FarmerTy's Tank Moving Party!

FarmerTy

Hello fellow friends on ARC,

It's that time! Who wants to move a giant SPS tank with super sensitive inhabitants and tons of tech plugged into it? [emoji33]

I'm aiming for next Saturday at 10 am at the old house.

I'll add more details as we go but the jist of it is this.

1) Meet at the old house
2) Pump out as much undisturbed water as I can into two giant water storage containers.
3) A couple people move those containers to the new house and empty water into new tank ahead of everyone else.
4) Remove rocks and corals out whole and transport ASAP to new house
5) Catch out all fish and bag them
6) Leave old sand bed, tank, and stand
7) Grab sump and all equipment and move to new house
8) Add back corals and fish at new house
9) Plug back in all equipment and sump
10) Sit back and eat some pizza and drink some beer and stare at everything slowly die in the new tank. [emoji22] Watching me frantically plug everything back together should be good entertainment as well to go with the pizza and beer.

I'm pretty set on this plan so I don't really want this thread to be a discussion about alternative methods. If you really have a great idea or alternate approach, PM me please and I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Otherwise, I'd like to keep this thread open to just who's down for the shenanigans on Saturday, the 15th, at 10 am.

The best part of this move, not one tank will need to be lifted. I repeat... No lifting of heavy tanks.

Just moving sump, equipment, corals, fish, and rocks. I try to make it easy on everyone. [emoji6]

Sneak peak at the new stand.
86ed53ba591c84e46574d6130e7df2d2.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, FarmerTy said:

I'm pretty set on this plan so I don't really want this thread to be a discussion about alternative methods. 

Its like you are begging for it.

I should be able to help.  Seems like you need to line up some good transportation to make it all work.   My vehicle is not too useful for your big tasks ...

Awesome guys! You guys might think I'm crazy but I'm planning to transport the rocks with colonies on them without water, just wet paper. I'll be doing a test rock this weekend. Taking it out of the tank, wrapping it in wet newspapers, and driving it around the block for about 20-25 mins. Then I'll rinse it in a bucket of tank water and put it back in. If everything survives, that's my plan for transport of the rocks with corals on them.

So with that plan, non-truck vehicles will work just fine for transport. And yes, I'm crazy. But it seems like a worthwhile experiment.[emoji6]

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I helped do that with a friend's tank we moved. We transported the colonies on rocks in a ice chest with wet newspaper. They were out of water for about a hour. Everything survived that I can remember.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I helped do that with a friend's tank we moved. We transported the colonies on rocks in a ice chest with wet newspaper. They were out of water for about a hour. Everything survived that I can remember.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I would he more worried with softies and LPS but I think SPS should take it just fine. Thank you for the reassurance Kevin that someone has had success doing it that way before! [emoji106]

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I know you said no alternative ideas Ty, but have you considered moving everything with drones? You have a drone don't you? Actually, that was probably your drone that was flying over my backyard yesterday while I was working back there.... Drones don't have to worry about traffic or stops, they can fly in direct lines and really minimize transport time! [emoji12]

You've got my help that day, assuming you are serving the hoppiest Oscar blues beer! Nice lookin stand by the way. There's another sweet tank build that also used red for his stand, you should check it out, pretty sweet set up IMHO.

I know you said no alternative ideas Ty, but have you considered moving everything with drones? You have a drone don't you? Actually, that was probably your drone that was flying over my backyard yesterday while I was working back there.... Drones don't have to worry about traffic or stops, they can fly in direct lines and really minimize transport time! [emoji12]

You've got my help that day, assuming you are serving the hoppiest Oscar blues beer! Nice lookin stand by the way. There's another sweet tank build that also used red for his stand, you should check it out, pretty sweet set up IMHO.

I just sent the drone over there to see if the hot tub was free so I could sneak in. I'd use drones but worried about the liability of having 40 lb rocks falling out of the air and purple getting impaled by falling Oregon Tort colonies.

I thought you were bringing the Oskar Blues?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the other tank build copied me with the red stand. Probably saw my build and then went back in time "Biff style" to build the red stand and bet on the Yankees winning the world series. Does that make me Marty? Or am I Doc?

We're having my daughter's birthday party on the 15th. I'll have to double-check the time to see if I can make it. Do you have enough tubs and buckets?

No worries bud. I know you would help if you could. I should be set in buckets and tubs. Just need able bodies that can transport small bins of corals and fish to the new place, no truck needed. Got a truck lined up to move the sump and other trucks to transport the two larger water transport containers already.

48 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

No worries bud. I know you would help if you could. I should be set in buckets and tubs. Just need able bodies that can transport small bins of corals and fish to the new place, no truck needed. Got a truck lined up to move the sump and other trucks to transport the two larger water transport containers already.

It looks like I'll have some time to come help.  :cool:

I am moving my house that day.  If that somehow changes I'll be there.  I'll see ya this weekend tho to help with the new setup!!! [emoji3]

You're the best! Can't wait to destroy my new house with you.

Only bit I could offer would be that the drop off location for the colonies would be a nice house in Georgetown. I'll PM you the directions in case you forget.

And I think you are Marty. I've seen John's hair and it is much more Doc like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived