*URGENT* Plumbing Question

Brooks

UPDATE 03/17/2017: 

Got the new tank in, and its great. However, the dual overflows are not working, unfortunately... It came with a plumbing kit, but I noticed that the two standpipes are different heights. So, filled the tank with water, tried to get them to work, but can't... perhaps I assembled them incorrectly? Attached are photos of what it came with. 

There is a part on each black drain that has a small hole drilled at the top, and one on the side. The one on the top has a piece of hosing in it... where the heck are these things supposed to go? 

Any help with this is appreciated. 

Hi all, 

If you've been following my build thread, you've read about my issues the silicone seams in TWO MarineLand tanks. After worrying too much, and not wanting to worry anymore, I decided to go with an 85g Planet Aquariums Crystalline aquarium. Now, I read that it comes with a single overflow box, but has two durso overflow drains. Seeing as I just spent a few hundred dollars on an Eshopps RS100 sump that has a single intake line, I need to figure out how to plumb both overflow drains into the single drain. Is this possible? Could I potentially just plug one of the drains? Or should I create a T from the single sump intake that will take two lines from the overflows? 

Here is a link to the sump that I purchased, and a link to the PA specs... 

SUMP: http://www.eshopps.com/products/filters/reefsumps/rs100/

TANK: https://www.planetaquariums.com/crystaline

Any help is appreciated!

Why don't you go with a herbie style drain.  You have the main drain with a gate valve and the other drain is your emergency drain.  Then you have a nice, quite drain.  The emergency drain can be routed into any part of the sump.  

5 minutes ago, madsalt said:

Why don't you go with a herbie style drain.  You have the main drain with a gate valve and the other drain is your emergency drain.  Then you have a nice, quite drain.  The emergency drain can be routed into any part of the sump.  

I like that idea! I guess I can route the emergency drain into the skimmer chamber? 

Exactly.  My main and first emergency go into one chamber and the second emergency goes into my return chamber.  I have 5 holes so i have one main, two emergency and two returns.  Your tank with three holes will work fine.  

+1 to madsalt's suggestion. I routed my emergency drain into the skimmer chamber.  It doesn't have a bulkhead mounting to the sump like the main drain, but it's fine

UPDATE 03/17/2017: 

Got the new tank in, and its great. However, the dual overflows are not working, unfortunately... It came with a plumbing kit, but I noticed that the two standpipes are different heights. So, filled the tank with water, tried to get them to work, but can't... perhaps I assembled them incorrectly? Attached are photos of what it came with. 

There is a part on each black drain that has a small hole drilled at the top, and one on the side. The one on the top has a piece of hosing in it... where the heck are these things supposed to go? 

Any help with this is appreciated. 

5 minutes ago, Isaac said:

i'd use "kit" loosely here.   just go get some replacement pvc and cut to length.  you wont need to glue any of it together :)

here is the general idea of what you are aiming for: https://www.dursostandpipes.com/   https://www.dursostandpipes.com/make-your-own-durso-standpipe

I found that link but still couldn't figure it where the piece with the holes should be; on the pipe or on the "arm"

8 minutes ago, Isaac said:

the top hole?  doesnt matter really... over the long pvc is suppose to be quieter (why you see it as a tee in some designs)

There are two little holes on the sides of the same piece that has a hole at the top with the tubing coming out of it. Not even sure what they're for. ?

It looks like he had this as some sort of modified durso.  

I would put the bulkheads in and then put the short pipe in.  I would then make sure the other pipe is in the other bulkhead.  The second pipe is higher because it should be just above the water line and the short one should be about 4-6 inches below the water line.  Those elbows aren't necessary all you need is a strainer cap on the short one.  I'll post a pic of what mine looks like shortly.  

To use it as a herbie you need to have a gate valve NOT a ball valve.  The gate valve goes with the short pipe as this is the one you will use control the water level

5 minutes ago, madsalt said:

i'll be down that way tomorrow, when are you available?

I'm going to try and take off tomorrow all day. I will let you know early AM if I can't get off! 

THANK YOUUUUU!!!! :cheer:

11 hours ago, madsalt said:

Wow ok.  Those pics are deceiving lol.

I let things ride last night and I actually think it's working out. I'm thinking it's just that I'm not used to this type of overflow. The little holes in the side don't allow for a normal suction but do make it very quiet. I finally got the bulkheads to stop leaking, too. ?

Archived