FarmerTy's 215 gallon - No Water Changes SPS Tank

FarmerTy

Gorgeous pics as usual! Don't you get a bit nervous with how close that anemone is to your rainbow millie? 
That mille is the best fighter ever. I'm going to surround my anemone with milles is the new plan. They both stalemate. Most acros just lose.
  • Like 3

i still think he does water changes, but he's too embarrassed to admit it now.
Bwahaha... I'll send you my water bills! [emoji16]

I did do one 4 months ago when my gonis of 3 years started to die off and I couldn't figure out why. It didn't help. [emoji31]

Looking back, I think it was because I added some wild gonis to the tank and they may have brought in some malignant wild bacteria that my aquacultured gonis couldn't handle. You see a similar type reaction with anemones sometimes.

Main reason is I did nothing to the tank and reintroduced some gonis that Jimbo saved for me and they are fine again.

What a bummer... I lost some large beautiful colonies of gonis.

Cue the pictures to distract!f1c07cf5acefbc38ebe2e879b2407ff0.jpgbd923da1074b9c5b704b4d889f08b177.jpg04dc44e0385e1a7f5d655b4ce6c4d5d5.jpg3a3ea56f76f556e6262fc9bb427016a8.jpgd67011ccf27b456ed28c3ed39d6e937d.jpg03d14d45d32b865a7bed275cd3922cef.jpg5a023255e1db368a2d06a7c332414de6.jpg5bddec4cb3e2d06c5d547688127b3eb3.jpg3b8f42bd7fdff08e1dd587092d1d9992.jpg
  • Like 3

On 1/27/2019 at 7:57 AM, FarmerTy said:

Bwahaha... I'll send you my water bills! emoji16.png

I did do one 4 months ago when my gonis of 3 years started to die off and I couldn't figure out why. It didn't help. emoji31.png

Looking back, I think it was because I added some wild gonis to the tank and they may have brought in some malignant wild bacteria that my aquacultured gonis couldn't handle. You see a similar type reaction with anemones sometimes.

Main reason is I did nothing to the tank and reintroduced some gonis that Jimbo saved for me and they are fine again.

What a bummer... I lost some large beautiful colonies of gonis.

Cue the pictures to distract!3a3ea56f76f556e6262fc9bb427016a8.jpg

Hey whats the bottom left one...the yellow one. Pikachu?

• Like 1

Hey whats the bottom left one...the yellow one. Pikachu?
Tyree Pink Lemonade! That's what it looks like under Radions. [emoji44] I have the pink Floyd, pikachu, and diabolical Pacman. I'm excited to see which will win the crown of best yellow acro.

Tyree Pink Lemonade! That's what it looks like under Radions. [emoji44] I have the pink Floyd, pikachu, and diabolical Pacman. I'm excited to see which will win the crown of best yellow acro.
Pics of the Pink Floyd, Pikachu and Pacman please. Yel-low! Yel-low! Yel-low!..

Especially the Pikachu por favor. That's one of my holy grails [emoji51]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Pics of the Pink Floyd, Pikachu and Pacman please. Yel-low! Yel-low! Yel-low!..

Especially the Pikachu por favor. That's one of my holy grails [emoji51]

They are all just frags but let me see if I can find some pics.

RR Pink Floyd

36b81e6df6edd17e5b76eee90cc955b4.jpg

TCK Plutonium pikachu

13f31614b4fae55d2c70d459f8b4066d.jpg

Diabolic Pacman

24628f77a22b62359d30378e12e88848.jpg

For fun... BC Teen wolf... Which is nicely yellow too.

46cc46e539fbafe1a221b947995a89c8.jpg

• Like 2

FWIW, the pikachu looks less nice then the others but I think that's due to where I placed it. I have it in too high par. I recently removed it from the display and have it in lower par in the frag tank. Hopefully it'll shine in that environment.

They look amazing, Ty. Thanks for the shots. I never even knew there was a plutonium version of Pikachu! And that Pacman is on point. Very interested to see these when they're bigger!

You got it! Its TCK... All he probably did is hit the saturation bar up 5 clicks and add the word plutonium. [emoji23]

I love the diabolic Pacman... Which I was told is the better of the 3. Interestingly, the WWC afterparty... Who's online shots make it look like its from Mars... Pretty much looks like a pink Floyd... So its not a bad one for yellow too.

On 1/31/2019 at 1:51 PM, FarmerTy said:

You got it! Its TCK... All he probably did is hit the saturation bar up 5 clicks and add the word plutonium. emoji23.png

I love the diabolic Pacman... Which I was told is the better of the 3. Interestingly, the WWC afterparty... Who's online shots make it look like its from Mars... Pretty much looks like a pink Floyd... So its not a bad one for yellow too.

😆 Kinda looks like that doesn't it?

Know of anyone who's owned a CB Atomic Fireball?

• Like 1

So you’ve been a long time proponent of not needing a peristaltic pump on your reactor. We discussed this briefly years back. I’ve enjoyed the stability and reliability of my masterflex but the noise and inability to get the tubing it takes any longer have me at my wits end.

Soooo many people report constant effluent fluctuations, valve clogging, and headaches using the push method with a conventional pump.

A new masterflex is definitely not in my budget. A $2400 calcium reactor feed pump is absurd. And I’ve read nothing but horror stories about the kamoer pumps that brs and coralvue are carrying.

