FarmerTy's 215 gallon - No Water Changes SPS Tank

FarmerTy

• 2 weeks later...

Ty,

Ill do my best to be succint in my question about your Shadow overflow;  My plan for my 72x30x24h build is to use the Shadow and place the tank only 5 inches from the wall where ill have no rear access.

The plan was to make those initial 3 pvc pipes that gets glued outside the external box, like 18 inches long (vs. 2-10 inches like their installation video shows.) Then place the main siphon's gate valve and unionx2 (for secondary and emergency) at the bottom of those pieces, so I can access them easier under my open back steel stand. Ive marked up your photo in blue to illustrate this - the circle is the gate valve and the single lines are unions. 

My thought process is that worse case scenario if theres a leak or plumbing issue, I can lower the water level below the bulkhead. Detach the 18' pipes from their unions under the stand, and unscrew then lift the external overflow box straight up in 1 piece. The only challenge would be using a ladder to reach and unscrew the overflow bulkhead.

Does this sound like a feasible plan? I know you have your fish room (lucky), but I dont have that luxury. Im trying to convince myself that I dont need to get  an internal overflow and that I can fix any plumbing issues with the shadow this way. And I dont have the ability to leave a larger gap between the wall and tank.

Any advice from you or anyone is appreciated.

20170713_151801.png

This is my first run with an external overflow, and a mass marketed one at that. First impressions are its really quiet, which I appreciate. I also like how little space it takes up in the tank itself, which is the real reason I did it.

Now, regarding the Shadow overflow itself, I've had some issues with salt creep, which unfortunately, how its designed, you'd have to run a good amount of water on the backside of it to keep the incoming water from splashing and causing the salt creep. The reason I mention this now is if you're having the same problem, I could see it becoming an issue with the limited access to the overflow.

From a standpoint of what you're thinking of doing, I don't see why they wouldn't work, to have the unions and gate valve at the bottom where it is accessible from the sump area. I think you'd want to be able to tune it first prior to pushing it flush to the wall first. I've had to cut and recut PVC risers to find the perfect height to set my overflows inside the outside box and I'm still doing it. Though I've been distracted with moving, having a baby, and a ton of work so your progress may be much faster. Only thought is to make sure you have enough room to go up or out the side with the ohter box and PVC when it is actually disconnected.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

This is my first run with an external overflow, and a mass marketed one at that. First impressions are its really quiet, which I appreciate. I also like how little space it takes up in the tank itself, which is the real reason I did it.

Now, regarding the Shadow overflow itself, I've had some issues with salt creep, which unfortunately, how its designed, you'd have to run a good amount of water on the backside of it to keep the incoming water from splashing and causing the salt creep. The reason I mention this now is if you're having the same problem, I could see it becoming an issue with the limited access to the overflow.

From a standpoint of what you're thinking of doing, I don't see why they wouldn't work, to have the unions and gate valve at the bottom where it is accessible from the sump area. I think you'd want to be able to tune it first prior to pushing it flush to the wall first. I've had to cut and recut PVC risers to find the perfect height to set my overflows inside the outside box and I'm still doing it. Though I've been distracted with moving, having a baby, and a ton of work so your progress may be much faster. Only thought is to make sure you have enough room to go up or out the side with the ohter box and PVC when it is actually disconnected.

Thx for the tips. I saw Aquateks new 48x36 tank that was running a ghost overflow, it also had a ton of salt creep on top. 

I assume its bc there's a big drop from the weirs down to the external box, causing a waterfall and splashing? If so, would you be able to close the gate valve so the external box's water level rises so its less of a dropoff?

That's my current goal when I get a chance, except I'll be increasing the height of the risers to do that instead of slowing the flow. But yes, the water crashing down into the external box is creating the salt creep.

If you raise the water level in the external box too much you will cancel out surface skimming.  It's a very fine line.  You want to keep a little tiny stream of water in your emergency drain.  That way the external box is always full to the top if the emergency drain with the surface tension broken so the water is barely going down the emergency.  So if a drain clogs your aren't changing your water level and messing with your ato.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Reburn said:

If you raise the water level in the external box too much you will cancel out surface skimming.  It's a very fine line.  You want to keep a little tiny stream of water in your emergency drain.  That way the external box is always full to the top if the emergency drain with the surface tension broken so the water is barely going down the emergency.  So if a drain clogs your aren't changing your water level and messing with your ato.

