Juiceman's AGE 200 Gallon Reef

Juiceman

I decided to make a new thread since this is basically a new setup and no longer Juiceman's Oceanic 200.

This was my Reef before Catastrophe.

1-Pre Leak.jpg

On The First day of my Teacher Winter Break...... I was awoken by my girlfriend yelling at me that the return pump was sucking air and the was water all over the floor....

I came downstairs to find this

2-Leak.jpg

We frantically began draining water into the 100 gallon tub I happen to still have and a 55 gallon drum so we could save all the coral and few fish that were in the tank.

We emptied all of the water into the tubs and put all the coral in place, scooped out all the sand and put the live rock in the 55 gallon drum with a pump.

4-Tub.jpg5-Empty Tank.jpg6-Live Rock.jpg7-Sand.jpg

Everything was temporarily stable by about noon so I could go to the tractor supply to pick up another tub and try to get everything plumbed back into the sump so I could get life-support back online.

I picked up 150 gallon tub since They didn’t have any 100 gallons and plumbed it into my Sump via the overflows from my tank and some extra tubing I had left over.

11-Tub.jpg12-Plumb.jpg

This is how my living room looked for the next 3 months.

10-State.jpg

The rest of the live rock lived in my garage for 3 months.

13-Live Rock.jpg

The tank seal split about 5 feet from the top of Chico to the paper towel roll. This is where the tank was originally re-sealed in the first place. I blame its failure on all the moving and shutting down back-and-forth for the first mive to my house and then down and up again for the new stand. I didn’t have to put any force with that tool into the gap just to give you an idea.

8-Leak.jpg9-Leak.jpg

What the end of that day looked like.....

13-Living Room.jpg

I got Quotes from AGE, Reef Saavy, Planet Aquarium, and DAS for the exact same footprint tank so I didn't throw away all the Plumbling, Electrical, and other work I just did with the new stand.

Reef Saavy Quoted me 8 Months

AGE Quoted 8 Weeks

Never heard back from the others... So after some back and forth, AGE was who I went with.

14-Plan.jpg

Black Silicone, PVC Bottom, Black Back, Drilled in the same place as my old tank, Steel Bracing.

They delayed by an extra 3-4 weeks because of bad PVC material they were getting, so they waited unitl good material came in. (This shows why they have 0 record of tank failure, at least according to them)

15-New Tank.jpg16-Tank.jpg17-Done.jpg

Finally done and curing!

Then.. a week later!

18-Here.jpg19-Unload.jpg20-Door.jpg21-In Place.jpg22-AGE.jpg23-Trim.jpg24-Brace.jpg25-Unwrapped.jpg26-Together.jpg

The Tank looks very good and sturdy.  My only gripe at this point was that they put extra plasitc trim under the Metal trim to Glass Tops. I told them I didn't want them since I wouldn't use glass tops, and they put them anyway.

So the plan now:

Fill the Tank, Build Rockscape, Add Sand, Mini Cycle (If there is one) plumb back in once levels look good, Shut down the Tub, regain my living room... and Go!

27-Water.jpg28-Water.jpg29-Water.jpg30-Rock.jpg31-Sand.jpg32-Settled.jpg34-Clear.JPG

Ran into one hiccup.... The holes for my overflows were cut too low. We sent AGE one of my Glass Holes overflows because I was worried about this exact issue, and it appears they didn't check and just went off the measurements I sent them.

35-Running.jpg

So the water level was under the Trim..... I spoke with Fish Gallery and they said they'd make it right.I told them i'd already built my aquascape and filled the tank.

I contacted Glass Holes and they said they could custom make overflows that were slightly taller. In the meantime....

I moved all the Coral and Fish over!

36-Moved.jpg

No more fish Tub!

37-Room.jpg38-Now.jpg

I situated the QT and Tank Cabinitry so that I could put the ATO container back away.

39-Organized.jpg

New Overflows!

40-New Overflow.jpg

It was a severe Pain to put them on since that extra Plastic trim was in the way. I ended up having to cut it off with a dremel to install them.

This is a shot of the Tank setup from my Stairwell

41-Night.jpg

Everything is Stabilized and looking good.

Fish seem to be happy, eating well and not fighting... much.

Alk - 6.6 - I added some buffer last night, will test and get the CARX tuned again.

Po4 - .03 - not concerned about this one as I've been feeding the Fish Everyday to help with the stress.

To do list.

I sliced through a Tunze cord trying to remove the tank trim, so I'm going to repair the wires by soldering them and heat shrinking them.

Monitor ALK to get the CARX tuned to the new load.

Restock Coral for the few that I lost, and continue stocking fish.

