FarmerTy's 215 gallon - No Water Changes SPS Tank

FarmerTy

8 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

I've been hiding in shame with my montis whispering to them... The other reefers just won't understand our love... We have to keep it between ourselves okay?

Some of us hide in shame too and understand :wub:

your missing JF brain freeze, Jf mirror warmer, RR Asia Fire porites (which is actually maybe a monti)and JF vino.

i also have Z's dream, Kung pao.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reburn said:

Some of us hide in shame too and understand :wub:

your missing JF brain freeze, Jf mirror warmer, RR Asia Fire porites (which is actually maybe a monti)and JF vino.

i also have Z's dream, Kung pao.

I'm going to have to swing by one day... That is if you'll let me. 😊

• Haha 2

I don't think you or I ever sleep. 
Your clownfish live luxuriously.   🤩
Sleep is a luxury... I'm a daddy to a 1-year old... Reef tank and human. [emoji23]

I know, I wish I had a home like theirs! Yellow tips massaging me to sleep...

Some more fun actinic pics:
Reefwise Lemondrop with CC Inferno anemone underneath
ccee8bcc005c06e85d97737b82a0bf73.jpg

My high end montis beaming under blues:
b19dde5fd0cee2301b36ad3fe41a10b0.jpg
fec7afcafe953cd2d43bd434260ddcd9.jpg

My Aussie gold torch
0a820f8d64aa343d4230c1df05c16df8.jpg

Reefwise Long tentacle fungia plate
a93ff20928bb1e91d2e5ccb10abb7712.jpg

My two subzero frostbite clownfish
cd03a65ff6ca29f371a02e7452e52a7b.jpg

1 hour ago, FarmerTy said:
1 hour ago, Jnaylor said:
Gosh you should really work on the overall aesthetic of your tank. Very boring. 

I can change! I'll spice it up! Who wants to see a baby shark?

Doo dooo doodooodoodooo

• Like 1

Six days since my last post I'm my build thread! I'm surprised nobody organized a search party for me!

So, a lot has been going on.

1) For the last month, I can't figure why my gonis have been slowly declining but everything else is fine.

f603af5b7a7ba8e591dba41c86199cf5.jpg

e969a7886c016e5a1ae3f682be0c36de.jpg

2) Summer heat in central Texas is rearing its ugly head. We've already got a couple 90 degree days under our belts already. Three things I wanted to accomplish before the heat hits:

A) Add dual zoning to our 2-story home

B) Shut off fish room entirely from household HVAC and run a portable AC unit to vent humid air and keep the room cool

C) Add a ton of insulation in the attic

All of these things came together this week and I couldn't be happier with the results. My fish room is comfortable temperature and humidity-wise without affecting the house anymore. I stopped having to run a dehumifier in the house now and the main portion of the home is very comfortable and doesn't get too hot anymore or humid.

The portable unit I went with was a 12,000 BTU unit from Avallon. It functions as a portable AC unit but also as a dehumidifier as well... I put it on auto mode and it keeps it within usually a few degrees of 77 and below 60% humidity. Not bad for a portable unit in 200 sq ft of what used to be my garage with T5s over the display and also a frag tank. It even comes with a pump (main reason I bought it) and has a unique feature to deal with high humidity environments... It pumps condensated water out of the unit and mists it outside! Awesome!

557eaec3d5824b104de846f2374f66f8.jpg

d57e0b1959332ed1e0c53a33cccf60ae.jpg

5a0b8f5acee47741799320de2324565f.jpg

3) I decided to do large volume water changes to see if I can dilute whatever is ticking off my gonis. I did a total of 230 gallons of water change on 300 gallons total over 2 weeks. All tests that I can run myself came back fine for parameters prior to the water changes. Before I did the water changes, I sent off a sample to Triton to see how everything looked. The results should be back any day now. I'll post when I have them.

e6e4304b4ce1d6d67d920b5bedd86446.jpg

4) Moved my RO/DI from the floor (yes, its been there since I moved last year) and finally got a chance to hang it up. Sad part, realized that I had left the flush valve open for only God knows how long. So basically with the way I plumbed my RO/DI, that allowed it to basically bypass the dual membranes entirely! I was feeding my tank 84 TDS water for probably a month at LEAST! Now I know why my gonis are ticked! To top it off, I just did 230 gallons of water change with that 84 TDS water and probably made it much worse! Ahhh! Most SPS are fine except I lost my SC Orange Passion frag and a random tenuis.

