FarmerTy's 215 gallon - No Water Changes SPS Tank

FarmerTy

3 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

I didn't bother with Mg or Ca yet as they are usually in line when alk is.

this isnt a "usual" situation... check everything *lol*  new sand >new cycle there.  new tank/silicon >new cycle there.  new plumbing >new cycle there.  you lost a TON of your old support sponges and support when the sump got "flushed,"  so.. nothing "usual" anymore man.

• Like 1

this isnt a "usual" situation... check everything *lol*  new sand >new cycle there.  new tank/silicon >new cycle there.  new plumbing >new cycle there.  you lost a TON of your old support sponges and support when the sump got "flushed,"  so.. nothing "usual" anymore man.

You're right. I'll get on it. Just soooo..... Sleeppppyyyy... [emoji42]

Tell that to the poor dead Anthias! [emoji24]

The one that died of actual starvation was like yours, the biggest one and just really slow to eat anything and really picky... So figured it wasn't going to make it through the transition anyways.

The one that died of the bacterial infection was a complete surprise. No other fishes got the bacterial infection so I feel like he was not of good health anyways and the transition put him over.

I'd like a meeting with the tank moving union rep? I found this guy today back at the old house. He was living in 1.5" of water with no circulation and temperature control. Nevermind I was the one who caught everything out of the tank... [emoji30]

356ffa1b0c04a5b9e770517dd5a3fa4c.jpg

6da41c9c175bafe47579b140a074609c.jpg

Update...

Damage Report:
ORA Hawkins Echinata colony is confirmed toast... Though 3 little tiny nubs may have made it. I'll try to regrow a colony out of them if they survive.
8b73a69a885510b082c62f6072d3e8e0.jpg

Interestingly, my stags were the only other corals really affected during the move so far.

The northern lights tips dried out with the no water move. The tips are dead on some branches but the colony itself is healthy and happy.
9b3ff652444d606cb44a654e5b1d892f.jpg

My teal stag had some STN in the middle of the branches the first day but it has ceased.
c069852f4a84668d78431193a7ae06eb.jpg

My FarmerTy Lotus Blossom took it the worst and 1/3 of the colony RTNed but it looks like it has ceased as well.
6525fec1cb2b66248ce62ce3e9b644b0.jpg

Other than that, all other corals show no signs of any stress from the move other than my polyp extension is not as pronounced as before the move but that would make sense with everything going on. Their colors are actually still pretty decent... I would have thought that I would have lost some color on the acros but most still look about the same.

All and all, I'm pretty happy if those are my only issues from moving a pretty established SPS-dominant tank. [emoji106]

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the corals. When the tips die like that, do you normally cut them off just below the healthy line? When I don't cut the tips they grow algae over the exposed skeleton and look horrible. What do you do when you get RTN through the base of the coral like that? When I start to cut that much skeleton away I always end up with a lot of frags. I think it could be the bone cutters and maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I used a saw. 

Not bad as far as death toll goes. Especially considering I was dipping them in straight tap water before putting them in your tank before you got there :spiteful:

Tiny nubs is all you need of the echinata, the frag I got from you was all but gone when my tank was in a trough for several months. It managed to grow back from only an encrusted frag plug to the golf ball size it is today and is growing at an exponential rate. You can always take some of mine back to reseed your tank if you wish.

1 hour ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

Not bad as far as death toll goes. Especially considering I was dipping them in straight tap water before putting them in your tank before you got there :spiteful:

Tiny nubs is all you need of the echinata, the frag I got from you was all but gone when my tank was in a trough for several months. It managed to grow back from only an encrusted frag plug to the golf ball size it is today and is growing at an exponential rate. You can always take some of mine back to reseed your tank if you wish.

Such a giving person  ^_^

On 4/18/2017 at 2:28 AM, Isaac said:

he hates bags, HATES them.  will chew hole after hole after hole.. and whenever he doesnt chew, he stabs w/ his fin.  we gave up at 5 layers and started the cooler-transport-tank because of him..... thats what the fish is.. a menace!

Apparently I struck a cord with that question, lol!  I guy I'm helping set up his tank wants a blue fish, but I think I'll pass on these:)  

Looking great Ty.  I can tell you that after having an in-wall tank myself the access from the front is a great build in.  I didn't do that and it was hell trying to place coral blindly. 

Thanks Diesel! The original plan always included cabinet doors above for easy, quick access but after I mentioned it to my wife, she turned it into a mandate as she didn't want me to always have to disappear into the fish room everytime something needed to be worked on.

9 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Thanks Diesel! The original plan always included cabinet doors above for easy, quick access but after I mentioned it to my wife, she turned it into a mandate as she didn't want me to always have to disappear into the fish room everytime something needed to be worked on.

plus, if you fell in you wouldnt be able to get out, being so short n all?