Nano tank question

Rocks Reef

Water changes...

Biopellets and GFO work well. If you can fit one, the marinepure bricks will facilitate denitrification. There's nano's running full zeovit and other ULNS systems as well, definitely helps to have one with a sump. But really, water changes and selective stocking and feeding are the bulk of most nano and pico tank's nutrient control.

Same thing everyone else uses.  Carbon and Phosphate removers like GFO, Phosguard, ClearMax ect...  Biggest difference is you may not have a sump and the ability to use small reactors  So you would need to use bags designed to contain the products of your choice and leave in high flow areas.  Be sure to wash any product well to remove dust with RO water prior to usage. 

As far as choice most reefers would choose GFO although in the past I used Sea Chem products with good results.  PhosGuard and Purigen.  How ever some Palys and Zoas don't like the Aluminum content of these products. 

Research any product before use. 

The other issue is that no matter what you do, over time there will be a buildup in your substrate if you are only doing water changes.  You can run bare bottom which will prevent that, but if you have a good mix of sand-turner clean up crew you can work to reduce a lot of it.

It really depends on the size of the tank. Anything less then 20gallons...a weekly 5g water change CAN NOT BE BEAT. Not only will it lower your phosphates and nitrates but it'll also keep your minerals constant.

I've tried mini-reactors, skimmers and bags of carbon & gfo. I always noticed switching out the gfo, even in small amounts would cause a drastic change in po4 levels. The smaller skimmers were best served as aerators, with the exception of the IM ghost skimmer -it was by far the best nano skimmer I've used, but you can buy 175g of pre made salt water from your LFS for the same price...

Sticking just to water changes and high flow(with a bag of carbon on stand-by) maximizes the amount of space in the display, keeps things looking clean and most importantly keeps the focus on the live stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived