80 well maybe 120  Gallon Custom Rimless Shallow Reef

tminnick

New to posting but a long time reader. It has been a while since my last post but I am starting back up on a ton of research / investigation..

Target Build

• 48L x 24W x 18T Display  ( Considering either Custom Aquarium or Deep Blue 80 Rimless 
  • Custom 80x20 Aluminum Stand
  • Continuous Water Change ( CWC ) 3 Gallons Daily 
  • Genesis Reef Systems Pro ( Storm / Renew )
  • AP700 Kessil Lights
  • LifeReef CLF2 Compact Berlin Signature Series, SVS3-24 in Sump Skimmer, 
  • 20" LifeReefugium
  • Apex JR.. 

All of this is still a "General" plan and this is going to be a slow build but I want to do it right the first time. 

Just a few quick Mocks of the setup and where I am so far.. 

• Tank ( Top Left ) 
  • LifeReefugium ( Lower Left )
  • Sump CLF2 Compact Berlin ( Lower Middle ) 
  • Top Right RO/DI 26gal
  • Bottom Right Salinity 26gal
  • Grey box are two separate locations I might consider the reservoirs for the Genesis  
  • Waste.png shows the option of "Waste" Holding Tank 30g vs drilling through outside wall and dumping waste to outside of house. 

TopNoWaste.png

SideNoWaste.png

Waste.png

5c63c101c4024ca054016aad35210eb7.jpg

This represents the same image in real space. My wife is ok with me taking the open space between the dining and living but not so happy when I tried to say I wanted to take the space behind the China cabinet to enclose for the water. So everything you see is in the 88 inches to the left. I was just going to skin the 80/20 with something to make it look good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank: 
80 Gallon Deep Blue Professional Rimless Reef Ready (48x24x16)

OR

Custom Aquarium

Overflow: 
Synergy Reef Shadow overflow 16" (hard plumbed)

OR

H2Overflow StealthBox

Sump: 

LifeReef CLF2 Compact Berlin Signature Series, SVS3-24 in Sump Skimmer, 

20" LifeReefugium

Lighting:

AP700 Kessil Lights

Flow:
Ecotech Marine MP40wQD x1  ( Maybe 2 eventually ) 

Controller:
Apex Jr

Water Change: 

Continuous Water Change ( CWC ) 3 Gallons Daily

Genesis Reef Systems Pro ( Storm / Renew )

Please feel free to call out what doesn't look good or doesn't work or if you have an opinion. I want to hear more from the group. Point out the obvious. Poke holes in it.. 

Hopping on board for this one. I have the 80g deep blue rimless and am pretty satisfied with it so far. It's not so easy to find in TX but can still be had for a decent price through fishtanksdirect.com I have nothing but good things to say about the staff and the shipping process.

Pros: The glass is clear, black silicone is great, and for the exact dimensions I wanted - the cost was significantly less then the quotes I got from SCA and Planet aquariums.

Cons - the deep blue stands are junk, from what I read and the quality of the ones I've seen in person, it's a wise choice to build your own. More than happy to discuss mine if you're interested.

- While the Silicone is well applied, the corner seems aren't perfect by any means.

- The overflow only has 2 holes drilled.

Looking back, I wish I have would been a little bolder; bought the untempered deepblue 80g and drilled for a ghost overflow myself. It would have cost a little more but in the long run it would have been the best middle ground between the pre-builts and a custom.

• Like 1

Thanks for tagging along @Bluemoon and thanks for your retrospective feedback. 

As for the Tank the options I am looking at are.  

Deep Blue 80 Rimless RR runs 660.00 shipped for free but I would want to do something different for the overflow all in like you mentioned untempered deepblue 80g and drilled for a ghost overflow from Synergy ( 16" ) is going to run me 750 or so .. and that is 16" Tall 

OR

I could go with the Custom Aquariums.com Rimless 48L x 24D x 18T so a little taller and about 90gallon

- H2Overflow Qty 1  ( Love to hear anyone who is using this because I can't find almost anything online outside of their site ) 

- Siphon Stopper Fittings Qty 2 

- Drilled for above 3 holes

for about 1000.00 shipped to the house. 

