80 well maybe 120  Gallon Custom Rimless Shallow Reef

tminnick

On 5/22/2017 at 1:03 AM, Isaac said:

add some sensors n the drain pan too!

Question from someone whose never had a controller yet. Besides adding sensors that beep loudly when getting wet, how would someone hook this up to their APEX to shut off their RODI system? 

And could you do this with any brand sensors or RODI system?

I have not ordered the glass just yet. I like the shallow tanks and I am looking at a genesis water change system but I am running into limitations on the space . I have to have my salt and waste tanks under stand as well as fuge so I was thinking about putting a SCA 48 long rimless in the middle of that stand then on one side a chiller and the other a Quarantine tank. This would allow me to have a 80 display with a Quarantine tank on one side and use the genesis to pull from the fuge 1 gallon and dump to a QT tank then that overflows into a waste one gallon every day so so then only have to dump the waste tank once every 2 weeks or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

So this has evolved quite a bit since my last post.. 

I have a stand / fuge / lights / chiller / overflow / QT Tank with NO glass yet but I am leaning towards a 100 to 120 G 48L X 30 W X 20 tall custom tank 

Just a few questions...

1. If you have done almost NO plumbing yet would you start with a FMM ( Flow Meter Monitoring ) or FMK 
  2. Would you consider using the above FMK as a ATO Top off from a reservoir in the attic ? with an Optical sensor and Apex Solenoid ? 
  3. If I have vent fans in the stand would you consider putting the Chiller in the stand and vent to the room ? or even through the wall on the left to the Attic?

File Feb 02, 11 26 23 AM.jpeg

22 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

I would vent to the attic if possible, maybe with a damper setup to prevent hot air from coming from the attic in. My 1/3 HP chiller was a heat producing machine.

technically, it was a heat removing machine :)

I looked at the flow monitor stuff and decided (a) they probably do a decent job on high volume flow (but do I really care?), and (b) they don't go down to low enough flow volume with enough precision to interest me (for my calcium reactor feed and effluent).  I decided to pass on it

I don't know much about their ATO stuff so can't comment on that

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jolt said:

I looked at the flow monitor stuff and decided (a) they probably do a decent job on high volume flow (but do I really care?), and (b) they don't go down to low enough flow volume with enough precision to interest me (for my calcium reactor feed and effluent).  I decided to pass on it

I don't know much about their ATO stuff so can't comment on that

Thanks Jolt for the feedback.. After I read this I realized that I need to rethink this all together as I am not really needing the "Flow" as much as I was looking to investigate how to take a RO to a reservoir in the attic cut off with a solenoid then I can auto fill a ATO reservoir under the tank and once a week dump a large amount of water into a 25g tank under the tank to mix for CWC using a Smart AWC from Aqua... 

I will think more on that later.. 

Basically a "Self Filling Auto Top Off Reservoir" that pulls from a 25g reservoir that can also be used as a quick dump to a 25g SW mix under then tank for CWC

Thanks,

Thomas

• 5 months later...