SKIMZ skimmer and carx

SChrisEV

I'm looking very closely at these two products for my new tank.  Looking for input if anyone has any experience, with these or any SKIMZ products in general.

Skimz Monzter SM252 External Protein Skimmer
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/skimz-monzter-sm252-external-protein-skimmer.html

Skimz Monzter CM202 External Calcium Reactor
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/skimz-monzter-cm202-external-calcium-reactor.html

Thanks!

Skimz skimmers are very well constructed and in my experience, do a great job. That being said, go with BRS' ratings and not the manufacturer's ratings as they way overstate their ratings in my opinion. Once you use the more correct ratings, they become less of a deal in my opinion. Another thing to keep in mind is finding replacement parts are almost impossible. Just ask Juiceman.

As far as Calcium Reactor, I'd stick with trusted brands. A bad CaRX can really make things difficult. Geo's are bullet proof, Korallin works well but overstate their tank capacity a bit, and I'm in love with my MTC Procal unit. Solid hand crafted construction, flawless use, and easily replaceable parts you can source at local hardware stores and plumbing stores.

The Skimz Monzter SM252 is rated to 793g by SKIMZ, but BRS says 360g for a medium load.  I debated the next one up, but it has such a large footprint 15.39” x 21.26" I'm not sure how well it will fit in my sump.  They are external, but I was going that route just because I don't have to worry about the water level.  As for parts, BRS has replacement parts for SKIMZ, yes, not local, but can have them in a couple days.  No skimmer for a couple days should not be a problem.

On 4/7/2017 at 10:17 AM, SChrisEV said:

As for parts, BRS has replacement parts for SKIMZ, yes, not local, but can have them in a couple days.  No skimmer for a couple days should not be a problem.

You can order the parts from BRS, it doesn't  mean they have them in stock though. The Venturi valve broke on my Skimz SM161 and it took 4 months to get a replacement through BRS.  

You can order the parts from BRS, it doesn't  mean they have them in stock though. The Venturi valve broke on my Skimz SM161 and it took 4 months to get a replacement through BRS.  

I think@Juiceman went through a very similar process trying to order a replacement pump.

Life has been busy, I ordered a SKIMZ a few days ago. @Reburn that is a good question. :)  I did not know there were so many documented problems, the reviews I read seemed pretty favorable.  Can you share some links so I can read some?

I went with the Skimz Octa SC255i Internal Protein Skimmer, it seemed like it would fit my new build, I guess we'll see. ;) 

To be fair, my Skimz skimmer works good and I do recommend it.  I dropped mine which is the only reason it broke.  Completely my fault.

The only negative was getting the replacement part took forever.  BRS did give me $25 in store credit for it taking so long though.  Most parts they have in stock, its when you need a part that they don't have it will take a long time.  

I still recommend Skimz overall. The price to quality ratio is very good.

Archived