FarmerTy's 215 gallon - No Water Changes SPS Tank

FarmerTy

Some colony pics as my color is starting to recover very nicely from the 84 TDS top off water debacle a couple months ago.

Unnamed - its hard to see in pics but there are even more colors on this coral than green and red.
6452da5c46d7f8c8fe8beeab00745a1d.jpg
42f07b1c26beb0391a73f0e48356284f.jpg

FT Blue Lemonade -nice shimmery Pearlberry like color on growing tips and has nice blue polyps that are getting bluer again by the day.
0f67ad410e4bc99ad6ad5eac321d860a.jpg

Unnamed - hard to see in pics too but kind of getting a metallic pink/purple color with green polyps (when the angels let it polyp out at least)
d27c7d37c388cc5ca5bdcd637e424dbc.jpg

CR Electric Miyagi - sooo bright!
e51d653aa14849ef2fee5465e5c57710.jpg

AquaSD Rainbow mille - classic... Looks good in any condition
ce58736536f684de7bff891d102d5926.jpg

Vivid Confetti getting a nice pink overall and almost a reddish color on the base
47d11e5efbf91d293d4e82b88d21f832.jpg

FT purple efflo - can't beat the efflo growth form, so unique.. Add to it a purple base and green polyps... Got ourselves a winner!
0492e42d507c2d259444d84fda3a2fe4.jpg

CC Heaven and Hell - often debated piece... As the original vendor pic was crazy... And maybe a hair oversaturated... And everyone has been trying to chase that look since. I don't think its attainable but what it is currently is still pretty nice to me. Better if my angels would allow the polyps to dance in the current but that might have to wait until it gets larger and has more branches to keep those angels at bay.
c45003c8af0abf3280878154609486f8.jpg

• Like 2

Very Nice !
Very very nice. I Still need to add a frag of that asd Mille to my collection. Beautiful pieces ty as always

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks guys! Color has been coming around since I stopped dumping 84 TDS water into the tank! Hahaha!

5 hours ago, FarmerTy said:
7 hours ago, jolt said:
I did not realize how large the anemone had gotten. Tank looks great!

Thanks Jolt! She's huge! 11" is my best guess! Keep that in mind for your display tank planning purposes.

Thanks, that’s good to know!

• Like 1

Love the FTS ty everything looks amazing as usual

Thanks Shawn! Its finally starting to fill in a bit enough that a FTS isn't so depressing. I can't wait until the giant colonies start appearing!

Here’s a question for you that I’m sure you’ve said before but I’m not about to cycle through everything, why’d you switch from LED to T5?

Easy, I got a free ATI T5 fixture. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

But you'll get better coverage with T5s, less shadowing from a point source light... But you will lose the shimmer.

Honestly, the way I look at it. You'll get slightly nicer color running Radions but you give up a somewhat more natural look that you get with T5s. The biggest tradeoff is shadowing to me... Not now while every has frags and mini colonies, but when you get full on colonies, the directness of the LED beam direction will cause shadows as colonies grow out and you'll potentially get STN in those areas.

T5s and MHs will give you the multiple angles of lights reflecting off the sand and glass that helps minimize shadowing enough that the underneaths of your colonies don't start dying off.

What I will do is swap my Ocean Revives out eventually for Radions over my frag tank... But might wait until maybe the G5s come out, whenever that is. The OR fixtures are doing just fine right now so no rush.
  • Like 1

Its been a month and a half since I started the lighting experiment with anemones.

Here's what I've observed so far:

1) All Infernos have grown tremendously (top box) and have strong bubbling. They are all super bright... Not sure if it captures in the pics but bright bright green oral disc and reddish-orange tentacles.

2) Infernos still maintain a bright green oral disc, tips are still yellow/green

3) Reefwise Lemondrop (middle box) has lost some of its purple oral disc and has gone from a bright yellow color with some green to a yellowish/goldish color. It has grown tremendously in size as well.

4) All CSBs have grown as well but not as quick as the other two types of anemones. They have all turned very reddish/orange and yellow tips. They kind of have that spotted look like a CC supernova on their tentacles. A majority of the green oral disc they had under my LEDs has lessened in intensity, which I consider a good thing.aa2b5268b98c4b6a74b3fe7e9d7cd1f1.jpg

Sorry, I'm lazy, can you summarize what you changed with your lighting for the anemones?
No worries Jim. I took 3 Infernos, 3 Colorado Sunbursts, and 1 Reefwise Lemondrop and removed them from my frag tank under LEDs and put them in a box in my DT under T5s. The plan was to observe color chanves for 3 months but I might stop at 2 months because the box is shading parts of my ORA Chips and I don't think it'll last another month without slowly starting to STN in the shaded areas.