Coral Spawn

Kevin S.

I recently got some moon lights on my tank, now I dont know if that is what caused it but something in the tank spawned and now the water is very cloudy. I did see a mass of some type of eggs also. I have my skimmer running of course but what should I do. Im worried this will foul the water. I have a 125 with a 55g sump. I also just did a water change. 

Any advice? 

Have you performed a sizable water change? Swapped out carbon? Im impressed that something spawned so quickly after adding lunar lights, I've been running mine for a year and haven't seen anything spawn except my mandarins once. I'm kinda jealous! But every time I've heard of these people have performed large water changes and everything was fine.

So a little more information, I did just install a new sump due to my old one starting to leak,(what a nightmare!). I added only about 10 gallons of new water during the process but Im concerned about the lack of beneficial bacteria due the new system, even though it has 40 lbs of rubble rock that I transferred. I did this in a day fyi. 

This happened last night about 11pm last night and this morning everything is clear. I don't see anything closed up or stressed. All the fish seam fine also. But I can still smell the odor from the spawn coming from the skimmer. 

I dont run carbon in my tank cause I would think it would strip the trace elements out and Im fairly sure it was my 12" 7 year old Seabae that did it also. 

While not pertinent to your cloudy water, I've been using carbon since I've kept reef tanks and also the last 6-7 years with my no water change husbandry and if there was a major issue with it removing trace elements, I think it would have been an issue by now. Not saying it doesn't remove some trace elements but seems to be insignificant.

Archived