Share with us/me how you’re able to maintain such stable alkalinity on your reactor without using a peristaltic pump, and why do you think others struggle so much with it. A mj900 sounds a lot more attractive than a faulty peri pump or a couple grand for a decent one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I'm curious what horror stories you've read about the Kamoer pump?  I use a Kamoer pump with my calcium reactor and can give you some honest feedback from my experience.

I wouldn't consider it a horror story but the first several months of using it was really frustrating.  Air would constantly build up in the reactor and required purging every couple of days.  It's no worse than having to constantly adjust a needle value (using the push method with a conventional pump) but the whole point is to NOT have to mess with it.  Drove me crazy until I finally found a thread on reef2reef with the solution.  The reactor needs to be slightly pressurized to avoid this air build up.  You have to setup the Kamoer to pull and use either a conventional pump or return manifold to push and apply pressure.  Works great now.  I use a Geo calcium reactor so I'm not sure if this problem exists with other reactors.  I've always had issues with air/gas building up in my reactor for various reasons.

Not ideal having to still push with a pump or manifold but I've never been able to get a needle valve to work well, even with a faster stream/drip.  It's also slightly louder than I would like but not too bad.  My tank is in my living room, a couple feet from the couch so you can hear everything.  I've had it for 8-9 months and have not had to recalibrate or change out the tubing yet.

• Like 1

What species are they? esp. Pink Floyd
I never looked into identifying stoneroller so honestly don't know.
[emoji38] Kinda looks like that doesn't it?
Know of anyone who's owned a CB Atomic Fireball?
No, I haven't run across that one Domincan.

21 hours ago, Bpb said:

So you’ve been a long time proponent of not needing a peristaltic pump on your reactor. We discussed this briefly years back. I’ve enjoyed the stability and reliability of my masterflex but the noise and inability to get the tubing it takes any longer have me at my wits end.

Soooo many people report constant effluent fluctuations, valve clogging, and headaches using the push method with a conventional pump.

A new masterflex is definitely not in my budget. A $2400 calcium reactor feed pump is absurd. And I’ve read nothing but horror stories about the kamoer pumps that brs and coralvue are carrying.

Share with us/me how you’re able to maintain such stable alkalinity on your reactor without using a peristaltic pump, and why do you think others struggle so much with it. A mj900 sounds a lot more attractive than a faulty peri pump or a couple grand for a decent one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Short answer bud... Its the reactor design.  I ran 4 reactors up to this point, 3 worked well and never had issues with unsteady flow that constantly slowed down... One did.  After trying everything to try to troubleshoot the one... Came down to design flaws to me regarding pressure.

Some say you can run a prefilter for the CaRX but that didn't work for me either.  So really, get an old PM CaRX, a Korallin, or an MTC Pro Cal and you can ditch the peristaltic pumps.

Otherwise, run a peristaltic or be ready to kick up your flow every 7-10 days when it slows down again.  Just my 2 cents from the reactors I've played with.

11 minutes ago, Merman said:

I'm curious what horror stories you've read about the Kamoer pump?  I use a Kamoer pump with my calcium reactor and can give you some honest feedback from my experience.

I wouldn't consider it a horror story but the first several months of using it was really frustrating.  Air would constantly build up in the reactor and required purging every couple of days.  It's no worse than having to constantly adjust a needle value (using the push method with a conventional pump) but the whole point is to NOT have to mess with it.  Drove me crazy until I finally found a thread on reef2reef with the solution.  The reactor needs to be slightly pressurized to avoid this air build up.  You have to setup the Kamoer to pull and use either a conventional pump or return manifold to push and apply pressure.  Works great now.  I use a Geo calcium reactor so I'm not sure if this problem exists with other reactors.  I've always had issues with air/gas building up in my reactor for various reasons.

Not ideal having to still push with a pump or manifold but I've never been able to get a needle valve to work well, even with a faster stream/drip.  It's also slightly louder than I would like but not too bad.  My tank is in my living room, a couple feet from the couch so you can hear everything.  I've had it for 8-9 months and have not had to recalibrate or change out the tubing yet.

Thanks for the first hand experience.  I plan to try a Kamoer out as well.  My MTC reactor isn't keeping up with my coral uptake anymore and I have a giant Deltec CaRX but it could never keep a stable effluent.  I was going to try the Kamoer on it and see if I can keep it stable.  If so, I'll run that as my new CaRX.

2 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

Thanks for the first hand experience.  I plan to try a Kamoer out as well.  My MTC reactor isn't keeping up with my coral uptake anymore and I have a giant Deltec CaRX but it could never keep a stable effluent.  I was going to try the Kamoer on it and see if I can keep it stable.  If so, I'll run that as my new CaRX.

As far as providing a consistent effluent I have no complaints.  It's solid.  The air buildup issue is probably the most difficult and demoralizing equipment related problem I've ever had in my reefing career.  I just couldn't figure it out and ended up replacing almost everything except the reactor itself.  I even bought a cheap regulator to verify mine was working.  I might be a little sore about it :) Take that away and I would be really happy with it.

I haven't had to perform any maintenance yet so I'll let you know how it goes in case you're still deciding.  Noise wouldn't be a problem for you since you have a dedicated room.  For $260 I feel like it's pretty affordable, even if one craps out early.