FarmerTy's 215 gallon - No Water Changes SPS Tank

FarmerTy

Looking great Ty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you sir!
You never cease to amaze me....[emoji7] (that’s for the tank not you) 
Pshhh... You've obviously never spoken to my wife... I turn anything into a compliment for myself. [emoji6]
Goni looks happy again

Two of them actually look better after the large scale water change to get rid of that high 84 TDS water I was accidentally topping off with. One died and the other two show potential for recovery but not there yet.

how did the high tds water happen? Interesting that it had such a pronounced effect. 
You haven't been keeping up with the almost 1000 posts now?

I left the flush valve open on my RO/DI for who knows how long before I realized it. Basically bypassed my membranes.

I’ve managed to keep a green Goni (name🤷‍♀) Alive for 3 years, but it’s never quite happy. I moved it again tonight in another attempt to satisfy it

Do you target feed the goni's?
Never had Jimbo. Just feed the tank like crazy. Luckily, after the large volume water change to flush all that lovely tap water out of my system, two of the gonis have made significant recoveries and two I see signs of hope where there was none before.
I’ve managed to keep a green Goni (name🤷‍♀) Alive for 3 years, but it’s never quite happy. I moved it again tonight in another attempt to satisfy it

I bet once its in the new system, it'll blow up on you! Something about larger water volumes is helpful with gonis.
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

Never had Jimbo. Just feed the tank like crazy. Luckily, after the large volume water change to flush all that lovely tap water out of my system, two of the gonis have made significant recoveries and two I see signs of hope where there was none before.
I bet once its in the new system, it'll blow up on you! Something about larger water volumes is helpful with gonis.

I watched a couple of videos and one guy uses Gonipower from Two Little Fishy's by Julian Sprung and I saw it on Amazon so I thought why not try it. We'll see how they respond.

• Like 1

I watched a couple of videos and one guy uses Gonipower from Two Little Fishy's by Julian Sprung and I saw it on Amazon so I thought why not try it. We'll see how they respond.
I've actually heard good things about it.

Don’t worry, that won’t waver [emoji23]🤣

We can start a support group to help get through difficult times... When you start starting at that green star polyps on the other side of the fence and wonder why you keep torturing yourself with finicky sticks! Sean, I'm having a weak moment, send me pics of beautiful acro colonies please!

7 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

We can start a support group to help get through difficult times... When you start starting at that green star polyps on the other side of the fence and wonder why you keep torturing yourself with finicky sticks! Sean, I'm having a weak moment, send me pics of beautiful acro colonies please!

Hey what's wrong with GSP? Do any of your acros have similar polyp extension? Didn't think so...

• Like 2

Hey what's wrong with GSP? Do any of your acros have similar polyp extension? Didn't think so...
[emoji22] No, they don't have that kind of polyp extension... Stupid angels. Anybody have a rock of GSP? [emoji16]
  • Haha 1

Haha. I get to enjoy the polyp extension for about 12hrs before it's gone. I'm considering just removing my flame angel. 
I would. Polyp extension rocks! Not worth giving it up for one angel. If you go angel nuts like I did, sure... But otherwise, boot flamey!
  • Like 1

I was dumping basically tap water into my tank Isaac! 84 TDS for probably a month!

So I get that it wasn’t pumping water through your membrane... but not through your DI either? You didn’t notice increased consumption of Resin?

So I get that it wasn’t pumping water through your membrane... but not through your DI either? You didn’t notice increased consumption of Resin?

Yeah, went through DI but with 84 TDS, the DI was spent in a day. I would normally notice the color change of the resin being spent but until last month, I hadn't gotten a chance to mount my RO/DI system on a wall for over a year and it was just sitting on the floor... so visually, it was hard to see the color change. Add to that that I got lazy and didn't check my TDS going out for a bit and now you see how I ended up where I did.

It was only when I mounted the unit last month could I see the DI resin was spent, so I added new resin. Then it was spent in a day and I couldn't figure out why until I noticed the flush valve was open allowing the water to bypass the membranes.

Takes 99 steps to keep a functioning reef tank and only 1 misstep to destroy it. Luckily my misstep wasn't as catastrophic as some others... I only ticked off my gonis and lost 2-3 frags and one colony.