XF280 GYRE vs XF250 GYRE

SChrisEV

My new tank is 8' long by 3' wide, looking at the Gyre Pumps for internal flow.  I'm debating between the XF280 and XF250, the price difference is pretty significant when buying two.

The XF280 max a stated max flow of  6000 the XF250 is stated as 5300.  I plan to have one on each end of the 8' tank.  So I have two questions, one; would you all that have experience with these pumps recommend them, and second; am I good with the smaller flow, or should I go with the large flow?

Thanks for the input.

I'm running a 250 on my 6' tank at about 60% and it blows sand pretty well on the opposite end if not aimed properly..  I would think a pair of 250s on an 8' could handle the load.  That being said, if you can afford the larger I would imagine running at a lower percentage would help them last longer 

That is kinda what I was thinking 5300 gph being enough, I suspect you are right that reduced load would help them last longer.  Do you have the advanced controller?  Does the controller provide an easy way to adjust the overall flow?

I bought the pump only (no controller or pwr supply, it's basically sold as a second unit to add to a pump/controller pair since the controller can handle two pumps).  I paired it up with an icecap controller that integrates with my Apex.  That works well for my needs.  Sorry, no experience with the advanced controller though.

Archived