21370687a299efd45e4efd2aedd0a11d.jpg

5) Now doing another 250-300 gallons of water change with the now fixed 0 TDS water to dilute what I can of the high TDS water that got into my system the last month or so and also from my 230 gallon water change. Oiy!

That's all the updates I got... Oh wait... The fun part, more frags!

Got a sweet pack from Peng. If you guys didn't see my ravings about Boomcorals about their giant frags compared to most vendors, Peng, a hobbyist, sent me even bigger frags, which I didn't think was possible! Just gorgeous stuff, well packed, and giant... Even tossed in some freebies!

6e7ba68da0753e2c45690449545a69f4.jpg

Alright, I'm exhausted! Thanks for following along everyone!

• Like 1

Six days since my last post I'm my build thread! I'm surprised nobody organized a search party for me!

So, a lot has been going on.

1) For the last month, I can't figure why my gonis have been slowly declining but everything else is fine.
f603af5b7a7ba8e591dba41c86199cf5.jpg
e969a7886c016e5a1ae3f682be0c36de.jpg

2) Summer heat in central Texas is rearing its ugly head. We've already got a couple 90 degree days under our belts already. Three things I wanted to accomplish before the heat hits:

A) Add dual zoning to our 2-story home
B) Shut off fish room entirely from household HVAC and run a portable AC unit to vent humid air and keep the room cool
C) Add a ton of insulation in the attic

All of these things came together this week and I couldn't be happier with the results. My fish room is comfortable temperature and humidity-wise without affecting the house anymore. I stopped having to run a dehumifier in the house now and the main portion of the home is very comfortable and doesn't get too hot anymore or humid.

The portable unit I went with was a 12,000 BTU unit from Avallon. It functions as a portable AC unit but also as a dehumidifier as well... I put it on auto mode and it keeps it within usually a few degrees of 77 and below 60% humidity. Not bad for a portable unit in 200 sq ft of what used to be my garage with T5s over the display and also a frag tank. It even comes with a pump (main reason I bought it) and has a unique feature to deal with high humidity environments... It pumps condensated water out of the unit and mists it outside! Awesome!

557eaec3d5824b104de846f2374f66f8.jpg
d57e0b1959332ed1e0c53a33cccf60ae.jpg
5a0b8f5acee47741799320de2324565f.jpg

3) I decided to do large volume water changes to see if I can dilute whatever is ticking off my gonis. I did a total of 230 gallons of water change on 300 gallons total over 2 weeks. All tests that I can run myself came back fine for parameters prior to the water changes. Before I did the water changes, I sent off a sample to Triton to see how everything looked. The results should be back any day now. I'll post when I have them.

e6e4304b4ce1d6d67d920b5bedd86446.jpg

4) Moved my RO/DI from the floor (yes, its been there since I moved last year) and finally got a chance to hang it up. Sad part, realized that I had left the flush valve open for only God knows how long. So basically with the way I plumbed my RO/DI, that allowed it to basically bypass the dual membranes entirely! I was feeding my tank 84 TDS water for probably a month at LEAST! Now I know why my gonis are ticked! To top it off, I just did 230 gallons of water change with that 84 TDS water and probably made it much worse! Ahhh! Most SPS are fine except I lost my SC Orange Passion frag and a random tenuis.

21370687a299efd45e4efd2aedd0a11d.jpg

5) Now doing another 250-300 gallons of water change with the now fixed 0 TDS water to dilute what I can of the high TDS water that got into my system the last month or so and also from my 230 gallon water change. Oiy!

That's all the updates I got... Oh wait... The fun part, more frags!

Got a sweet pack from Peng. If you guys didn't see my ravings about Boomcorals about their giant frags compared to most vendors, Peng, a hobbyist, sent me even bigger frags, which I didn't think was possible! Just gorgeous stuff, well packed, and giant... Even tossed in some freebies!

6e7ba68da0753e2c45690449545a69f4.jpg

Alright, I'm exhausted! Thanks for following along everyone!

Good lawd. I'm exhausted just reading that. So does your freshly mixed saltwater match your targeted parameters? If not, I get a headache imagining......

Good night.

Can't believe all that
  • Like 1

Good lawd. I'm exhausted just reading that. So does your freshly mixed saltwater match your targeted parameters? If not, I get a headache imagining......

Good night.

Can't believe all that

Who knows! I'll change water and then adjust my parameters afterwards if needed! Haha.

Yeah, living it was no dream either! [emoji51]