ENJOY BEING ABLE TO SEE MY TANK AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

fe60875f02919886c201aae2900a6f5c.jpg

Live View

• Like 2

Man, I had no clue you'd been going through all that.  It sounds like a nightmare!  That all said, the new tank is looking great, and I'm happy you were able to keep as much alive as you did.

Also sounds like your girlfriend is a keeper.  I don't know if my wife would have accepted our living room in such a state for 3 months!

I've got something funky going on with my fish and I'm not sure what my net step should be.

I definitely have ich but it's never been this bad on newer fish like it is, plus I have some type of bacterial thing going on as well... only on newer fish.

All of my older fish and several of the new ones show zero issues.....

But lots of the new ones don't live past a week or so.

Thinking of going back to a UV sterilizer and I'm currently running cyano rx to try and rid the tank of some excess bacteria (cyano rx is an anti bacterial so it seems like it may work) well see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yikes...not good to hear.  I think I'm definitely running a UV on all my tanks going forward.  When stocking the 66g I didn't have one outbreak of anything.  Cross my fingers...6 months in and everyone is happy and healthy. Actually today I'm switching out the old one which will go on the new tank and installed the new one on the 66g. Doing the switch only because BRS quit selling the 18w so had to go with the 25w and it's YUGE!!!! The old one will fit nicely behind the sump in the stand of the new tank.

IMG_20170423_112412767_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well...

I think I have velvet in the tank.

I did an experiment and didn't add the new fish directly into the tank. It instead kept them isolated in acclimation chambers just to see if they still died with no fish stressing them.

60bf39002c52c2554e3a434accc216fe.jpg

He was eating fine in QT, only made it 3 days in the display water, even though he was separated from all the other fish.

35712c77647dee48b14a917730aca47a.jpg

The puffer showed similar signs, glazed look, dusted, slime coat, fresh water dipped him and he perked right up.

b6f53cd0b512fc5ec96ac69c2aa686ab.jpg

Time to catch everyone and go without fish so the velvet can die off while I treat everyone.

I'm not too concerned about my current stock as they were doing fine with it.

• 2 weeks later...

410f802575cb3e321d997b5d297af2e0.jpg

Well... Jake at River City referred me to contact Dr Chad Harris at North Austin Animal Clinic off Burnet to try and get a handle on what was killing my newer fish.

After some back and forth emailing I dropped off a few fish today to be checked out.... felt a little odd dropping my fish off at the vet..! Lol

Well, he has diagnosed my fish having brook.

He was able to sedate my sailfin Tang and take a small clipping of his gills for examination.

So a plan is in place to take care of it. I'm not too concerned as these fish have been living with it for a few months now and are evidently quite Tolerant to it.

I only have 3 more to catch out of the display, then it will be fallow for 2 months. The life cycle of brook takes 6 weeks to die off, so I'll do an extra 2 weeks just to be safe.

$68 to know for certain what's going on and be able to treat accordingly so as not to have anymore useless death. Worth every penny!

• Like 2

I qt'd everything that was in the tank, but I guess they were so "immune" to it that I never knew there was an infection. It was only apparent to the newer fish.

I guess the Brook is more common than you think being that I've had it twice now....

What is your plan for treating the brook in the current stock? Formalin?

I went to Aquatek and asked them for formalin. the only over-the-counter medication that has formalin it is Mardel quick cure. I checked in with the vet and he told me to go for it. I started treatment this morning

Awesome tank, great recovery from the busted seam, but then to get hit with brooklynella!  BUMMER! Double whammy :(  This hobby can keep us on our toes, to the point that some may have just walked away. It's always so awesome to see reefers that go through major heartaches and frustration stay right in the saddle and never throw in the towel. My hat's off to you, and here's to hoping for a full recovery of the brook!

Awesome tank, great recovery from the busted seam, but then to get hit with brooklynella!  BUMMER! Double whammy [emoji20]  This hobby can keep us on our toes, to the point that some may have just walked away. It's always so awesome to see reefers that go through major heartaches and frustration stay right in the saddle and never throw in the towel. My hat's off to you, and here's to hoping for a full recovery of the brook!

Thank You Sir.

So far I've lost my Anthias. All tangs, butterfly's, Blennys, clowns, and wrasses are fine.

They still show signs even after my second treatment of quick cure.

I went ahead and ordered some Formalin to do a full dip as you should for Brook. It'll be here on Tuesday.

Coral are all doing well. Starting to encrust and polyps are nice and busy.

I still have 3 fish to catch out of the display. I'm not sure how I'm going to get them out... they're not going for the trap. Or at least not far enough in for me to catch them.