FarmerTy's 215 gallon - No Water Changes SPS Tank

FarmerTy

Yeah, went through DI but with 84 TDS, the DI was spent in a day. I would normally notice the color change of the resin being spent but until last month, I hadn't gotten a chance to mount my RO/DI system on a wall for over a year and it was just sitting on the floor... so visually, it was hard to see the color change. Add to that that I got lazy and didn't check my TDS going out for a bit and now you see how I ended up where I did.

It was only when I mounted the unit last month could I see the DI resin was spent, so I added new resin. Then it was spent in a day and I couldn't figure out why until I noticed the flush valve was open allowing the water to bypass the membranes.

Takes 99 steps to keep a functioning reef tank and only 1 misstep to destroy it. Luckily my misstep wasn't as catastrophic as some others... I only ticked off my gonis and lost 2-3 frags and one colony.

So you have a Manuel flush and not an auto?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you have a Manuel flush and not an auto?

I have two flushes. One is the standard backflush valve added to most RO/DI systems to allow a quick flush of the waste water side of the membrane. Supposedly things can build up and a quick flush can help drain them from the membrane. That's what I accidentally left open.

The other is considered more of a bypass. I installed this prior to the DI stage but after the membranes. It allows me to dump the initially high TDS water when you first start up the system and when the TDS comes back down to 15 TDS or below, I close the bypass and feed the lower TDS water into my DI for final scrubbing. Saves my DI resin and prolongs life and only takes 30 secs to do.

To answer your question question, it is manual. Though when I have time and finalize my RO/DI setup, I will be adding a solenoid controlled by my Apex that will engage the bypass for me automatically, giving me another point of potential failure on my system because I'm lazy. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I have the same, but the DI bypass is Manual and the membrane bypass is auto. Just for something like this!

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquatec-auto-flush-flow-restrictor.html

I like it!

According to experts, as long as you are running a standard 4:1 ratio of wastewater:clean water, the flushing of the membrane is not needed. That doesn't apply for me though as I use dual membranes so my ratio is much lower, probably 2:1 but I've never measured.

Do you have 1 or 2 membranes?

I like it!

According to experts, as long as you are running a standard 4:1 ratio of wastewater:clean water, the flushing of the membrane is not needed. That doesn't apply for me though as I use dual membranes so my ratio is much lower, probably 2:1 but I've never measured.

Do you have 1 or 2 membranes?

I have the 150 gpd upgrade kit (dual membrane), auto flush, and auto shutoff.

• Like 1

I have the 150 gpd upgrade kit (dual membrane), auto flush, and auto shutoff.

Yeah, you'd benefit just like me from the flushing of the membrane so its nice that you have the auto flush.

I've had it happen as well. same laziness to push the little button on the BRS meter at the time. I was doing 20% water changes with 37 TDS before I caught it, so I can def relate.  
I'm allowed one boneheaded move every 6 months. I met my quota for early 2018. [emoji16]

Well your awfully tough on yourself, I'm allowed one a day, and if its not used that day I'm allowed to carry it over, sad to say I'm all out of them for today. 
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Honey, I've been pretty good all week and carried over 5 boneheaded moves... All ready for me to blow it all this weekend! Woohoo!

Got some new goodies in the mail today. Here's some quick phone snaps of them. I'll follow up with some nice DSLR shots when I get my macro lens back from my brother this weekend.

Copps Lemon Lime Hyacinthus

I ordered a large frag, he sent a colony. [emoji54]

93be0e5b13c1db6abbb31e8a868c2698.jpg

Copps Hulk Mille and the one I ordered the pack for, old school 20k lokani. I've been searching high and low for this old classic.

f76b3c039c414b34e4d2b6e6dacbca49.jpg

This pack from a fellow reefer:

BC shizo

West side purplishous

RR Red Bull

TGC Inner Planet

Jose Rainbow

Hungs Rainbow Explosion

The Hung's Rainbow Explosion is ridiculous. I'll let it settle and snap some pics with a good camera this weekend to let everyone see what I'm talking about! Its so nice, I actually saved the encrustment. I never save the encrustment.

30587926a0512a12df13647c12dcef2f.jpg

• Like 3

Your jaw had to have dropped when you pulled out the Hyacinthus! 
Great score on the 20K Lokani!   It and the 30K have such cool growth patterns.  I wonder why those became so hard to find?

I was more perplexed initially as to the sizw of the box he sent the frags in. When I pulled out the hyacinthus... Then I had my answer. Holy colony!

I think because the 20k and 30k are so easy to kill. That would be my guess. Haha.