward to not having to crawl around/under to clean and do basic maintenance. 

The fish/sump room is just under 8 feet long by close 5 feet wide. This is the design view looking at the shared wall between the display and fish/sump rooms:

SumpRoom_Hor.png

I will have a refugium/frag tank at 5' high, so I should have plenty of room to clean the skimmer, reactors etc.but as always, I'm sure I'll wish I had more room, once it's full. :)  I'll get more pics once it's more setup.

The sump is 60" long, obviously, the CaRX will not be in the compartment as it is now, just needed the space. :)  See already complaining about the lack of space.

Sump.jpg

The frame is almost ready:

Sump_RefugeStand.jpg

I was able to get the plumbing and a sink in the room, so easy water making, and other.

SumpSink.jpg

I still have a lot to do, and only a couple weeks to get it all done before livestock needs to be moved in.  The actual finish work, making the stand look good will be done after the dust settled from the move and I have time to actually breath, oh, and some garage space. :)

• Like 4

For internal water movement, I went with two GYRE XF280, I'm hoping to not need any other internal pumps, but with a 36" wide tank I may need more to cover the width and have not dead spots.

The return pump from sump to display is a Reeflo Super Dart/Snapper Gold Hybrid.  I'll start with the 4300 GPH impeller and see how that goes.

I went with a Skimz Octa SC255i Internal Protein Skimmer, it has dual Messner pumps that are supposed to be very good, well see. :)

I also got a Skimz CaRX, the Monzter CM202 External Calcium Reactor.

APEX Controller

I'll run separate GFO, carbon and bio pellet reactors driven off a stand along pump.

I might run a UV sterilizer,  but I am not sure.

Existing Fish from the current tank to move over:

• Purple Tang
  • Yellow Tang
  • Hippo Tang
  • Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish (bonded and mating)
  • Black Flurry Ocellaris Clownfish
  • Solar wrasse, male and female (no action yet)
  • 6 Line wrasse (might end up in a fish/sump room tank)
  • Clown Fairy Wrasse (Male and female)
  • Solo Chromis
  • 3 Bartlett's Anthias (Two males so need to swap a male for a female)
  • Midas Blenny

Existing Inverts:

• Serpent star
  • Bristle Star
  • Sea Cucumber (or two, or three)
  • Cleaner shrimp
  • Coral banded shrimp
  • Fighting conch
  • misc snails

Existing Coral:
  • Rasta Zoa
  • Dragon Eye Zoa
  • Radio Active Green Zoa
  • Purple Death Palys
  • Toadstool leather (two types)
  • Australian Big Polyp Blastomussa
  • Sherman Rose BTA (is that a coral or invert ??)
  • Rainbow BTA

I think that is it.  I'll list my wants later.

11 minutes ago, Juiceman said:

Looks cool dude. Do you have ventilation for that room?

Also, you may want to wait to put that purple tang in in case its aggressive towards everything else you put it

There is a pretty large gap under the door, I will be installing an AC unit, and I had the builder put a roof vent so I can add an exhaust fan if needed, I may just do it anyway these next couple weeks.

And the purple, is pretty big, so I might have to look at that.  

There is a pretty large gap under the door, I will be installing an AC unit, and I had the builder put a roof vent so I can add an exhaust fan if needed, I may just do it anyway these next couple weeks.
And the purple, is pretty big, so I might have to look at that.  

I just looked and now I can see the whole post..

For some reason it only showed me purple Tang as what was being put in. If you've got a bunch of other fish then go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/21/2017 at 10:35 AM, BornToHula said:

Awesome build!  What brand of sump is that? It looks great.

It's a custom build sump from Salty Fish Aquariums in San Antonio.  They did a good job and I got it pretty quickly.

Probably too late for a drain in the room?

Also, might want to consider elevating the sump a bit, that way you can drain it a little easier if necessary.

I had my sump room in a closet in a small office (not sure if you ever saw the set up), but it definitely needed a dehumidifier, which heated the space and caused the AC to run, etc. Don't discount the amount of humidity. It can be a challenge.

I saw you put in a split AC unit. Good idea. Probably try and see if you can get one with humidity control as well.

2 hours ago, olaggie01 said:

Probably too late for a drain in the room?

