Acropora browning

Rocks Reef

IME browning is nearly always due to water quality, but it could also be insufficient lighting or lighting type. I experimented with millepora under straight 6,500K and found that they had good growth but turned brown. I believe it due to an supersaturation of zooxanthellae produced under that lighting type. 

Directly under 250W 14k twinarc. Photo was under just the 10k/actinic supplement fixture. Will check parameters after work. Red Sea PO4 is crap tho, need a Hanna! Any have one I could borrow? Or does any local LFS sell them?

26 minutes ago, Rocks Reef said:

Directly under 250W 14k twinarc. Photo was under just the 10k/actinic supplement fixture. Will check parameters after work. Red Sea PO4 is crap tho, need a Hanna! Any have one I could borrow? Or does any local LFS sell them?

If it's under a 250W MH then it's probably not the light, but it's possible that you're giving it too much light. What is your photo period? PO4 tests are notoriously unreliable and I wouldn't bother with it. If I suspected a water quality issue, then I would just take action to correct both NO3 and PO4 under the assumption that it exists. 

1 hour ago, Rocks Reef said:

Thank you all for your comments! Picked up a used BRS dual chamber reactor for $5!!!! Yup, $5!!

Also ordered two reef bright actinic bars.... We will see how it goes.

Jump the gun much? :fish:

If you had that kind of growth rate in a month I'd say you have an ideal amount of zooxanthellae.  In our quest for colors it's very rarely passed on to new aquarists that brown is the healthiest color a coral can have.  (Of course there's other causes of browning besides zooxantheallae.)   Not having to make fluoorescing or chromo proteins to protect the zooxantheallae means there's more energy the coral can put into growing.   As you add lights to bring out colors be very patient, it takes a coral weeks to months to make new fluorescing and chromo proteins.   If colors show up as son as you make a change to the spectrum then the colors were already there but the ratio of color spectrums wasn't conducive to showing them.   Also, a lot of problems are blamed on PO4.   Look at the distribution of PO4 in the oceans and you'll see lowest on reefs and reefs may see levels as high as 2.0 mg/l.  And PO4 may be the reason your frag grew so fast.  Phosphate is a limiting nutrient for a coral to use nitrogen and there is a direct corelation bewteen coral growth and increasing PO4 at levels normally found on reefs.

Corals in the ocean are brown. They get too much 6,500K spectrum. Add more 400nm to the sun!

It's funny, but all of my corals were brown in 2000 and that was considered successful. I had to order the ones I had online because the LFS in Seattle didn't even carry corals! Here we are 17 years and a few versions of Photoshop later and brown is unacceptable by most hobbyists standards.

8 hours ago, Sascha D. said:

. . . They get too much 6,500K spectrum. Add more 400nm to the sun!  . . .

I hear ya!  Just think how many more people would be interested in saving the reefs if they were prettier!

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:06 PM, Timfish said:

I hear ya!  Just think how many more people would be interested in saving the reefs if they were prettier!

That is sad but true.. 

However I'd be just as happy to see a lot more brown reefs versus the bleached out bone-yard reefs that seem to be more common now...

Archived