I was also looking at their H2Overflow Stealthbox but again I can't find much on it.. 

I have never drilled a tank before so... 

Do I go with the 90g from CustomAquariums.com with the H2Overflow and H2Overflow Stealthbox 

OR 

Deep Blue 80g and a Synergy overflow which ends up being 750.00 and work on my side to hope I don't mess it up.. 

Part of me wants to just go with the CustomAquariums.com option pay a little more but it comes to the house drilled and ready.. 

OR

I can't remember the direct quote from Aquatek but it was a custom from Planet Aquarium which was basically 1k with an eshops ghost overflow 16 tall picked up from Aquatek

Thanks again for the feedback all

Thomas

Doing some research on the Genesis Reef Systems and everyone that has one says it is awesome. My only problem is ... well ONE they are expensive after you add the Tanks for holding the water..... TWO on a 80 to 90 g Display tank I wanted to do about 3 gal a day 7 days a week so around 21g a week water change.. open questions or OPTIONS are  ...

1.  Do I stack the RO/DI over Salinity over Waste in a cabinet to the right of the tank?  RO/DI & Salinity ( 26 g each ) over a 30g Waste tank ( Put it on wheels ) 
  2. Talk my wife into letting me drill a hole through and behind the cabinet to drain outside ( remove waste tank ) 
  3. Leave the RO/DI in the garage on a shelf and "Pump" the RO up and over the dining into the Salinity once a week ( Still need an ATO RO/DI tank but could be much smaller near the tank ) 
  4. Combination of 2 ( Remove the Waste tank ) and 3 Move the RO to the garage leaving only Salinity & smaller ATO near the tank costing me a bit more on another smaller ATO tank & a pump  but saving a ton of room near and under the tank

I am at a point where I am planning to purchase the tanks from Tank-Depot.com I have negotiated the price on the RO & Salinity for 200.00 shipped but not sure I want to pay another 240.00 for the 30g waste with fittings shipped vs just drill a whole and drain outside.. 

The "Grid" in the pic is a idea of the space around 4 to 5 inches deep that I was considering for the electrical Panel in the door 

Tank & Sump on the left

RO/DI & Salinity on the right

Waste on the bottom 

Internal "Wall" to the right of that then China hutch and exterior wall to the right of that.

Am I just trying to put too much thought into this and stuff too much in one space or does this seem reasonable? 

What options do you think are best above ? 

Thanks,

MixStation.png

I recommend to at least get a quote on a Planet for comparison.  It's not a lot of work and Gary at Aquadome is very good at making sure you get what you want.  

Email sent to Gary for a quote thanks for the suggestion

• 1 month later...

CWC starting to put a few things in place. I have decided to put a 25 gal tank in the attic to hold the RO/DI water at all times. I will pipe this through the wall and down under the tank into the salinity mix tank.

5963eaf6892f98cc5b193ec6a6f7b7b0.jpg

4ddb16d5f09315163c143e77b0146e38.jpg

14959f7e4be117dc08fd165051bbf8db.jpg

Thanks guys! Luckily placement is next to an A/C unit with condensation drain so adding a pan should be easy. Good call out. I have a water sensor in the A/C pan now tied to my blink / Smartthings home automation as well so adding another is easy. Working on plumbing the mix station and waist now

Starting to dry fit the mix / waste station. The R/O will come in to the left tank and I will dump salt and mix. Waste from the genesis system will drop into the right tank and I will pump it out a window once a month

eba63033e12bfa4ef78a20f4d598f8d1.jpg

why store waste? wouldnt one tank ro and one tank salt allow for more "on demand" need in an emergency?

Hey
I am preparing for a genesis system ( water change) RENEW system
I will be installing a 25 gal R/O tank in the attic to feed the salinity tank as needed ( about once a month )

Waste is being stored due to the location and the fact my wife doesn't want me to cut multiple holes to drain outside

See earlier post with pic of the opening / location

The idea is that I can drop 25 gal to the salinity and mix then the renew water change system changes about 1 gallon a day over 30 days or every other day

Takes 1 from sump and 1 from salinity then swaps the old sump to waste and new to sump

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...