I asked them about a drain in the beginning of the process, they rejected the request because of required drain slope, I  suspect if I pushed I could have made it happen. 

Also, might want to consider elevating the sump a bit, that way you can drain it a little easier if necessary.

The picture I posted was not the final, I have a frame/stand that is 2x2 metal tubing, and then a 3/4 board and 1/2 neoprene foam so I'll have just over 3" of elevation, I know it's not much, but I wanted as much head room to get in clean etc. the sump.  I hope to have an updated pic by the weekend.

I had my sump room in a closet in a small office (not sure if you ever saw the set up), but it definitely needed a dehumidifier, which heated the space and caused the AC to run, etc. Don't discount the amount of humidity. It can be a challenge.

I saw you put in a split AC unit. Good idea. Probably try and see if you can get one with humidity control as well.

The A/C unit claims to remove up to 2.2 pt of moisture from the air per hour with its humidity control, but I've also installed a separate vented humidity control ventilation unit as well.  It will turn on at 60% humidity.  I hope those two things are enough. Otherwise I'll have to keep the door open to the garage, I don't really want to do that.

Along with doing basic move in stuff, preparing my attic for storage, etc. I had a busy weekend.  One big task I hoped to have complete was the sump room... I fell short of that goal.  I made some good progress, but as usual the unexpected happened.  Why don't we just call it the expected? Okay, that is a whole other topic. :)  

So then I opened the wall for the A/C unit, what did I see?  A run of Romex.... so I took advantage of the issue by move the switch that it was run to and added an additional switch for a ceiling vent.

The AC unit works GREAT in this small space, had a remote control so I can set the desired temperature, it will cycle on and off as needed. I still need to trim the unit to make it look good, but that can happen later.

SumpAC.png

The ceiling vent has three modes, Off, Always on high, and humidity controlled.  Turn on at 60% humidity slow, then ramps up if the humidity increases.  I'm sure I'll have to play with these as they work together to find the best setup.

CelingVent.jpg

I actually got more done than this but neglected to take any pictures.  Oops.  I'll have more to come soon.

• Like 1

The sump room stand turned out awesome!  The metal work was done by NDstructible, I HIGHLY recommend them.  I've had two very positive experiences personally, and have seen his work on two other projects, all have been stellar!  It's fun to see someone that really enjoys doing their trade, the extra attention to details shows.  Given that he's now done a number of aquarium stands he understand what we want and the desire to have super clean welds etc.  The powder coating was done by PRO-TEC, they did a great job as well, with a very fast turn around.

SumpStand.png

Forgive the messy garage on the right pic, this was before everything was up in the attic!  I told you I had a busy weekend!. ;) 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

As much PVC plumbing as I've done, between underground sprinklers, multiple tanks, and different manifolds, I'm pretty comfortable with the process, but this is the first time I have plumbed a tank through a wall, so I've really taken my time to plan out, and measure 2 and 3 times before cutting. :)  While I am happy to say I did not have ANY miss cuts with PVC, there are a few things I would do differently the next time around (I hope, unless helping someone else, that will not be for a LOOONG time) do some things a little different.  For example, I wanted to make the least impact on the wall as possible, I wanted the plumbing to be as close to the wall as I could, in the case of the display it was needed just because of the layout of the drains and returns, and I wanted to use ridge pipe and glued joints as much as possible to minimize leaks.  But I now have two pipes, the drains, that basically can't be removed from the wall without cutting them.  Had I just cut a larger whole, maybe a square in the wall, framed it up nice and then created and access panel, I would not have had to be as precise with the cuts (in some cases down to the 1/16") but I do think it turned out pretty good.  Pressure leak testing for 12 hours so far is showing no leaks.  I'll cycle the water this evening and see if I still have no leaks. 

Under the display:

DisplayPlumbing.jpg

In the sump room, sump filled up with water:

SumpLeakTest.jpg

APEX board is up, I left 3/4" space behind to route and hide cords, the board easily lifts off the wall.  Still have a few APEX gadgets to mount, and my Carbon and GFO reactors to mount on the wall.  CaRX is currently planned to sit on a shelf right above the two drain lines.

APEX Board.jpg

• Like 2