FarmerTy's 215 gallon - No Water Changes SPS Tank

FarmerTy

The t5's are sweet, I did not see a bulb combo anywhere though for that secret recipe! 
I'm actually still learning which is the secret recipe. Just swapped to the below and am a huge fan so far:

Blue +
Coral +
Actinic
Blue + (soon to be changed to an Aqua blue Special)
Purple +
Blue +
Coral +
Blue +

On 12/8/2017 at 9:12 PM, FarmerTy said:

I'm actually still learning which is the secret recipe. Just swapped to the below and am a huge fan so far:

Blue +
Coral +
Actinic
Blue + (soon to be changed to an Aqua blue Special)
Purple +
Blue +
Coral +
Blue +

Have you watched the JF video talking about T5 lighting? He uses lots of blue. I will be ordering new bulbs in a few months when I start adding corals. I’m still not sure what I wanna do. I haven’t got to see a lot of 8 bulb fixtures in person. I’m worried about there being too much blue! I like the 14-16k look.

Have you watched the JF video talking about T5 lighting? He uses lots of blue. I will be ordering new bulbs in a few months when I start adding corals. I’m still not sure what I wanna do. I haven’t got to see a lot of 8 bulb fixtures in person. I’m worried about there being too much blue! I like the 14-16k look.
Its too blue. I'm more of a white spectrum guy with a hint of blue. I've been playing around with bulb combos for the last couple months. I'm really liking this one so far and curious how adding that one aqua blue special to the mix will change things.
  • Like 1

Aww cute little emperor! He looks just like mine and about the same size too. Has he started picking on any corals or anything yet?
He started in reverse, picked everything at first and now zones in on pellets. They are apparently tastier. It was a good move on his part as he was a month away from being booted.

7 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:
16 minutes ago, Sascha D. said:
Aww cute little emperor! He looks just like mine and about the same size too. Has he started picking on any corals or anything yet?

He started in reverse, picked everything at first and now zones in on pellets. They are apparently tastier. It was a good move on his part as he was a month away from being booted.

This is the fish that got me into the hobby all of those years ago. I've always read that they often sample everything in the aquarium before settling in. Mine completely leaves the LPS alone, including the candy canes! I don't have any polyps so that might be his dinner bell. I should probably get a colony and try it out. 

• Like 1

This is the fish that got me into the hobby all of those years ago. I've always read that they often sample everything in the aquarium before settling in. Mine completely leaves the LPS alone, including the candy canes! I don't have any polyps so that might be his dinner bell. I should probably get a colony and try it out. 
Give him time. Mine didn't find candy canes tasty until he started transitioning to adult form. Then he ate them like... Well... Candy canes. He devoured half a colony in 30 mins. It was actually quite impressive.

Great pics! You guys that have angels and anemones in a reef tank baffle me! Mine never worked out! Lol
Thanks! I'm really happy with the more normal look of the acros now with the T5s then when I ran LEDs. The LEDs make for great pictures but I always enjoyed a more natural look for my tank, similar to MHs.

I believe that angels don't usually work out but try another anemone. I think you'll be happy with the results. Its a nice contrast to the lack of motion from the SPS.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dustint21 said:

Great pics! You guys that have angels and anemones in a reef tank baffle me! Mine never worked out! Lol

I can't think of any angelfish that eat anemones at the moment. Which one are you referring to specifically? Queen, Blue Face, Singapore and French will eat all types of corals. Emperor, Regal, and Majestic are normally safe with SPS, but may eat LPS and softies. Genicanthus species should be safe with every coral and clams. The dwarf angels vary, but I've had luck with Coral Beauty and Flame. I've heard the Flame Angelfish are hit and miss though. 

2 hours ago, FarmerTy said:
2 hours ago, Sascha D. said:

Give him time. Mine didn't find candy canes tasty until he started transitioning to adult form. Then he ate them like... Well... Candy canes. He devoured half a colony in 30 mins. It was actually quite impressive.

Did the heads grow back or did you recycle the skeleton to the calcium reactor? I only have two heads right now as a tester piece.  I've read they go kind of crazy during transition to get all of the nutritional requirements for the change. Some Emperors never change fully due to poor diet. Did your adult settle down at all?

Did the heads grow back or did you recycle the skeleton to the calcium reactor? I only have two heads right now as a tester piece.  I've read they go kind of crazy during transition to get all of the nutritional requirements for the change. Some Emperors never change fully due to poor diet. Did your adult settle down at all?

I pulled the candy canes and sold them off. He never got another chance to show me he was safe with candy canes again. I've never seen a picture of a large juvi before so can't comment on never going full adult but I've never run across that though I've heard it often.

I'm not sure what you mean by settle down but he never ate any more zoas and candy canes because I had removed them all from that point even into adulthood.

I think Dustin meant owning angels and owning anemones, like individually, not about anemone eating angels if I read that correctly.

2 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:
12 minutes ago, dustint21 said:
Great pics Ty! I really love that you let that one little red anemone hang out under the rock in the back! Its cute! 

Thanks Dustin! Wait, which anemone?

Don’t lie did you go back and look at the pics??? Lmbo