FarmerTy's 215 gallon - No Water Changes SPS Tank

FarmerTy

On 7/8/2018 at 8:21 AM, FarmerTy said:

I borrowed a UV strip light from Gig'em who got it from a major light manufacturer. True UV diodes, sub 400 nanometers... Not like Radion or Kessil dubbed UV which is above 400nm... That's really more violet. The look it had was very slightly different from your standard actinic lighting.

While most corals looked similar under regular actinics and the actinic strip with UV, there was one monti, the Cornbred Flaming Phoenix that had some amazing streaks under UV.

White light:
304d447276a2f717d226b66b0cf3601c.jpg

Regular actinics:
32e239e28cc7706fb3e5e4bb68f4c925.jpg

Actinics with true UV:
cb900dc66b0ef9fd7049c7590f02b27f.jpg
7be0d9e535f8ef191d4853148a1ea42f.jpg

My jaw dropped! It blew my mind! emoji50.png

You really are ready to be a coral seller with that light. SATURATTION TOOOO 100000000!000000000000%

I wonder if there are coral health issues when using that quantity of true UV. How does it affect the overall spectrum?

We need to get a spectral analyzer....

Edited by victoly
  • Like 1

You really are ready to be a coral seller with that light. SATURATTION TOOOO 100000000!000000000000%

I wonder if there are coral health issues when using that quantity of true UV. How does it affect the overall spectrum?

We need to get a spectral analyzer....

I swear I was born with blue thumbs! [emoji23]

Yeah, gigem and I were wondering the long-term effects of UV on corals. Now we are barely into UV, like 380-400 range but still...

Well, I finally did it. I fixed the ATI fixture a 2nd time. First time I replaced a ballast... It blew on me 2 days later.

So, on the advice of@Caravanshaka, I grounded the ballasts separate from the fixture. Hopefully this will keep it from shorting out again.

While I was at it... I took the plunge and went 2x GE 6500K. Two yellow bulbs? He's crazy! Its all about the blue world of reefing these days! [emoji51]

6b24f8f127afffc1d8c1ba2f82e7ab84.jpg

• Like 1

I have a 60” ATI Sunpower 6x80w that I would take some frags for [emoji23][emoji15]

I mean, since you need parts and all [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha, I already have a Frankenstein backup fixture I've robbed two ballasts from. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

10 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

Well, I finally did it. I fixed the ATI fixture a 2nd time. First time I replaced a ballast... It blew on me 2 days later.

So, on the advice of@Caravanshaka, I grounded the ballasts separate from the fixture. Hopefully this will keep it from shorting out again.

While I was at it... I took the plunge and went 2x GE 6500K. Two yellow bulbs? He's crazy! Its all about the blue world of reefing these days! emoji51.png

Sounds like you're moving towards a fw planted tank with all that yellow!

But how do you like it? Still getting good colors?

• Like 1

So, on the advice of[mention=5132]Caravanshaka[/mention], I grounded the ballasts separate from the fixture. Hopefully this will keep it from shorting out again.

While I was at it... I took the plunge and went 2x GE 6500K. Two yellow bulbs? He's crazy! Its all about the blue world of reefing these days! [emoji51]

6b24f8f127afffc1d8c1ba2f82e7ab84.jpg

I approve of this message!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Sounds like you're moving towards a fw planted tank with all that yellow!
But how do you like it? Still getting good colors?

I'm getting bored with reefs so this is my slow transition to a FW planted tank. You're on to me! [emoji51]

God those 6500k bulbs [emoji19]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They’re fantastic. Come November when bulb swap time is upon me my blue+ bulbs will be well in excess of 24 months old and the rest will be 18 months. I’ll be going back to two 6500k bulbs myself as well. They look fantastic when mixed with the right complementary bulbs

May seem strange but to me the ab special, coral+ and even the blue+ have a green hue they give off and the yellow of the 6500k helps to balance that out a bit

• Like 2

Well, let's just say I'm undecided right now. It's crazy bright white... The corals themselves look nicely colored still but the rocks are just beaming white. I'm going to give it a week but if it doesn't settle in my eyes, I'm going back.

It reminds me of MH lighting but like way brighter and slightly not calming. The pictures seem more blue but in person, its like I'm interrogating the fish under a spotlight. [emoji50]

eb5c5cc0d28771c9322251ee69d366c9.jpgd010af29e3b8fe5eb95921e4682e0bbf.jpg

• Like 1

You get used to that white. Why not put the two 6500k bulbs on channel 1 of (the 2 bulb channel), and stagger your photoperiod more that way you’re not forced to have it that white for that long if you don’t love it as much. Just a thought

• Like 1

You get used to that white. Why not put the two 6500k bulbs on channel 1 of (the 2 bulb channel), and stagger your photoperiod more that way you’re not forced to have it that white for that long if you don’t love it as much. Just a thought

Not a bad thought. I do like the benefits because I believe the 6500k is mostly responsible for how red my confetti is as the front side of the colony away from the 6500k is just pink but the side facing is a nice intense red.

1 hour ago, FarmerTy said:
1 hour ago, Bpb said:

Not a bad thought. I do like the benefits because I believe the 6500k is mostly responsible for how red my confetti is as the front side of the colony away from the 6500k is just pink but the side facing is a nice intense red.

You should cut me a piece so that I can experiment for you under a more blue light :D

• Haha 1

You should cut me a piece so that I can experiment for you under a more blue light [emoji3]
That's called my frag tank. Muahahaha!
We don't have any Radion data either ...  Ahem ....
Oh dang! Jolt got me... I don't have any Radions... I'll frag you a piece Jolt... [emoji22]
  • Haha 1