I followed Reburn's advice on both my tanks.  My frag tank has been up 9 months and there has been zero salt creep on the ghost overflow so far.  It's also super quiet.  The DT has been up 4 months and also no salt creep or noise ...

2 hours ago, Reburn said:

Whoa! He's alive and also comes bearing safe advice!  Thanks bud!

1 hour ago, jolt said:

I followed Reburn's advice on both my tanks.  My frag tank has been up 9 months and there has been zero salt creep on the ghost overflow so far.  It's also super quiet.  The DT has been up 4 months and also no salt creep or noise ...

Thanks Jolt!  So you are able to accomplish this with only 1 gate valve?  Or did you add a gate valve to both other drains?

Oh, I guess I should update when I have a chance.

So, got marine velvet from a frag last month. Didn't realize that was what it was immediately as I haven't added fish for 7-8 months at that point so just figured ich from the stress of moving. I had already moved my fish out for ich 2 months ago and they were sitting in the tub.

I had put 5 fish back into the DT to test it. They immediately got velvet which I misdiagnosed as ich. Seeing them get spots so quickly, I figured the tank was still crawling with too much ich so I pulled them back out and put them back in the tub, unknowingly spreading the velvet to the rest of the fish in the tub.

Lo and behold, all fish had velvet at that point and before I realized what was happening (velvet can kill in a matter of days), I lost 3/4 of my fish stock, including most of my angels.

So, I'm left with 6 now. Small baby regal, blonde naso tang, 2 clownfish (they survive everything, including the first velvet attack 3 years ago), flame angel, and flame hawkfish.

I lost my emperor angel, majestic angel, flame wrasse and pyramid butterfly fish. I had previously lost all my purple Anthias in the move, lost my powder blue tang and potter's angel to ich, and lost my yellow sided fairy wrasse and midas blenny to my sea cucumber nuking the tank.

So... Its been a rough fish transition with the tank move.

Fortunately, the corals are growing gangbusters so once I get the all clear on velvet, there will be a huge frag sale as I try to build up funds for a fish restocking party.

What's left...
4f351bb1ad4d11647081046f71c8341a.jpg

41 minutes ago, Jimbo662 said:

Man, that sucks so bad...sorry to hear.

Thanks James!  I always take it hard when fish die.  Losing an acro colony is nothing to losing an emperor that you've had for 4 years and watch him change from a juvi to adult.

15 minutes ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

I heard there are streamers? I need pics for proof!!

I would but the pictures would be all crazy blue.

14 minutes ago, brian.srock said:

That really sucks Ty. Maybe we need to put together a grief group that meets monthly to chat about their losses. 

I thought that's what this forum was for?

So sorry to hear Ty. Not to reopen the QT or not discussion, but its these type of tragic events (to ppl who know reefing much more than me), that makes me wonder if the QT hassle is worth it ya know? 

All it takes is a drop of water on a frag or invert to introduce it to your tank. Sucks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Good Greef said:

So sorry to hear Ty. Not to reopen the QT or not discussion, but its these type of tragic events (to ppl who know reefing much more than me), that makes me wonder if the QT hassle is worth it ya know? 

All it takes is a drop of water on a frag or invert to introduce it to your tank. Sucks.

Absolutely.  It really is down to the reefer and how they want to handle their system.  Its all about risk mitigation.

For my thousands of dollars of livestock, its worth it to QT, and if I had QTed the frag, I wouldn't have dead fish right now.  So in my book, it makes even more of a point to QT. 

I think those that don't QT are playing Russian roulette personally.  With the velvet epidemic at the wholesaler level and its increased presence in this hobby, the old methods of just tossing fish in are not as relevant now as they were before.

Changes are even being made at the LFS level with the velvet epidemic.  More are choosing to start treatment at the store level now as they are seeing its occurrence increased over the last couple of years. Its the only way to keep fish alive to even have any to sell.

2 minutes ago, Isaac said:

all that moving coordination for nothing...NOTHING! :( 

At the end of the day, I can always blame the union! :crab:

Well, my corals made it out great!  So there's something to cheer.  I honestly thought I'd have the opposite problem... Bunches of happy fish and a dead coral garden.  Life is funny like that sometimes...

21 minutes ago, Isaac said:

wait, i thought you had like a 13 step dipping process... howd this happen?

I didn't stick with the SOP, it only ended up being a two step dipping process. I blame the little guy for always rushing me.